Kydex Sheaths

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ToXicFrOgXx

Kydex Sheaths

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

Hey guys. Im looking at making some sheaths for my knives. I really like how this kydex stuff looks and how easy (I think) it is to use. I would be making sheaths for my Manix 2 and Delica 4 to carry on my belt and then take the clip off to carry as a neck kinfe. Is this possible?? To take clips on and off?? And how strong does the kydex hold onto your knife. I cant afford to have any of my babies getting lost. Lol. Does anybody use kydex sheaths to primarly carry their folders?? Maybe some pics?? Thanks for all the help guys. :spyder:
ToXicFrOg
My spderco's include: Full Spyder Edge Cricket (Stainless), Combo Edge Delica 4 (Bi-Directional Grip), Sage 1 (Carbon Fiber), Manix 2 (G-10). :)
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Yes, it's not a difficult thing to do. Just to get you started, think about how you want to deploy the knife. When you figure out the orientation, you can start experimenting. As for the clip, it will make the sheath a bit bulkier as bigger eyelets are used to accommodate removable clips.

You need:
- Kydex - 2 thicknesses are available, I like thicker .093 inch ones.
- A press - 2 or 3 layers of exercise mat taped to a pair of 2x4 pieces work. Some large C-clamps for pressure and it's good to go.
- Heat source - a heat gun and/or toaster oven at 300f for 10 mins
- Eyelets and tools (that match the kydex thickness)
- Electric Drill
- G-Clips + hardware - sold by Spyderco via phone
- Sandpaper / files for shaping and such

As for retention, you can "tune" the location of the eyelets to make things very tight or loose. By making 2 of the eyelets exactly an inch apart from the center of the hole, you made a mounting points for the clip.

There are good video how-to's on youtube. Check em out. Here are some of mine:

Ones at the top and bottom are the latest, best designs. The middle one is not symmetrical or well designed. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

dsmegst wrote:Yes, it's not a difficult thing to do. Just to get you started, think about how you want to deploy the knife. When you figure out the orientation, you can start experimenting. As for the clip, it will make the sheath a bit bulkier as bigger eyelets are used to accommodate removable clips.

You need:
- Kydex - 2 thicknesses are available, I like thicker .093 inch ones.
- A press - 2 or 3 layers of exercise mat taped to a pair of 2x4 pieces work. Some large C-clamps for pressure and it's good to go.
- Heat source - a heat gun and/or toaster oven at 300f for 10 mins
- Eyelets and tools (that match the kydex thickness)
- Electric Drill
- G-Clips + hardware - sold by Spyderco via phone
- Sandpaper / files for shaping and such

As for retention, you can "tune" the location of the eyelets to make things very tight or loose. By making 2 of the eyelets exactly an inch apart from the center of the hole, you made a mounting points for the clip.

There are good video how-to's on youtube. Check em out. Here are some of mine:

Ones at the top and bottom are the latest, best designs. The middle one is not symmetrical or well designed. :)
Thanks. This helps me alot. I think I will have to give it a try. :)
ToXicFrOg
My spderco's include: Full Spyder Edge Cricket (Stainless), Combo Edge Delica 4 (Bi-Directional Grip), Sage 1 (Carbon Fiber), Manix 2 (G-10). :)
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Kydex is easy enough to work with and gives you the option of having things made just the way you want, rather than to someone else's idea. There's a learning curve, so your third will be better than your first, tenth better than your sixth, and so on. Preplanning is key, and you are only limited by your imagination. You'll have fun, maybe a little frustration, but in the end , the satisfaction of having made created a sheath (and other implement holders) that are customized to you.
cesar

Post by cesar »

Someone have a kydex sheath for Manix 2? Is it possible to share a pic with us?

Thanks!
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
cesar

Post by cesar »

Someone have a kydex sheath for Manix 2? Is it possible to share a pic with us?

Thanks!
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder: