Spyderco cricket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GEC

Spyderco cricket

Post by GEC »

So. I was thinking about getting cricket for a edc/small last effort SD. I was wondering what people on here think about it. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I would like to get a smaller knife to pair up with my delica. Maybe I might carry it more since it's a smaller knife for certain occasions. I figure it should be as big as a dragonfly.
Oh does anybody have a comparison of a cricket next to delica and a dragonfly? I just want to see if it's to small.
Regards,
Gil
Edit: ok, I researched a little on the web about the cricket and it seems everyone love it. I just want to see a size comparison to the delica and dragonfly if possible.
markg

Post by markg »

The Cricket is great, maybe one of the best knives Spyderco has ever made. It makes short work of of the bane of modern existance, blister packs.

As a last ditch SD tool? Ah, I would rethink that. Honestly, if you are pairing this knife with a Delica, give the Delica that role. The Cricket will handle just about everything eles.
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hey MARKG,

You took the words right out of My mouth, CRICKET, How can You go wrong!!! Buy one, and I'll bet You end up buying more!!! Your going to love it like the rest of us. GEC, sounds like You have some shopping to do!
Have a great Day,
Charlie
P.S. Crickets, Delicas, and Dragonflys are three of My most favorite Spidies for EDC. Also, I generally have all three on Me daily. Sometimes I swap the Dfly for a Ladybug, or an Urban. Sometimes I swap the Delica for a Strech, or a Cally 3. I always carry the Cricket!

markg wrote:The Cricket is great, maybe one of the best knives Spyderco has ever made. It makes short work of of the bane of modern existance, blister packs.

As a last ditch SD tool? Ah, I would rethink that. Honestly, if you are pairing this knife with a Delica, give the Delica that role. The Cricket will handle just about everything eles.
jldc

Post by jldc »

The cricket was my first and may still be my favorite Spyderco. You won't regret buying one.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

The Cricket makes a cool money clip as well, I always carry one.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I've heard great things about the cricket. Throw some frn on it as a new release and I'd purchase a few.

Not to thread hijack but does anyone know why this is one of Spyderco's only knives not currently offered in an frn package? It would weigh under an ounce and be perfect imo. Any plans for this?
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

Bad picture but it's all I have time for right now. I hope it helps.
Attachments
Cricket:Dfly.jpg
Cricket:Dfly.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
GEC

Post by GEC »

Wow thanks guys for the quick responses! Thanks jabfynger for the pick too. I beginning to really like the idea of having the cricket for an edc. Now I just need to decide whether I want a SE or PE. Mostly likely go with a PE for ease of sharpening. I wasn't going to use the cricket for a SD knife unless I really have to and I mean as a last resort kind of thing. since their will be times where I'm just going to have just that. Like when I go jogging or special occasions. How does it fit for IWB carry?
Once again thanks everyone!
Regards,
Gil
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

the yellow horse crickets are awesome
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

GEC wrote:Thanks jabfynger for the pick too.
No problem! As you can see from the picture, I like PE for the tasks my Crickets get used for. IWB carry is no problem at all with the thin profile and long steel clip. I carry mine clipless in the watch pocket of my jeans, but wouldn't hesitate to carry it IWB.
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I might catch some flack over this but i am not a big fan of the Cricket and it is one of the lest carried Spyderco's i own. I just don't find the blade shape very useful for my needs and prefer the Spin over the Cricket.

Ladybug
Spin
Cricket
Dragonfly
Delica
GEC

Post by GEC »

Thanks gunnut35! Now I can see how the size comparison is between a delica, dragonfly, and cricket. The bonus is the other ones too.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

The ladybug gets used the most since one is always on my keychain. The spin is always with me as a money clip and the dragonflys are perfect little knives that cut like a big knife, and you cant go wrong with the FRN or the g10 version.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another great use for the Cricket is as a true pocket knife. I took off the clip of my SE Cricket, added a lanyard and it's a great cutter for pocket carry. Very comfy to carry that way.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

I can't say anything about the Cricket that hasn't been said before. I love mine, wish I had a couple more. Makes a great LBK, moneyclip (though the more Spydies I buy, the less I seem to need one lol), and of course the blister packs. It'd be worth it to own one even if that's all you did with it. In fact, I think I'll go grab mine and carry it for the rest of the day! :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
KBR

Post by KBR »

After taking a long hiatus from knife collecting, the SS Cricket SE was one of the first Spyders that I picked up and the only one that I carry everyday in, and out of, the house. I thought that I loved the Cricket with FRN but the SS and framelock makes this little bug perfect, IMO.

As for the Cricket being used as a last ditch S/D effort.....I think that the SE Cricket could cause enough damage to be a diversion for you to get away from an assailant, IMO, unless they are high on something. Of course, stabbing is useless with its' blade shape, however, the SpyderEdged, hawkbill blade could make some pretty good cuts.... ;)
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Cricket might be the best slasher in that blade length but I would prefer something longer or better for inertial opening if I were using it for SD.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
GEC

Post by GEC »

Thanks everyone! I'm ordering one at the end of this week! I really don't plan on using it as a primary SD knife. If I had to, it would be just enough to get away or get a slight advantage to use my DT training.
Once again guys thanks for the replies!
Regards,
Gil
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The FRN cricket is my favorite in m collection, has been for the last 3 years, and I have some pretty cool spydies.

Get the SE. PE is best on most knives, but the cricket is a se knife through and through, the PE version is not nearly as effective in my experience.

I find the SS cricket to be too slippery for my tastes so I recommend adding some skateboard tape to the clip and non locking side, ESP if SD use is in mind.
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

Thanks Mark for the skateboard tip, why didn't I think of that! LOL!
Charlie

mark greenman wrote:The FRN cricket is my favorite in m collection, has been for the last 3 years, and I have some pretty cool spydies.

Get the SE. PE is best on most knives, but the cricket is a se knife through and through, the PE version is not nearly as effective in my experience.

I find the SS cricket to be too slippery for my tastes so I recommend adding some skateboard tape to the clip and non locking side, ESP if SD use is in mind.