Getting old

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gijoe945

Getting old

Post by gijoe945 »

I am getting up in years and have been collecting knives since 1958. My present dilemma is that I carry a Delica zdp and paramilitary. Since I very seldom use a pocket blade, should I quit having the weight of a knife on my person? I quit wearing a watch and a lot of mens jewelry for the same reason. Since having some health issues, should I sell most of my inventory as I dont think my daughter would like knives as much as cash. I have 200 plus blades, 44 ofthem Spydercos which bare my favorites. I only use a computer at my daughters once a week when I visit. Please submit your thoughts. Thank you. :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Tough call, maybe keep a few of your favorites and a small one for daily carry, after all you never know when one might come in handy.

maybe sell the rest and use the money for something nice for your daughter? Any grand kids?

If no one in the family is going to appreciate them, at least you could have them go to someone that will.
On the hunt for...
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

C'mon, you're not so old that the weight of a Delica at 2.5 oz is too much.

Given that there are no investments paying any decent return at this time, the appreciation on your collection is probably a better investment than what you could do with the proceeds. Keep them and enjoy them and leave instructions for how to describe each one should your heirs decide to liquidate them.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've seen a number of older people selling collections.

One time when I was waiting for the post office to open so I could send out a christmas gift and had a conversation with an older man. He mentioned he was selling stuff that he collected. I asked him what, he said he collected stamps. He says he'll sell a stamp for $2 or something plus shipping, and that people in Russia will buy them. He doesn't know why the people want them, but he gets a little money and something to do. They don't matter too much to him anymore and he thinks the people he is selling them to will enjoy them more than he does.

I remember one of the jobs I used to work at was for an internet provider. One old man called for tech support cause he was having trouble with his web space, he used it to host images for ebay. I looked through his pictures and he had SO many World War 2 items it was amazing! He told me that he had like 600 positive rep points on ebay.

Now the negative, I saw someone who inherited a knife collection and was selling them on ebay. I am someone who doesn't deal with ebay. I made the person an offer on one of his items, which was basically the only Spyderco available and he pulled it and sold it to me. It is the oldest Spyderco I own. Well, the point of the story, most of his collection was what seemed like random Fixed blades. I didn't recognize many of them and I don't think Buck is as great as some people do, but it seemed like the other items didn't sell very well. :( I hope the things you collected held their value. I'm sure the things I collect won't be holding their value well.

If you watch those TV shows where people buy things to make a profit, a lot of people inherit what seems like odd collections, and when they try to sell it, they don't know what they have. I think it will benefit your daughter a LOT for you to sell at least the more valuable things. I would hate to see someone I know have something of mine worth $300-400, not know it and end up letting it go for $20.

I think it is a good thing, a nice project, and you will get a lot of positive things out of it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sequimite wrote:C'mon, you're not so old that the weight of a Delica at 2.5 oz is too much.
I agree with this, I also don't know any older men who don't wear a watch. At the very least a Timex would work fine, you can get one at almost any weight you want, too.

Spyderco is making some very nice smaller and lighter knives, too. The Michael Walker sprint is less than 2 oz and has a zdp blade similar to the delica. Gayle Bradley's Air looks really nice, but I don't know many details about it. It is supposed to be very light.

I really don't know any super light lock backs, though.

Also, having a knife is part of who you are, I wouldn't lose that for anything. I think your tastes are just changing.

The only reason I could come up with not carrying one for myself would be if I thought I was going to forget it somewhere or that I was going to get in trouble for carrying it. At an older age, I could see wanting to avoid trouble and not wanting to lose something valuable to me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
buddy54ck

I'll be there before I know it!

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi GIJOE,

I am somewhat saddened to hear You say that You would sell, ( after probably bringing You so much happiness,) Your Collection, but I guess that is life.
Deathbysnoosnoo asked if You had any Grandchildren.
If so, I am sure that they probably would love to have something to remind them of You, especially if You have talked about Your hobby with them. I have an old pocket knife of My Grandfathers, and it is one of My most cherished possessions.
I will be splitting My collection up amongst My Son in Law, 4 Grand Daughters, and Grand Son, unless hard times hit and I have to sell them. Even if that happened, they would at least get a couple apiece.
Good luck with whatever You decide. CHIN UP!!!

Just a thought,

Charlie
unit

Post by unit »

My advice would be to sit down with someone you care about that might care about the collection and discuss it. If you have no one that would care about your collection, sit down with a person you care about and discuss the presumed value of each piece (a video camera might help with this). That way they can assist you (via computer) in reaching a greater audience in an environment that DOES allow buying and selling (not here) to sell the pieces that hold the least sentimental value to you.

It saddens me to see a valuable collection liquidated for pennies by the next of kin. Few people have the ethics to educate a seller that asks too low of a price...

The most attractive option for me would be to give my favorite knives to my boys who hopefully will care about them (weather they choose to use them or simply stick them in a safe to cherish in the condition I left them in...their choice).

Good luck!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have to agree about having something that was with my grandfather for so long. About a year before he died, he gave me his old pocket knife. He had if from about the age of 15 or 16...it is something that I really love having and I am sure that any grandkids you have would as well.
On the hunt for...
MCM

Post by MCM »

If you really dont care about it much anymore, offer a few to family and friends. Let them pick a couple each.
Keep your favorite dozen or so, then off to e-bay.
That will give you the most bang for the buck and keep from giving things away. No matter your feelings on e-bay it does bring out more or less market value. On another note, not many realize the 20% it costs selling there when its all said and done.
A few will shock you how high they sell for, and others will shock you how low they go for. So, it evens out in the end.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
AJF

Post by AJF »

As for not carrying a knife any longer, I would disagree. You are obviously a knife guy, like all of us here, and it is part of your identity. You could certainly go with some smaller and lighter choices, but I say keep a handful to carry. Carrying no knife at all for a knife guy is like walking around naked! :eek:

As for your collection, that's a tougher call, and there's been lots of good advice from the fellows here. There is a natural inclination to simplify as we get older, and I'm old enough myself to feel that tug. If you decide to sell all or most of your collection, I would say to make it into a project that has a positive goal, which will make it more enjoyable. For example, earmark the funds you realize for something that will make you happy, whether that be for your kids or grandkids, a favorite charity, or something nice for yourself (or a combination of those things).

If you're not on a computer a lot, selling online is more of a challenge, but there are ways around it. There are ebay brokers that, for a fee or percentage, will sell your items for you there. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a fellow knife enthusiast, through one of the knife forums, who would undertake to sell you knives on a knife trade forum, likewise for a fee or percentage. There is also Craigslist, newspaper classified ads, local gun shows, etc.

So, divest and simplify, but always keep a knife in your pocket! :)

Just my $.02.

Andrew
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I'm sure with your experience you know exactly what will happen the day you decide not to carry a knife ;)
angusW

Post by angusW »

I agree with the above regarding sitting down with someone to discuss the value of your collection. I read on a photography forum where a guy was happy he ripped off some woman who's husband passed and she was unloading his camera equipment. The jerk worked in a camera store and told the woman that everything was worth only $50 when it was probably worth 100 times that.

Maybe keep one light folder for old times sake. You never know when you'll need to use it. Good luck GiJoe.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
cesar

Post by cesar »

Dont you never think you will wave a grandson in future? Why not start to let him a true heritage? Take some of your knives (that must be your passion), buy a Moleskine and start to write the history of how your knives served to you. Write about how do you feel when buy a special one, how you fixed some thing of your daughter with one of those. Try to wake up the same passion that you live to your grandson, or whoever you plan to let it. Finish your journal with advices in how to care them and put in your heritage kit some stuff for sharpening and maintenance (like torx drivers, leather strops and many things). Buy a wooden box and you make a very priceless gift!

I have a daughter (14 y.o.) an a son (12 y.o.). I take them with me in my knife fighting lessons and when I go to shop to buy new knives (even online). I explain for what tasks each knife serves, and try to make them be near my hobby. Both knows the basics of knife defense and they have their own Swiss Army knives as introductory knives. My daughter loves to sharp her pencils with her knife and my boy never leave home without it. think about!
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
gijoe945

thank you

Post by gijoe945 »

Thank you all for the advice. I have a wonderful daughter who wont be having any children so will probably start liquidating at gun and knife shows. One of my keepers will definately be a spyderco. This forum is tops. So many caring people.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I don't know....I'm getting old also....but I have close to 3,000 bladed weapons....I think I want to buried with all of them....I don't want to go to the other-side..unarmed....if I go up...I'll have something to trade for coffee and cigs....if it's down....well, I think I'll be needing all of them.... :p Doc :p

GIJOE: Everyone gave you some good advice...good luck with what you decide....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
buddy54ck

Cesar

Post by buddy54ck »

HI GIJOE CESAR AND EVERYONE,

CESAR, I like the way You Think, Well Put!
Charlie
cesar

Post by cesar »

buddy54ck wrote: :spyder: :spyder:
HI GIJOE CESAR AND EVERYONE,

CESAR, I like the way You Think, Well Put!
Charlie
Thanks! In the same case as gijoe945, I will do like I described before. Can you imagine the amazing of your grandson in receive a gorgeous knife collection with a diary of your grandpa telling everything about each piece?
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

GI Joe, I've had to twice now go through relatives gun collections and help the family indentify and appraise the collection and it's worth. One time due to words said I, and another person pulled out and told the widow to take them to a dealer for appraisal. I wanted no part of it.

She got pennies on the dollar. It was horrible too. People have lots of stuff to deal with with estates and times things have to be finalized in. Most people just dump their husbands or fathers guns or knives, motorcycles or whatever on someone in one large lot for nothing even close to the value.

Having looked at the appraisal I saw how the dealer was taking advantage of the situation, and the widow involved.

I'm going to do what I can for my son. He will be overwhelmed and is pretty much always needing money , and isn't into the same things as I am so I'm going to cash out if given time. I'll ask my kid what he wants to keep, and try to sell the rest.

If I get taken by some greedy person it's not because I didn't know better.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
2cha

Post by 2cha »

If you do decide to sell, as much as I hate to say it, ebay is a better solution than the knife or gun shows in my opinion. Ebay is as close to a "perfect" market in economic terms as you'll ever find. While once in a long while, I see spydercos go for prices I think are too low, that's pretty rare. Also keep in mind that Spyderco model popularity shifts--timing is everything.

Maybe, since you don't have a computer, learning the ebay process with your daughter could become a group activity for you both--a productive way to spend time together.
TekNyc

Post by TekNyc »

This thread saddens me. : (