traveling with a blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
moddek

traveling with a blade

Post by moddek »

The thread earlier on here about traveling across the country reminded me that Ill be traveling out of the country this summer (assuming things in Africa and the ME cool down quick enough). I was thinking about buying one of the frn uk penknives for the trip cuz id like to have something handy with me. This also seems like the best knife to get into several countries. Now my questions are, how does flying with a blade work? If i simply put it in my checked luggage will that get me by? or is there a process? Also does anyone know of a quick reference to knife laws in other countries?

thanks, sorry if this question is over your heads... ill end up asking the professor leading the trip too. He actually suggested a small pocket knife during one of our group meetings but never elaborated.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Flying with a blade? Here in the States, you take a blade to an airport and it gets confinscated at the very least. You should mail the knife to your destination. As far as traveling to other countries, I have no idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
moddek

Post by moddek »

Thats kind of what i assumed but since my professor brought it up i got curious... and hes been doing this trip for 20 years... but i def dont wanna lose a 30-50 dollar knife
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

If you put it in your check luggage you should be fine. Same with a checked firearm.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im trying to figure out the best knife to take when I travel in US or overseas. First, you have to check it in your luggage. Second, I personally think a UKPK is too big and will not go unnoticed even if its within legal carry limits. I read a story about a guy in the UK who had one and the cops still took it away from him. I dont need anything rugged, so Im thinking of going small - like 2" or less blade and no lock. I am going to start with a Grasshopper since they are cheap and I wont care if it gets taken. But I want a 'real' Spydie and I think the new Squeak will be perfect. I know Im over conservative on this, but I dont want to lose one of my nicer knives.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

If I was looking for a versatile, universally recognized "friendly" knife, I would get a Swiss army knife.
moddek

Post by moddek »

I was thinking about a SAK and may do that anyway... just wanted something with a little more blade if i could have it
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Gunslinger wrote:Flying with a blade? Here in the States, you take a blade to an airport and it gets confinscated at the very least. You should mail the knife to your destination. As far as traveling to other countries, I have no idea.
Not true, I fly with knives checked in my luggage all the time. You can't have it in your carry on/on your person past security, though.

Just wouldn't fly with an expensive knife.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I always travel with several knives (folders as well as Japanese kitchen knives) in my checked luggage. Never had a problem or lost any knives, so far at least.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pneumothorax wrote:Im trying to figure out the best knife to take when I travel in US or overseas. First, you have to check it in your luggage. Second, I personally think a UKPK is too big and will not go unnoticed even if its within legal carry limits. I read a story about a guy in the UK who had one and the cops still took it away from him. I dont need anything rugged, so Im thinking of going small - like 2" or less blade and no lock. I am going to start with a Grasshopper since they are cheap and I wont care if it gets taken. But I want a 'real' Spydie and I think the new Squeak will be perfect. I know Im over conservative on this, but I dont want to lose one of my nicer knives.
The only case I recall hearing about where that happened, the knife owner was a bouncer at a bar and had been involved in an altercation with a customer. Knife had not been used, or even displayed, but the cops who showed up decided it was a weapon due to the circumstances. Not sure what the eventual outcome was. Which is not to say that something smaller and less expensive might not be a better choice for other reasons.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Check out the Byrd line of knives. I have a Robin and it's inexpensive but well made.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Before I learned better, I traveled the world extensively with an Endura 4 in my checked bag. Never had an issue. Even carried it consistently at my destinations. Now that I'm smarter, I opt for a non-locking blade in 3" or less. Hence my Bob T. :)
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

This was written by Otto Ojevaar, one of the BladeSports cutting competition participants. I use it and think it works well:

Air Travel With Your Competition Cutter.

Since cutting competitions are all across the country, several competitors travel by air to get to the cutting event. Now, how do you get your blade to the cutting event? One alternative is to ship your blade(s) in a USPS priority mail flat rate box. The cost of shipping a medium flat rate box (certified, insured) is approximately $20-25. Another alternative is to take them on the airplane. However, you will have to check your bag at a cost of about $25. The Transportation Security Administration (“TSA”) has ruled that sharp objects are prohibited from carry-on luggage. However, it is allowed to travel with your blades as long as they are in your checked luggage. The TSA states that “sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors”.

Personally, I am not comfortable putting my blades in my luggage without any form of protection and security, so I came up with a cheap and safe solution. I took one 17” long piece of drain/sewer pipe (4” wide, thin walled), two end caps, and a 6” long piece of stock aluminum (1/2” x 1/8”). Glued one end cap on one side and made two slots through the pipe and end cap on the other side. Bend the aluminum on one side and drilled a small hole on the other side. I put a TSA “approved” travel lock* (with “search alert”) through the hole and that’s it. Not pretty but it works. In addition to the lock on the tube, I also secure my luggage with a TSA “approved” lock. I have used the “travel tube” several times and each time the TSA has opened my bag as well as the tube.

*Note about locks from TSA: “TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut”.
respectfully,
Jose Diaz
http://www.diaztools.com
TBob

Post by TBob »

Good info, thanks Jose!
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I've flown all around the states with a knife in my checked luggage. Most recently from Florida to Atlanta to DC and back last summer no problem.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

where are you going.

i didnt read all the posts, so sorry if it's already been stated, but i travel overseas frequenly, and ALWAYS bring a knife in my checked baggage. i usually wrap it in a sock or shoe. i think the ukpk is a good choice, however, i usually bring a knife i do not care about losing, and i would HATE to lose my orange ukpk.

before i discovered spyderco and benchmades, i really liked gerbers, so i usually bring one or 2 of my old gerbers while traveling.

hope that helps.
asenna

Post by asenna »

@jose diaz wow must look just like a pipe bomb! guarenteed to have your luggage strewn apart in multiple searches. I travel for work all the time and typically carry a letherman wave in its sheath and a dive knive sheathed and its fine. the hardest part is countries with very heavy penalties and weapon laws singapore especially do not take any knife there unless you have permission or its required for your job and then dont cary it unless you are working. any british territories are similar but not quite as bad. my sugestion is to make sure you reasearch the particular countries you travel to before you go.
Jose Diaz

Post by Jose Diaz »

asenna wrote:@jose diaz wow must look just like a pipe bomb! guarenteed to have your luggage strewn apart in multiple searches. I travel for work all the time and typically carry a letherman wave in its sheath and a dive knive sheathed and its fine. the hardest part is countries with very heavy penalties and weapon laws singapore especially do not take any knife there unless you have permission or its required for your job and then dont cary it unless you are working. any british territories are similar but not quite as bad. my sugestion is to make sure you reasearch the particular countries you travel to before you go.
My Luggage always gets checked, but never have I had issue with it being perceived as threatening, or have had more than one search in a trip. I make it as easy as possible for the luggage to be inspected, but protect my investments. After all if I don't have my competition knives, I might not have a chance to participate. So far, I have not had any issues or problems using this method.

It's just one way to help me feel comfortable traveling with my competition knives.
respectfully,
Jose Diaz
http://www.diaztools.com
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I guess it depends on the airport, I have heard you cant but I talked to my friend earlier and he said he took a case folder in checked luggage with no problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
araneae

Post by araneae »

Gunslinger wrote:I guess it depends on the airport, I have heard you cant but I talked to my friend earlier and he said he took a case folder in checked luggage with no problem.
No it doesn't depend on the airport. The rules are the same anywhere in the US. You can check any knife you want and there should never be any problem. Check the TSA website.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal