Manbug Release?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PsychGrad

Manbug Release?

Post by PsychGrad »

I noticed that this model isn't in the 2011 catalog. How long will it take to go from prototype to production. This model looks like it may be a perfect small pocket folder for the summer months.
"It's not the critic who counts. The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PsychGrad,

We have no dates yet. I often guess wrong, but I'd guess close to the end of the year. We left it out of the early catalog. We're working on the mid-tear flyer now. Hoping for projected delivery dates soon.

I carried the protoype quite a bit. It's a solid little knife. I usually have an FRN Ladybug with me (right now it's a ZDP model) so I'm looking forward to the Manbug as well.

sal
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

sal wrote:(right now it's a ZDP model)
and when will we see our brg zdp ffg ladybug sal? :confused:
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
PsychGrad

Post by PsychGrad »

Sal,

Thanks for the update Sal.

Clay
"It's not the critic who counts. The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena."
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Sal

Can you explain why Spyderco decided to add the extra belly on the Manbug blade

would it benefit such a small small blade??
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DD,

Interesting question.

The model ws to be wider than the Ladybug by a fair amount, considering the overall size of the knife. I wanted to takie advantage of the width. If we just made a larger Ladybug, then what fucntion would the model serve that the Ladybug couldn't do as well?

I spent quite a bit of time studying the shape of the blade. I decided tha the advantages of the larger size would be in a more versatile and robust blade. A shape capable of larger knife tasks. The more pronounced belly adds some capability such as skinning or belly first cut initiation.

sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

sal wrote:Hi DD,

The more pronounced belly adds some capability such as skinning or belly first cut initiation.

sal
Skinning with that small knife!?!?.....................you know what, I tempted to try it on a deer!
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Really looking forward to this one, hope it comes serrated too. Or even, dare I dream, 50/50.
sal

Post by sal »

RJNC wrote:Really looking forward to this one, hope it comes serrated too. Or even, dare I dream, 50/50.
First in a plain edge to determine demand and possible glitches. Then anything is possible.

sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Hey Sal

I am really looking forward to this knife. I always wanted a more dressed up ladybug for dressier occasions.

But after much thinking, wouldn't it make sense to have less belly and maybe even go with a straight edge to maximize the cutting power of the small blade.

I would have to think most customers would be using this knife more for EDC task of cutting open packages and boxes rather than skinning a deer.