Spyderco Collection Stolen--Could use help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fish

Spyderco Collection Stolen--Could use help

Post by Fish »

Yesterday my brother's Spyderco collection was stolen. Someone broke into his house and pretty well cleaned out his knife collection. He lives in St Croix in the US Virgin Islands, so if any Spyderco knives show up on ebay or any other sites being sold from St Croix, they will be his. They also stole a knife I made for him. It has Jade green G11 scales and is stamped M.Griffin on the tang. Crazy thing is that for some reason, they left a blue Lum Chinese Folder that was with the rest of them. My brother has worked on this collection for years and he is pretty bummed. I hate thieves as do we all so lets try to get these suckers. If anyone sees any of these knives, please email me at griffinknives (at) gmail (dot) com

Here is a list of the stolen knives:

Damascus Delica
Titanium Lum Tanto PE
Titanium Lum Tanto Part. Serrated with a rhino engraved on one scale
Lum Tanto G10
Lum Tanto G10 Black Blade
Lum Tanto Fixed Blade
(2) Lum Chinese Folders Black w/ ZDP189
(2) Lum Chinese Folders Green PE
Lum Chinese Folder Foliage Green
Lum Chinese Folder Foliage Green Black Blade
Lum Chinese Folder Titanium
Lum Chinese Folder Carbon Fiber
Large Lum Chinese Folder G10
CF Military with BG42
CF Stretch ZDP189
Police Flat Ground Serrated G10 old run
SS Police Serrated
JD Smith Micarta
Wayne Goddard Micarta Part Serrated Large
83mm Persian
75mm Persian
Kris
Calypso Jr Micarta PE
Pacific Blue Kopa
Black Quince Kopa
Walker with FRN scales
Blue Almite Walker
Aqua Salt Fixed Blade
Santa Fe Stoneworks Dragonfly
Santa Fe Stoneworks Worker
Endura PE Brown Scales
Endura Serrated Black Scales
Endura Wave Blue Scales
Delica Wave Blue Scales
Native PE stainless
Native PE FRN
Native with homemade wave
Catcherman Part Serrated with MBS26
Blue Salsa PE no chilipepper
Volpe
Tasman Salt PE
Merlin SE
Tenacious PE
ATR Serrated Black Coated
Little Temp Leaf PE
Pro Venetar PE (His first spyderco from waaaaaay back in the day)
Pro Grip
Benchmade Mini DejaVoo (He purchased to support local knife shop ;) )
M.Griffin stamped fixed blade with Jade green G11 scales

Thanks.

-Mike Griffin
“If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say”
-Jack Handy
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Man really sorry to hear that. I'll keep an eye out. Hope you catch this prick.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Sorry to hear that Mike. will watch oout for them
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Sorry to hear that Mike, will definitely let you know if I see or hear anything. Out of curiosity if you don’t mind sharing, did they steal other items as well? That is a lot of knives to be hauling out, did he have them on display that someone may have known about or were they all stored somewhere.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry to hear that your brother's home was burglarized. Were any of the knives CC#d? Much easier to ID them that way if they turn up on eBay, since sellers don't always list their real address.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fish

Post by Fish »

As far as I know, none of them were CC#'d. I know that more than likely, he will never see his knives again, but figured a person has to at least try. Crooks seem to generally be pretty stupid, so maybe they will sell them on ebay and give their real address.

They did get some other stuff jewlery, ipods, camera, but the knives were the most valuable loss. They were on display, but in his bedroom and not really visible from the main part of the house. There is a lot of property crime in St Croix and the thieves used a pillow case to hold stuff. Not a very sophisticated crime.

I do appreciate everyone keeping their eye out for them. Thanks.

-Mike
“If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say”
-Jack Handy
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

These will be sold to other thugs/thieves. They'll never make their way to eBay. The thieves have no idea of the value of many of these, as knife collecting is a rather obscure and niche hobby. They're being sold for a few dollars underneath bridges and in abandoned buildings.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sorry to hear about that. :(
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fish,

Really sorry to hear that. It's quite a collection. We'll keep our eyes open.

I would like to say that I'm hearing of this more and more. I personally know two that have had their houses broken into and their Spyderco collection stolen. One might be moved to protect against that.

sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

oh man, i would have broken down and been sick if that happened to me :(
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

It sounds a tad targeted to me. They left the Chinese Lum yeah? Why? They took EVERYTHING else? Could be another collector or someone he showed his collection to.

Was the collection secured? In what way? I prefer a 150 kg steel locker with shaker bolts to keep it all safe when I aint at home.

I hope he gets some of it back somehow. If its another collector however I would suspect they would go to ground with the gear for a couple of months before they start unloading it. Keep an eye on the bladeforums trade section also just in case. Would be an easy way to launder the gear.
Fish

Post by Fish »

My brother thinks it is likely kids or a crackhead. He had the knives all hanging on wooden pegs so I wonder if the blue lum got hung up in a hurried attempt to grab and just got passed by. St Croix can be a rough place. His dog just died 3 weeks ago and already a break in. Makes one wonder how often that dog earned its keep while it was alive. He is going to get another dog asap.
He always thought about putting them in the safe, but figured the risk was worth the enjoyment of looking at them and rotating knives all the time. The bummer is that a lot of them are virtually irreplaceable. He knows a lot of people on the island and will spread the word. He is also very pissed and will be keeping his eyes peeled for a clip with a spyder on it. I wouldn't want to be a guy walking around that island with a rare spyderco from my brother's collection in my pocket. I told him just not to do anything crazy and end up stabbed with your own knife.
Hopefully he gets them back, but there isn't much hope.

-Mike
-Jack Handy
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

man... i had to stop reading less than halfway down that impressive list. it's heartbreaking... i hope ya'll find that f*ck head.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Wow, really makes you look at the value of your collection and how it is secured.

I hope this does not sour him on knife collecting.
His 1st purchase should be a safe.
But you do loose the satisfaction of seeing them.....

Tough call.

Hope you find the crook & put him behind bars.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

So sorry to hear that. You are saying that the dog just died. Also, not a lot of people can tell the value of these knives. My first hint would be kids, so if you have any in your family, ask them to keep their eyes open in school. Most of the time, stolen murchandise gets sold there. Seen many cases. If you get something, call the cops. You know kids our days...
Senate

Post by Senate »

so sorry for him...
he should keep an eye on pawn shops and knives stores in his aera, in case they want to make quick money on them.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

If you haven't done it yet I would go over to blade forums and post this up over there. The more eyes on this the better and there are a lot of eyes over there. Sorry to hear about the loss. That really sucks. I would have him canvas the **** out of pawn shops in the area. If some doper kids got them that's probably where they will go.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

If by some chance they make it to the Blade Show, someone with a printer could do a blowup and post at entrance. Also alert airport security of any baggage with large amounts of metal. I get around to a lot of gun and knife shows and will be on the lookout. Take care.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'd put up a load of posters on the island too ... just in case the thieves ditch them somewhere when they realise they can't sell them for much. A friend of mine lost his butterfly collection and some books to thieves and in the end the kids left them all in a dumpster around the corner. :(
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Fish

Post by Fish »

I just talked to my bro again and he thought of 4 more knives so I added them to the list.
ATR Serrated Black Coated
Little Temp Leaf PE
Pro Venetar PE (His first spyderco from waaaaaay back in the day)
Pro Grip

Also found out they left the Blue Lum, a Dodo, and two other Santa Fe Stoneworks Dragonflys. Not just the Lum.
Interesting enough, there are no pawn shops on the island so the thieves can't go that route. Hopefully the knives aren't sitting in some bushes somewhere. I will keep you all updated if there is any news. Thanks.
This is also posted over on bladeforums.

-Mike
-Jack Handy