Cheaper carbon fiber knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thompson

Cheaper carbon fiber knives?

Post by Thompson »

I'm looking for a Spyderco with carbon fiber scales, but is in the $50 range. Is there anything like that? I know it's more of an expensive material to manufacture, but I would think they could make one for a lower price point. Carbon fiber is very appealing to me, but anything that is too much over my price point is out of my budget because I'm a teenager. :(
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Cat and Chicago were attempts at premium materials (S30V blades and carbon fiber scales) at budget prices. Sadly, very few met quality control standards and almost all of them ended up being sold as seconds. Those are the only CF models I know of that sold for under $50.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Thompson wrote:I'm looking for a Spyderco with carbon fiber scales, but is in the $50 range. Is there anything like that? I know it's more of an expensive material to manufacture, but I would think they could make one for a lower price point. Carbon fiber is very appealing to me, but anything that is too much over my price point is out of my budget because I'm a teenager. :(
i do not think so .... i think closer to around $100. I did some checking on ebay for you. theres a couple items that might interest you like the UK pen knife in CF, Terzuola slipit CF, Sage 1 CF. If i were you i would save up another 50 and try to find a sage 1 carbon fiber.
xtal

Post by xtal »

The secondary market can save you a bit. I managed to find a NIB Sage 1 for $80 all-in.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably look into saving up a little bit more because I did notice there wasn't many at that range. I saw a video on the Cat and it looked perfect. The guy said he got it around the $40 range. Maybe I'll be able to find a good deal on one of those.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You wouldn't want one in that price range. The Cat/Chicago proved that. Still they had problems that were simply not price-range oriented.

I would personally save up for a Sage1 and know your holding one of the best folders in the world anywhere. If you don't mind G10/FRN your options are more plentiful.

I find some stainless knives very classy and they are very slim in pocket. I've seen Adventura's for $60 and etched Spin's/Cricket's for the same price.

PS: You can find a Cat/Chicago used and might even get one in primo shape. Problem is they will probably cost about the same as a Sage1 or just a touch less because of snobby knife fans. Compared to a Sage1 or BobT there is no comparison in quality.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yea I guess I can see where you are coming from. I actually really like G10 and FRN, but just looking for some more variety.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

If you really want cheap carbon fiber, the Sanrenmu 738 has carbon fiber and is really cheap. Spydercos will cost more, though.