"Aftermarket" coating?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

"Aftermarket" coating?

Post by Evil D »

Does anyone know anything about having a blade custom coated? Can such a thing be done? I know a guy who works in some kind of factory doing nitride coating on gears and various metal parts...i'm wondering if something like that could be applied to a blade without damaging the heat treat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Does anyone know anything about having a blade custom coated? Can such a thing be done? I know a guy who works in some kind of factory doing nitride coating on gears and various metal parts...i'm wondering if something like that could be applied to a blade without damaging the heat treat.
Has to be possible. John F Jensen use to have SS Workers, Hunters, Police and possibly others I'm forgetting, completely coated in both in "black ti" and "gold ti". Can't see any reason why the blade, and other steel components, of model which can be disassembled could not be done.

FWIW - even most, if not all, the all stainless knives Spyderco coated themselves were coated after assembly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What do i need to know about heat treat and temperature and what point it would do the steel harm? I can probably have this done for free but if it'll ruin my heat treat then it'd be a waste.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

There is a guy here who can cerakote knives. I had one done.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Cerakote works very well and does not require hatu curing, so it won't affect your blade's temper.

Here's a photo of a project I did for an upcoming article in American Handgunner. The gun is a lightweight Centennial model. I had it black and tan Cerakoted for the project and decided to do a Sage 3 as a matching piece:

The coating was done by Iron Ridge Arms in Longmont, CO:

http://www.ironridgeguns.com/

The background is "bullet art" shot by Col. Rex Applegate's uncle, exhibition shooter Gus Peret.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mike, how does that stuff hold up on the blade when used? How would you compare it to the DLC coating?
~David
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Those look great Michael.

OP another coating you may want to look into is "Dura Coat" - Youtube gear reviewer "nutinfancy" really likes that stuff... your mileage may vary
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Bodycote does boron carbide coating, one of the more durable ones.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Mike, did you have to remove the coasting from the bevel of the blade after they were done? So that background is about 100 years old?
Jackson wrote:Those look great Michael.

OP another coating you may want to look into is "Dura Coat" - Youtube gear reviewer "nutinfancy" really likes that stuff... your mileage may vary
I've seen his vids regarding the DuraCoat and his knives seem to holdup pretty well.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Duracoat works great, no heat required and sooo many options. Only drawback is the curing time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

That is cool, I enjoy his reviews but I really had no experience with the product outside his thoughts. Sounds like it could work well for Evil D's applications.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I wonder if Robar's NP3 Coating could be used on a knife....would really slick up its action for sure...I know guys who have had their firearms done with it and love what it does for the guns....I'm told it's a pretty amazing coating...anybody with any experience....BTW Mike: Nice looking job they did on both the sage and smith...very sweet!.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

angusW wrote:Mike, did you have to remove the coasting from the bevel of the blade after they were done? So that background is about 100 years old?

I've seen his vids regarding the DuraCoat and his knives seem to holdup pretty well.
Yes, the blade had to be sharpened to remove the coating.

The background bullet art was shot during the 1930's, when Gus Peret was an exhibition shooter for Remington.

I haven't done much cutting with the Sage, but recently tested the new Allen Elishewitz fixed blades from Hogue. Those are Duracoated in house during production. The coating on those held up very well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I don't see the bolt-action lock on your Sage. Are you sure it's not a Sage 2?
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i think thats a sage 2 titanium not a sage 3 right?
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

mikerestivo wrote:I don't see the bolt-action lock on your Sage. Are you sure it's not a Sage 2?
Yes, it's a 2. Sorry, fat-fingered typing...

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
jforbush

Post by jforbush »

I have worked with all the spray on coatings out there I think....Cerakote is my preferred coating and I have done A LOT of knives and other tactical gear with it. So far everyone is happy. Well...at least no one has complained to me or on the boards about my work.

Post up some questions or PM me...email me if you like. I have a website but I don't know if it is ok to post it....I don't want to look like I am advertising. Just want to answer everyones questions.
AKA....HOGBUSH RAT PACK # 219
Tanker Till I Die
http://www.4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com