EDC Use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paisa777

EDC Use

Post by paisa777 »

Ok, I did a search and didn't find anything so I decided to start a thread. Again, I am a newbie to the knife world so forgive me if this seems elementary. But, since I'm considering dropping lots of $ to join the Spydie community, I started thinking about uses. What exactly does everybody use their Spydies for? Just trying to get a sense of what these knives are capable of doing.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I don't have an outdoors job and I don't go back-packing so my knives are all folders and tend to get fairly light to moderate use. Day to day I would expect to open packets & parcels ... cut string/thread ... do a bit of food prep (even eat dinner with it sometimes) ... cut beer-can loops ... and in the countryside I might trim some sticks and shape a point on the end ... cut twine ... that kind of stuff. I carry mainly UKPKs (FRN, G10 & CF). :)

The bigger, locking Spydies are capable of a lot harder work - just have a look at some tests on YouTube if you need some proof ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ChrisR wrote:I don't have an outdoors job and I don't go back-packing so my knives are all folders and tend to get fairly light to moderate use. Day to day I would expect to open packets & parcels ... cut string/thread ... do a bit of food prep (even eat dinner with it sometimes) ... cut beer-can loops ... and in the countryside I might trim some sticks and shape a point on the end ... cut twine ... that kind of stuff. I carry mainly UKPKs (FRN, G10 & CF). :)
My knife applications are basically the same: open mail, packages, break down boxes on recycle day, lunch at work, sometimes cut branches or vine on the yard. Fortunately locking blade are legal where I live so I use mostly C83 Persian and Caly3.5. certainly these knives up to much harder tasks, but I just love them. Not everybody, who is carrying 45 is shooting a bear everyday :)
Sometimes I carry my little Kopa (In addition to Persian and Caly3.5)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

ZOMBIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!!

And opening packages.
razorback1595

Post by razorback1595 »

boxes, bags, clamshell packaging, envelopes, food prep, butter knife,...
just everything i need a knife for.
Don't need to drop a lot of $ to join this community, it's verry open and everybody will help you when needed.
Welcome ;)
Pim

:D:spyder:
avoidspam

Post by avoidspam »

Having bought a few spyderco's over the last year or so since finding out about them I'm not fully addicted yet but well on my way!

My uses can include clearing thorns from around planted trees, rough carpentry, cutting rope to length to make strops for helicopter lifts, cutting different types of matting to length, binding around timber bundles, DPC for bridges, packaging and apples to name a few....

I think it's a good idea to have a think about what you are going to be using the knife for, some blades are better at some tasks than others. For example I don't find some of the shorter leaf shaped blades (eg: Sage) very good for working with wood as the material tends to slide off of the curve of the blade. The Stretch is much better at this. I get the feeling the smaller, leaf shape blade models are designed with slicing in mind and excel at that. Spyderco's are generally slim to fit comfortably in the pocket as discretion is important in the workplace too. For me this is not an issue and have happily carried knives in a pouch. the FRN Stretch suits my needs well as it has a wide(ish) handle for a Spyderco whilst still disappearing in my pocket. The lockback design makes it very comfortable for long periods of heavy(ish) use in the saber grip.

I try (unsuccessfully) to argue that it has been an evolutionary road to this point but the bottom line is I have bought some knives because they look nice.

Thoughts...

Current Spyderco's - Gayle Bradley, Sage 2, Caly 3.5, Stretch 2 FRN ZDP 189 (caution, this list may be out of date at time of reading!)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's surprising how much stuff I cut that I used to gnaw through or tear with my fingers/nails. It's so much more civilized and definitely less frustrating. :)

You don't have to drop a ton of money to join the world. You can get a terrific folder for $30-50 and it will last you a decade or more literally becoming your "EDC".

They tend to multiply though. Combined with not losing much money like some hobbies it's easy to justify buying more. sigh. :o
grumpyphil

EDC use

Post by grumpyphil »

I mostly cut throats and various limbs and do my best to avoid Dr. Snubnose.
I find that when I'm hanging out in afterhours joints looking to ripoff coke dealers, it's best not to depend on my diminished capacities to operate a folder, so I primarily carry a pair of mules in a McHarness. :eek:
I do, however, always have a folder on me (or 3) and I've never found a task that ANY of my Spyders wouldn't handle. Some better than others but in a pinch, dang near any Spyder is better than anything else.
MORE important than anything is keeping the blade SHARP! All that said, my vote for overall everything if you are limited to a folder would be the Gayle Bradley. If I could get a Police in M4, I'd rethink that. Some of what works for you will be what feels good in your pocket if it's a folder.
Look carefully. Do not let price influence you. A Spyder is a lifetime investment. Buy what works for YOU.
Enjoy
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

I just started using spyderco. (used other crappy knives before I found these babies) And they are amazing. :) I have used them for food prep, opening mail, cutting up boxes, opening boxes, carving, widdeling, fish cleaning, SD carry, and the list goes on. These knives are the best for basicly anything you can think of the needs a sharp edge. :) Welcome to the hobby.
ToXicFrOg
My spderco's include: Full Spyder Edge Cricket (Stainless), Combo Edge Delica 4 (Bi-Directional Grip), Sage 1 (Carbon Fiber), Manix 2 (G-10). :)
setldown

Post by setldown »

Hangin' out in this place will give you AD (acquisition disorder). I now have more Spydies than posts on this forum. Retreat while you can or soon you'll be a client of the law firm Peter Francis Geraci. Use your 1st Spydie to cut the cable to you computer.
Don't say you weren't warned. :D :D :D :D
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My knives are EDCed for SD, and utility, and they will also be useful for tracking down grumpyphil :p ;) .Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

mostly opening boxes, mail, cutting plastic (lots of plastic), loose threads, string, etc. pretty much anything that needs cutting :D
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use my folders for general utility and to assist with construction tasks when I am on the job remodeling homes. Trimming off paint blobs, shaving wood, getting into tight spaces to remove small bits of material that I otherwise could not get at, sharpening pencils, etc, etc.

For these tasks at work I alternate between Paramilitary 2, FFG Endura 4, and Stretch ZDP. They are all good, but the tip of the Paramilitary is the best of them, and I am considering modifying the tips of the others for pointy work, since I never pry with a blade and the tip gets the most use of any part of the blade. A belly is also important for the work I do, to reach flat surfaces to shave stuff off, and the Stretch is best for this, with the Para second and the Endura last.

I also use a utility knife whenever that is more appropriate, but the longer, curved blade is capable of jobs that the short wharncliffe cannot do.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For me anything that needs cut, unless its something that should be cut with another tool like wire cutters. Some things like carpet, insulation, lenolium, or anything else that i know will wreck my edge i save for disposable blade utility knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

EDC use of any knife would be heavily depending on your working/living environment. If you are in the military on duty, the the EDC of a Spyderco will see a totally different uses from a guy living in metro city area with an office job. You might be a fisherman, or run a farm and hunt.

I believe Spyderco offers great range of blades great for all EDC use above and everything in between.

I live and work in San Francisco so my EDC cutting are cutting papers, boxes, zip-ties, tapes and other around office/house stuff. I have a few dedicated Spydies for special use like food prep and outdoor activities, but most of my EDC blades are small and somewhat people friendly to blend in the environment.

Most of Spyderco knives are capable of pretty much all EDC use for city guys, but your situation might be different. If you work with water/food/near ocean all the time, H1 blade is like nothing else. I'm a big fan of VG10 blade because it's sharp and tough enough yet easy to sharpen, and I'm now enjoying infamous sharpness of ZDP-189. Of course there are other exotic blade materials, shapes, sizes, thickness and grind type that fit your EDC needs best.

If you aren't sure what to start with, I'd recommend getting something like Delica 4 and see what you think.
Delica Orange Jigged Bone, Manix2 Orange FFG, Poliwog G-10, Salt I PE Black, Chaparral
catamount

Post by catamount »

Blerv wrote:It's surprising how much stuff I cut that I used to gnaw through or tear with my fingers/nails. It's so much more civilized and definitely less frustrating. :)
LOL. Same here.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

paisa777 wrote:...Just trying to get a sense of what these knives are capable of doing.
If you pick the right model for your uses, they can do anything you need them to do. I live in a more rural part of north GA, so I spend as much time outdoors with my dogs as I can. We hike, camp, work, & play in the woods around the house, keep a garden in the spring & summer, and take occasional trips to the mountains or the beach. I work in a sporting goods warehouse.

In all of that, I haven't found anything that I need to cut, trim, or make that the right Spyderco couldn't handle. And I've never damaged one of my Spydercos doing any of that stuff. No broken tips or clips, no chipped blades.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:It's surprising how much stuff I cut that I used to gnaw through or tear with my fingers/nails. It's so much more civilized and definitely less frustrating. :)

Oh yeah....few things in this world irritate me more than when you open a bag of chips by pulling the bag apart at the top, and the plastic rips down the side. Ever since i started religiously carrying a knife, i just cut the top of the bag clean off and that usually prevents it from happening. I would carry a knife for no other reason than this lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paisa777

Post by paisa777 »

gundude73 wrote:mostly opening boxes, mail, cutting plastic (lots of plastic), loose threads, string, etc. pretty much anything that needs cutting :D
So this is basically what I would be using it for, in additional to maybe slicing up an apple. So which Spydie would be a good fit for this type of "work"?
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

paisa777 wrote:So this is basically what I would be using it for, in additional to maybe slicing up an apple. So which Spydie would be a good fit for this type of "work"?
I'm sure there are many, but I love my Caly 3.5. I think it is a great nearly-all-purpose knife, and the longer blade makes it a good apple slicer :)

However, most days around town I still just carry my much smaller Dragonfly.