WOW Manix S90V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I don't think that will stop the crazies...but it might help!

And yeah I think that around $300 is reasonable...$350 for a really close to perfect.

For sure, I love my Manixs more than any other and that S90V is a complete must have. It almost makes me with that the sprint run had been a bit larger!
On the hunt for...
black

Post by black »

A 400 sprint is like nothing since a lot go to the collectors club. How many knives go into the collectors club? 200? Correct me if I missunderstood something.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

black wrote:A 400 sprint is like nothing since a lot go to the collectors club. How many knives go into the collectors club? 200? Correct me if I missunderstood something.
how do i join this club? lol
black

Post by black »

Win the lottery might be the first step... then it's pretty easy. :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

black wrote:Win the lottery might be the first step... then it's pretty easy. :D
+1 I think that it's nearly a requirement!
On the hunt for...
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

black wrote:A 400 sprint is like nothing since a lot go to the collectors club. How many knives go into the collectors club? 200? Correct me if I missunderstood something.
Spyderco limits membership in the Collectors Club to 200. Only *active* members get knives with their chosen number etched on it. If only 89 members are active, only 89 CC knives will be produced, not 200. How many active members there are in the club only Spyderco knows.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Any item in limited supply will be worth more to some than it is to others, and there will always be a small number to who it's worth more than most would ever pay. Given the way eBay works, there was someone else willing to pay $10 less for it and four bidders who all were willing to pay over $400 for it. Kinda makes me wonder if I should put mine on the block. :o
No, there are 200 slots in the club, but there have never been that many members at one time. Plus, some of the members sign up for "new models only" and would not get variants like the CF/S90V Manix II. On top of that, some of the "all variant" memberships are held by dealers who resell the numbered knives, so the number of knives available to "John Q Public" from dealers out of a 400 piece Sprint Run is probably 350 or more.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jwrickma24 wrote:And I also agree with you the manix 2 cf s90v is my number on buy right now if I find one!
Yes, that's the rub...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jwrickma24 wrote:Bidding was between myself and another guy... I stopped at 485 and he dropped a bomb of 567....at that price enjoy your new knife dude lol.
A dealer had a very limited run of Strider SMFs with CPM-110V blades very recently. The cost?

$575.

Draw your own conclusions.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I stop at the MSRP. Anything over that, the knife has to be really special. I keep thinking, "At that price, I can get a XYZ knife instead." :)

Edit - bad English and such
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

jwrickma24 wrote:I bid so high because I chose to lol. My own personal choice
And when you post that you did so on a forum, you risk contrary opinions, lol.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love the Manix 2 platform. The CF/S90V Manix 2 is one of the ones I don't have. I didn't want to pay the $250 price tag for one back when they were that price.

The only real allure to it, to me, is S90V in a folder. For that, I would probably still not pay $250 for a CF/S90V Manix 2.

I'm waiting on the CTS Para 2, that will probably be enough for me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

mikerestivo wrote:And when you post that you did so on a forum, you risk contrary opinions, lol.
Very true and I understand. Everyone has an opinion and I'm ok with that
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

dsmegst wrote:I stop at the MSRP. Anything over that, the knife has to really special. I keep thinking, "At that price, I can get a <brand> knife instead." :)
That is my usual stopping point as well. Spyderco S90V is outrageous, but even outrageous has some limits, for me anyway. ;)
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

JNewell wrote:That is my usual stopping point as well. Spyderco S90V is outrageous, but even outrageous has some limits, for me anyway. ;)
I got myself a regular Manix and FG Manix just now. I don't know if the FG Manix had the same MSRP as the black one, but I paid a little more. I'm only missing the Mini-Manix now. :D
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

This just makes me want to sell mine for $ 750.
And don't tell me no one would pay it because I'm sure they would but all this could be avoided if spyderco would release the knife in another sprint in a thousand pieces maybe.....
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

CharlesIV wrote:This just makes me want to sell mine for $ 750.
And don't tell me no one would pay it because I'm sure they would but all this could be avoided if spyderco would release the knife in another sprint in a thousand pieces maybe.....
i agree.... first in line please LOL
DeathBySnooSnoo

It would be amazing if they did...especially if tehy tweaked the steel a bit, my understanding is that it isn't quite as good as it is in the Millie and Para2 runs.
On the hunt for...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:It would be amazing if they did...especially if tehy tweaked the steel a bit, my understanding is that it isn't quite as good as it is in the Millie and Para2 runs.
I went back a bit in one of Jim's threads elsewhere and found a lot of information, including the snips below. Seems like the results were the product of (1) lower Rc level (it happens - you can't dial in an exact Rc level) and (2) a worn edge that had a different geometry after it had been resharpened. There's nothing to tweak in the steel itself (which comes from Crucible):
The Manix 2 S90V was on loan for the testing and had pretty low angle edge bevel on it so I had to put a Micro Bevel on it to get a 30 degree inclusive edge. It also had been sharpened a few times too from that it looked like. I would have had to remove a lot more steel to back the edge up.

The same thing that happened between the 2 Endura 4's in ZDP that I had cut with, one was micro beveled and worn a bit and the other was new. Big difference between them.

So in short the difference was the thickness of the steel behind the edge, one of the reasons why I try and get all the blades as close as I can to the same to make things as even as I can get them.

When I was testing it it seemed like it wanted to do better, you can tell when you cut enough that a steel should be doing better, you get a feel for it after awhile.

So in the end S90V is in two Categories, I will have the Military and Para 2 RC tested and the results will be added once I find out what they are. Both knives ended up with the exact same result, number of cuts to 20 LBS of downforce.

I will remove the Manix 2 from the list once I get the RC testing data back.
I updated the S90V HRC hardness for the Para 2 and Military.

They both tested at 60 HRC so I decided to leave the Manix 2 (59) in the list.

Getting S90V to 60 RC in a production knife is amazing, both blades testing to 60 RC is even more amazing.
So in short the difference was the thickness of the steel behind the edge, one of the reasons why I try and get all the blades as close as I can to the same to make things as even as I can get them.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

As they all say, a person pays what they want and feel it is worth to them. Pat yourself on your back jwrickma24 for speaking up. You know what you wanted and said so, who cares if others don't feel it is worth it to them at a said price.

My problem is there are times where I think about paying XXX amount of $$ but say naw it isn't worth it to me...mainly because I am going to use it. It stinks sometimes paying these super high second market prices for knives that other people would put in their safes. I just want to use it