New guy looking for my first spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ac700wildcat

New guy looking for my first spydie

Post by ac700wildcat »

Hey all
New guy here and I'm just getting into kinda collecting a few knives. I've always carried a pocket knife, but never had anything better than a $20 knife until I ordered a BM Griptilian a few weeks ago. Since then I've ordered a BM Mini Barrage, Camillus Blaze, and a Ontario Rat 1. I like the Griptilian, but its almost too big, so that is about my upper size limit and the Blaze is about as small as I'd want to go.

Anyways, everything I read says that Spyderco makes some really good knives, so I decided I want to order one. I'd like something with a plain edge and within the sizes of the knives I listed above. Also, I'm not much into the really extreme looking blades with the huge ramps on the blade. As far as cost goes under $100 would be good for a first spydie.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I say the manix 2 would be a nice addition to any collection. Delica would be great too, but since you expressed dislike for the ramp...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Manix 2 is awesome...a stretch in ZDP would be a good one too.
On the hunt for...
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Hi and welcome. You need to look no further than a delica. For a little over a $100.00 you can get 2. Try a 1/2 serrated one and a plain full flat ground one. Those 2 knives should get you through just about anything and would be a great introduction to spyderco. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I say try a Delica FFG or Stretch 2.

If you are willing to spend around $100, Sage 1 would be the best IMO. You will be blown away by the quality of the design, materials and construction.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

You could get a PE Manix 2 *and* an SE Byrd Hawkbill for under $100 - that combination lets you try a little bit of everything and gives you incredible value. Just my .02
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

Manix 2 - get the G-10 regular version. You will be astounded at the quality for the price. Especially when it is sitting there next to your griptillian. I am speaking from experience. The Griptillian was the first "quality knife" I bought. The Manix 2 in the pic was my first Spyderco. I have only bought Spyderco since for folding knives. They look a little funky sometimes, but when you use one, you will "get it".
Attachments
Photo2.jpg
Photo2.jpg (100.45 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Photo1.jpg
Photo1.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Try the manix 2. There are plenty of sprints you could find on ebay, or the production models are very nice too. I own the orange and foliage green..but truth be told I really want that all black version.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Sage 1 or 3 :spyder:
ac700wildcat

Post by ac700wildcat »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its looking like the manix2 is the one to try. Thanks for the picture of the manix and griptilian together jonj. I've been looking for some size comparison pictures and thats the first decent one I've seen. Anyone have any other pictures of the other suggestions with a griptilian that they could share?

I was searching through the sight and was checking out the Native. Any input on that one? Any suggestions on a decent online store to order from.

Thanks
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

The Native Lightweight (C41BK) is a great knife. It's overall a bit smaller than the Manix 2, and is about half the weight. The weight savings comes from the lack of liners, but the FRN handle is not at all flimsy. The Native also has pinned instead of screw construction, so you can't adjust the pivot or disassemble (voids warranty) the knife. The S30V steel is considered a more premium steel than the Manix 154cm, but they are both high quality. Depending on your usage, you may never notice a difference.

As for places to buy... I've personally bought knives from Knifecenter, Cutlery Shoppe, New Graham Knives, and Your Corner Store. A couple other places to check out are Knife Works, Poorfish, and Knives Ship Free. Also, if you're in Canada, there's Warriors and Wonders.

You can alos find sellers on ebay, but be aware that there are certain sellers that are known to sell Spydercos built form assorted parts, usually labeled as unique models. So if you see something that seems too good a deal, it probably is.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Stretch2, Delica, or Enura.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

You are going to buy them all sooner or later, so dig deep & buy them all now.
You will be poor but happy. That is also going to happen in the end, no matter what. Jump in with both feet. It's some thing your wife will be overjoyed to see you do, do it for both of your sakes. :D
O.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

O,just,O wrote:You are going to buy them all sooner or later, so dig deep & buy them all
+1
....unfortunately he is right. anyway i say ukpk/caly or manix = you want something a bit bigger and sturdier!
Dune

Post by Dune »

My vote is for a Sage 1 or a Delica 4 . Both are great knives...can be had for under a hundred bucks, have great steel, and will totally get you hooked on Spyderco. :D
Knife list..... Paramilitary 2 , Sage 1 , Delica 4, Endura 4 FFG

Knife Wants....Manix 2, Caly 3, Tenacious, Dragonfly 2
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

You can't go wrong with some of the most popular Spydercos ... try not to get too worried about thumb-ramps or looks because once you start to use one you'll understand why they're there and you'll be hooked ;) I'd always recommend something like sprint-run Delicas, Stretch, Caly3, Sage, Manix2, Endura ... and of course the UKPK if you want a non-locking EDC :) If you have any $$ left over get yourself one of the keychain knives, like the Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper series or the Ladybug :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Welcome. I'd say go for a Delica. There are lots of options for color, grind and handle material. All well under $100. The Native is a nice USA made option too. While you're at it add a Ladybug SE for your key chain, it'll surprise you.

Knifecenter, Knifeworks, New Graham knives and Cutlery Shoppe are all well respected sellers.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ac700wildcat wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. Its looking like the manix2 is the one to try. Thanks for the picture of the manix and griptilian together jonj. I've been looking for some size comparison pictures and thats the first decent one I've seen. Anyone have any other pictures of the other suggestions with a griptilian that they could share?

I was searching through the sight and was checking out the Native. Any input on that one? Any suggestions on a decent online store to order from.

Thanks
My suggestion to you ac700wildcat, is to get the Manix 2 if you like the size based on the picture. I don't have one but do have one on order. I've been buying Spydercos for about 5 years. Only have six or so but love all of them. Also, I've been on this forum and I believe you can trust the recommendations you get as honest. Everyone has different likes/dislikes so that will influence recommendations of coarse. I have two small EDC knives and a couple of larger EDC knives. I like to carry two for various reasons. Now, I want a medium sized HARD-USE EDC folder so I emailed Spyderco for their input. One recommendation came back and it was the Manix 2. There was a mention that there were others that would suffice but the Manix 2 was at the top of the list and that is what I asked for. That recommendation I think is backed up by people on this forum that have actually used the knife. Just do a search on Manix in the forum and after about 15 minutes of reading you'll order one. If you want to read every post with good things to say about it you'll need vacation time from work.

Inet shopping recommendation: cutleryshoppe.com
I always look there first. They consistantly have the best price and as good a selection as well. Great customer service also.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

O,just,O wrote:You are going to buy them all sooner or later, so dig deep & buy them all now.
You will be poor but happy. That is also going to happen in the end, no matter what. Jump in with both feet. It's some thing your wife will be overjoyed to see you do, do it for both of your sakes. :D
O.
What are you trying to do O? Make sure the poor guy can't afford a good divorce lawyer? :eek: :D

Jack
Cnolan76

Post by Cnolan76 »

I would say definately get the Delica 4. Once you fall in love with that one, you will end up getting more.