favorite handle material?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
moddek

favorite handle material?

Post by moddek »

I personally own 4 g10 knives, 1 frn, and 1 SS. My favorite would have to be the g10. SS doesnt always seem as comfortable and i tend to have sweaty hands. The frn on my byrd finch seems great and its a good little knife but it feels almost too light or 'cheap' to me. It might just be me but i prefer the feel and heft of g10. That being said my next spyderco purchase will be one of the FFG undura 4s in blue frn and i do not expect to have an issue with that handle at all... what do you all prefer on your knives. Feel free to bring up other materials as well (these were just the 3 i had the most experience with).
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I would have to say g10 is my favorite -- but I am pretty fond of the CF treatment on the gayle bradley.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

G10 is tops and CF (Sage Twill, Peel Ply, Cally 3 smooth in that order) then SS and FRN are a toss up. The one issue I have with G10 is the damage to pants pockets which can be mitigated by light sanding under the clip contact area.

I have thought about attaching a scale (G10 or CF) to the non-clip side of my SS Delica just to beef up the handle and provide some extra grip.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Ya G10 for me too, the texture on the spydercos are just the best not to rough not to smooth, dosen't tear up my pockets like ,Oh I don't know... COLD STEEL!!!! srsly crazy sand paper texturing... :/
thewannabesurvivalist
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

G10 is great for day to day utility, but my real love is hardwood handles.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

g10 gives great grip, especially with rubber glass gloves, its all i have had too so thats my automatic favourite
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am in minority here: I love natural materials. G10 or peel-ply CF can be OK for everyday utility knife, but my love goes to wood, bone, stag, shell, corian, stone. Micarta like on Hossoms can be very nice as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

I like color frm like the delica grip. Weight, color, price & texture make it a winner in my book.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm with bh49, natural materials are what do it for me. To me knives are not just tools, like a hammer or a screwdriver, they're functional jewelry, like a watch. They need to work, and to work well, but there is no reason they cannot look good while doing so. Wood, ivory, and bone are all excellent, sambar stag would be my top choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

For a user, linen or canvas micarta. Polished G10 is a distant second.

For a functional jewelry knife, to borrow from Deacon, natural materials.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I too would like to see more natural materials. As the preferences between individuals vary so much, I'd like to see more knives made with FRN handles and full steel liners. That way it would be easy to substitute the FRN with a material of ones choise should the mood strike.

Last autumn I bought a FRN ZDP-189 Strech for the purpose of swapping the scales with some nice wood but didn't pay attention to the liners being embedded in the FRN. Does anybody have suggestions how to accomplish the swap withouth having access to a mill? I only have basic handtools.
Austinaftermath

Post by Austinaftermath »

Stag and mother of pearl.
catamount

Post by catamount »

G-10 here.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm a big fan of frn with skeletonized, inset steel liners.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
cesar

Post by cesar »

Handle material is very close to the grip you need. I like G10 because I can hold the knife firmly, even with the hands soaked with transpiration or even blood. It keeps the knife strongly secure in the hand without chances to escape.

Is that why my new Spyderco is the Manix 2 :spyder: !
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
KBR

Post by KBR »

I prefer G10....offers excellent grip in all types of situations for me, although I do like natural wood, micarta and stag handles as well.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For EDC, i like G10. For aesthetics i like the textured carbon fiber and natural materials...i especially like rare/exotic woods with bolsters but that's typically a whole different knife category than i buy and use. I haven't owned anything in micarta but i like most of what i see, especially the natural linen stuff.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

CF and Micarta are my favs...but I like the feel of the G10 that was on my Manix.
On the hunt for...
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I would have to say that titanium comes in at the top of the list but carbon fiber is a very close second being that I love peel ply cf and twill from tiawan
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

FAVORITEs:
-CF as on the Manix 2 S90V
-Twill CF as on the Gayle Bradley and Sage 1