favorite handle material?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Micarta in any flavor. Something about a material that actual looks better as time goes by. I have very low heat tolerance and sweat a lot here in the south. Canvas micarta has a nice grip with wet hands. And imo few things look better then polished paper micarta.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Wood (Spalted Maple, Ironwood, etc.)
Micarta
Carbon Fiber (The type on the new Lum or the stuff Taichung uses)
G-10
Carbon Fiber (The rest)
FRN
Titanium
Stainless Steel
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

1. G10 peel ply textured, on thin handled knives.
2. G10 ribbed and contoured on thicker knives.
3. Carbon Fiber, only if it's Sage 1 textured.
4. Hardwood for Gent's knives.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

For me, titanium is very high on cool factor.

For more practical purposes, peel-ply carbon fiber is my favorite.
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

I tend to purchase G10 and Micarta handled knives.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I absoluty love Peel ply G10 in orange or blue. I also love Titanium.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Significent

Limited Experience

Post by Significent »

I only have a Police 3 with black textured G-10 and two other smaller knives with FRN. I like the feel of the G-10 better, but I'm not sure why. It could be because the Police 3's handle is bigger and heavier. I like a little heft and a handle that I can wrap my whole hand around.

IMO, the G-10 also looks better. In fact, I think it looks pretty good and strikes a decent balance between form and function.

If I were to buy a knife for its handle's looks, many materials would look nicer than either the G-10 or FRN. I prefer the way antler or knurled wood looks. I even like mother of pearl. If I had a knife with such a handle, I'd probably reserve its use for more formal occasions.

I may have to find me a knife with CF handles just so I can compare. Maybe a Sage 1 is in my future.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I am an old guy so am really partial to stag and bone. If I had the talent I would make a Stretch with stag or bone scales.
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

I like G-10, Carbon Fiber, wood, and bone.
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

For looks, Carbon fiber or wood.

For use, FRN the rounded edges are much kinder to my hands. Metal and square cornered G-10 are kind of rough to use.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I see that I am somewhat in the minority, but Titanium is my favorite material for handles also. To me the utilitarian look is very classy, it's very grippy, and it can be anodized different colors. What's not to like? I am excited about the upcoming Native 5 in ti and the Techno!!

My second choice would be FRN. I fondly remember my first FRN Knife, a Gerber LST. It was the knife I first learned to sharpen, and it was pretty well indestructible.

I like the look of wood and other natural handles, but the idea that my knife could be forgotten in a old toolbox for a hundred years and then be pulled out, cleaned up and look like new appeals to me for some reason. (Salt series would probably achieve this better than some other blade steels.)

G10 and carbon fiber are OK, I'm just nostalgic about FRN.

Grizz
tpro68

Post by tpro68 »

I like the dressier options such as jigged bone, abalone or carbon fiber. I especially like them on bolstered knives such as the Kopa and Kiwi. For heavier users I prefer titanium. I edc the Salsa Titanium and the Leaf Storm. The more titanium gets banged around the better it looks to me. The Techno has my name all over it. I've been trying to figure out how to live without the hole and tractor pull $425 for the Graham Stubby flipper, but now I will hold out for the Techno.
Donut

Post by Donut »

FRN is my favorite, G-10 and Micarta are tied for second.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TBob

Post by TBob »

Peel-ply carbon fiber takes first place, followed by any CF that's not too slick. Next would be FRN w/SS liners. I haven't tried one of the new fluted titanium finishes yet, but will add a fluted ti Native 5 to my stable for purely scientific purposes. :D
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
moddek

Post by moddek »

I really wanna get a CF knife i just dont have the room in my budget for a CF handle right now... I think the balance looks like the coolest little knife in CF... but textbooks seem to be more important :/
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

1. Peel-Ply CF
2. Any other CF
3. Micarta
4. G-10
5. FRN

Absolute last = Stainless Steel. Can't stand a knife with SS handles.
dave2945

Post by dave2945 »

If I could have anything, it would be stag. However, from spyderco I only have G10 and frn. Of those two, I prefer the frn. It's light, bombproof, and I love the 3D texturing on the new models. Additionally, it seems as if the g10 attracts small particles and gets clogged/dirty much easier. Finally, frn is much easier on the pocket. Even if frn and g10 were the same price, I would choose frn.
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Knarly Stag is my first --- love it with lots og bark on it !!!
2nd is the Peel-Ply
3rd checkered G-10

On all my carry/competition handguns , I have the metal frontstrap checkered at 20 LPI ----- Titaniun that is checkered / ribbed / fluted sounds like a "must have" :spyder:
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

G-10
Peel ply Cf
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

1) wood (looks)
2) G10 (performance)
3) Titanium ( just feels good!)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"