S30v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ccf

S30v

Post by ccf »

Just how hard is it to resharpen? I saw a video on YouTube where a guy said it was a bit of a chore & will take his to a knife shop when it's time to sharpen. Is it a pain? Or can it be a pain?

I love the Sage1, but the only thing I'm worried about is resharpening. Will a Sharpmaker do the job without being too difficult? I kinda wish the Sage1 was VG10.

Anyway, just looking for some direction. Any opinions greatly appreciated.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Spydercos are not really too hard to sharpen on a Sharpmaker because the 40 degree setting on it will usually hit the edge of most of their knives. Some are even good to go at the 30 degree setting out of the box.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Itreally depends on what you consider a "chore" and what your experience with different steels is. I think a lot of people actually stop short of getting their knives to the best edge when they feel it is a bit sharp anyway so they think sharpening is a shorter job than it actually is. Anyway, it should be a bit harder than GIN-1, 440C and BD-1 but it isn't in the same league as ZDP-189 or S90V by all accounts. Just try to keep your knife touched-up and sharp and don't let it get really blunt in the first place ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
mrsonofagun45

Post by mrsonofagun45 »

I have the sage 2 and I can give it a good edge using 20 degree angles.I was intimidated at first because I heard the same things you heard.But I am still learning and have a looooong way to go.I am sure someone will chime in and give you better advise.Good luck.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

dont let it get dull, touch it up once or twice a week depending on your uses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
araneae

Post by araneae »

With the sharpmaker, maintaining the edge is key. Don't let it get too dull or its more work than it should be. S30V is about the same as VG-10 to me, I would say it takes just a bit more work. Is it hard to sharpen? I don't think so.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ccf wrote:Just how hard is it to resharpen? I saw a video on YouTube where a guy said it was a bit of a chore & will take his to a knife shop when it's time to sharpen. Is it a pain? Or can it be a pain?

I love the Sage1, but the only thing I'm worried about is resharpening. Will a Sharpmaker do the job without being too difficult? I kinda wish the Sage1 was VG10.

He needs to stick to 440A or "Surgical Stainless" blades. S30V is a breeze to sharpen. But then, I'm used to S90V. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

S30V is quite easy to sharpen, imo. It just takes a few more strokes than VG-10 but not that many. I find it grinds pretty quickly and easily and seems to take a great edge and seems fairly tough too. I'm pretty happy with it.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
ccf

Post by ccf »

Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

I won't let S90V deter me now. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ccf wrote:Just how hard is it to resharpen? I saw a video on YouTube where a guy said it was a bit of a chore & will take his to a knife shop when it's time to sharpen. Is it a pain? Or can it be a pain?

This is what I believe with all my heart. If you want a knife like the Sage I, get it. I'd hate for you not to get a knife that is as nice and costs what the Sage I costs because you didn't feel like you can sharpen it. Sharpening it will involve two things. Some money for tools and what tools to buy depending on how much you have or want to spend. Based on your post I'm guessing you don't have much experience sharpening. When it comes to sharpeners there are a several good ones and a few really good ones and prices that come along. The second thing is learning, practice, learning and experience. Yes, learning is there twice. I've learned tons from guys on this forum and what I've read. Then I practiced what I learned. If buying sharpening stuff is an issue right off maybe you have a friend who can do a good job until you have the tools and ability to do it yourself. Or you can send it to Spyderco every so often to get it sharpened for a tiny bit of money. If you do that you may need a backup knife so consider one of their value folders which are really nice. No matter what you decide on the sharpening issue, get the Sage. I bet that would look good on a T-Shirt. :D

Jack
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'm not a huge fan of S30V, but it has nothing to do with the way it takes an edge. Like many have said, use a Sharpmaker to 'maintain' a good edge and it will be a non-issue. I can hardly tell a difference in the way it sharpens compared to VG-10. Get the Sage, , , , and a Sharpmaker. You will not be disappointed.
amar

Post by amar »

I recently sharpened my Sage 2 on the sharpmaker - was slightly scared, since I did not want to ruin the Sage, and here is what helped:
(a) slow, deliberate strokes on the sharpmaker are a must if you want to reduce scratches to the sides, and mess up the blade
(b) hold the Sage at its natural holding position - thumb on the jimping, and forefinger in the first groove below.
(c) if your hand gets heavy, or hurts, stop. You are doing something wrong. The pressure on the blade should be minimal, and there should be no fatigue to your hands.

It sharpened in 20 strokes (each) of medium edge, medium flat, fine edge, fine flat.

-Amarendra
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

S30V is not too bad to sharpen with modern sharpening stuff like the sharpmaker.

The trick is not to let it get dull so you are just touching up the edge.