Which parts to replace on a used Endura 4 FFG?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AliasNeo07

Which parts to replace on a used Endura 4 FFG?

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Hello all,

My EDC since it was released has been a brown Endura4 FFG. I think I like it too much, and I probably open and close the thing maybe 40-80 times every single day. IF I was going to wear the mechanism out, what parts are going to break first? It's starting to feel not QUITE as smooth as it used to be. I was thinking about buying a lightweight parts kit for the bushings and throwing some new ones in there.

Which parts do you think should be replaced to ensure ultra reliability?

Thanks!

PS: I realize I probably haven't worn it down much at all, but I like certain knives of mine to be in top shape, and would appreciate tips on which parts should be replaced first. Thanks!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

No need for replacement parts, it's not your everyday 5$ Wallmart knife. :D
The parts kit exists due to people disassembling their knives and losing parts, that's the main reason. People have generation 1 Enduras and Delicas for the 90's and they still function like clockwork. Metal doesn't wear as easily as you might think... Usually the little wear you get is good, the parts aren't exactly custom fit to each other so they have to break in for optimal performance.

It's not parts you need, it's maintenance.
Mainly cleaning, and when in doubt, LUBRICATE! Actually when it's folding knives in question, always lubricate the pivot. The stiffness you have developing is just dirt caught in the pivot. Do not disassemble your knife for cleaning, it voids the warranty and people tend to screw things up when they don't know what they are doing.

Instead, if it's really bad, you can rinse it with soap and water to get most of the crap out (you can loosen the pivot screw for this), many people use WD40 to get the moisture out, you can also air or blow dry it.

If it's not too bad you can skip the cleaning and go straight to lubing (this is probably your case), get some oil. There are a variety of oils in the market, the most common and easy to get ones used on knives are gun oils and mineral oil, those are not optimal but will do the trick. (WD40 is not a lubricant.) Oil the pivot, a drop or two on both sides and work it in. If it seeps out with a lot of crud on it, wipe it off and re-apply, this will flush out dirt and debree. Work it in and it should be sssssssmoooooth! :cool:
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I suppose there are many good lubricants but one I have had good results with is Tuf-Glide by Sentry Solutions. It comes with a very fine needle applicator and goes on as a liquid that penetrates well when it's worked into the pivot a bit. After a few minutes, the liquid dries but leaves behind a dry lubricating film that bonds to the metal parts and lasts a fairly long time. Because it dries, it does not attract or cause dirt to stick in the mechanism which can be a problem with many other kinds of lubricants.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Tuf-Glide on folded toilet paper for the blade, and tuf glide needle applicator for the mechanism. I guess I'm just scared I'm not applying it to the proper place, and maybe over-lubricating it. I was attracted to tuf-glide because it's a "dry" lubricant, so I guess I shouldn't worry about over lubricating.

The thing that confuses me the most is that I read when you clean the phosphor-bronze bushings (If you disassemble the knife, which I won't), you want to make sure they are very very dry before reassembling. So lubricating them seems counter-intuitive. Guess I'm still learning.

So, the bronze bushings are good to go for many many many tens of thousands of openings/closings?

Oh, one more question while I have the opportunity. I've been using Q-tips with a drop of tuf-glide to clean the inside of the liners/mechanism. Bad idea?
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Tuff-Glide is recommended by many and will get the job done very well. If lubing doesn't work, it may need a more thorough cleaning.

I think by dry people meant no moisture. And yes they are very durable, the only way you can mess them up is if you disassemble it and accidentally bend it. I've never even heard of nylon washers breaking.

Q-tips with Tuff Glide isn't bad, just make sure fibers from the q-tip don't get stuck there, I think compressed air is hands down the best for getting dust out off the insides, especially with skeletonized liners. :)
phaust

Post by phaust »

nevermind: misread it
araneae

Post by araneae »

Your knife is tougher than you think. Sounds like you are doing much more than average to care for it. Don't worry, it'll serve you a long time with little maintenance necessary. There are 20 year old Enduras out there still going strong. Just put it in your pocket and use it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

I'll just get an endura trainer, that way I can play with that instead of the real deal. It's just sort of hard to justify buying one because they're the same price as the real ones!
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Just buy the other FFG colors and rotate them that way once doesn't take all the abuse. I'm like you, I incessantly open and close my knives. I'm up to 6 Enduras and rotate them.
AliasNeo07 wrote:I'll just get an endura trainer, that way I can play with that instead of the real deal. It's just sort of hard to justify buying one because they're the same price as the real ones!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Believe us, you're NOT gonna wear it out! :D
It will only get smoother and better, after a year of use, I still don't think my Delica4 is broken in enough. And yes I play with my knives a lot as well. Unless you're into SD training the trainer doesn't really serve a purpose.
Use and play with your current Endura4 and at some point look into getting another knife, maybe another model. :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Just use your knife, trust us.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Ugh I want one of each color Delica and Endura, then a blue delica and blue endura that I'll keep in the safe. Time to start saving...

I don't know what it is about those two spydies, but I love them more than any other spydie i've handled.

Time to start saving.

Yourcornerstore, start restocking!
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I have the black, blue, green and grey Endura 4's. I'd still like to get the brown one..skip the purple, but also get the ZDP-189 in BRG. That and one of the saber grind white ones.
AliasNeo07 wrote:Ugh I want one of each color Delica and Endura, then a blue delica and blue endura that I'll keep in the safe. Time to start saving...

I don't know what it is about those two spydies, but I love them more than any other spydie i've handled.

Time to start saving.

Yourcornerstore, start restocking!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hypothetically if you wear it out before the other way around (unlikely :D ), this should set you up nicely:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=290

I would personally just wait till you see them talk of discontinuing your favorite color and buy a spare. At $50-60 if it helps you sleep at night it's probably not a bad idea.
AliasNeo07

Post by AliasNeo07 »

Blerv wrote:Hypothetically if you wear it out before the other way around (unlikely :D ), this should set you up nicely:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=290

I would personally just wait till you see them talk of discontinuing your favorite color and buy a spare. At $50-60 if it helps you sleep at night it's probably not a bad idea.
Speaking of which, HAVE the talked about discontinuing any of them?
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

wsdavies wrote:[...]skip the purple, [...]
Why? It is a cool color and it looks nice on the Endura:

Dennis
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Your knife is tougher than you think. Sounds like you are doing much more than average to care for it. Don't worry, it'll serve you a long time with little maintenance necessary. There are 20 year old Enduras out there still going strong. Just put it in your pocket and use it.
I agree very much. I have one from 92. It gets smoother operating as it gets older. My secret? Leave it in my pocket and run it through the washing machine. I usually find or remember it somewhere in the dryer when it makes noise. I just wipe it down, re lube it and it's good for a few more years. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Nice Endura collection. The only reason I'd buy a purple Endura is to swap blades with a black one so I could have a FFG black Endura...Looks like you already have one...Nice :D
Murdoc wrote:Why? It is a cool color and it looks nice on the Endura:
Dennis
Theodore Roosevelt