WOW!! Still LOVING my Lil Temperance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bam-it

WOW!! Still LOVING my Lil Temperance

Post by Bam-it »

Sorry Guys and Gals but I just have to say that after all the years I'm still LOVING the Spyderco Lil temperance. With all the fantastic knives Spyderco has put out, I have to say that this is my John Deere of knives. Thanks SAL for creating this jewel, Please don't over change the second version.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm looking forward to picking up the next issue of this knife, and maybe lucking out and getting an older one for a bargain.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I have been using my Lil Temp (leaf blade 440V) a lot lately and I totally agree. It is a great knife and is becoming one of my favorites. I got mine used in 2009. I like this original version better than the '2' proto/concept that I handled at the 2010 Blade Show. I think I read somewhere on these forums that they have redesigned the '2' again since then. It will be interesting to see what exactly it turns out like. Personally, I think the original is perfect.

How many years have you been using yours Bam-it?
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Left Hand Path wrote:I think I read somewhere on these forums that they have redesigned the '2' again since then. It will be interesting to see what exactly it turns out like. Personally, I think the original is perfect.
Mine's in my pocket now. The only problem I ever had with it is the amount of the pocket opening it takes up. I've taken to carrying it in my back pocket, ala Paul. The 440V is my favorite version due to the more refined clip and better/more beveling; I have one NIB. But it's the 1st S30V production run I carry because it is 3" and legal in Everett, whereas my 440V is 3 1/8".

I soured on the new model due to the thicknesses of the blade and handle being decreased. I'll probably like it, but it will be a different knife.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The blade was thinned...that's annoying. Wasn't the point of the original to have a mini "beast" of a knife? Something that was built really stout and solid? Seems to me that Spyderco has a huge line up of small and smallish slicers...but nothing that falls into the same category as the original Lil Temperance.

I think that the word Boo comes to mind about the thinner blade.
On the hunt for...
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:The blade was thinned...
IIRC, Sal said some time ago that the LT2 would be made in Japan, 3mm rather than 4mm blade and a slimmer black handle. Given that much time has passed I hope the thinking has changed.

I'd accept a slightly thinner blade if they had the Taichung maker do it in O-1 with a nice sculpted micarta/G-10 handle - in green/black micarta, dark green if G-10 of course.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DeathBySnooSnoo

Sequimite wrote:IIRC, Sal said some time ago that the LT2 would be made in Japan, 3mm rather than 4mm blade and a slimmer black handle. Given that much time has passed I hope the thinking has changed.

I'd accept a slightly thinner blade if they had the Taichung maker do it in O-1 with a nice sculpted micarta/G-10 handle - in green/black micarta, dark green if G-10 of course.
I think that I'd still go with the 4mm blade :D Imagine it with a 5mm blade *sigh*

but I really do think that if they go that route of a slimmer blade they loose the point of the original...
On the hunt for...
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I will cry if they make it in japan!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Temp 2 uses 4mm VG-10, perhaps they will end up using it for the new LT2. Given it's role as a super-tough little knife I would think that the 3.5mm O-1 that Taichung is using on the Bushcraft would be even more appropriate.
DeathBySnooSnoo

I hope that its not vg-10. Good steel but not compared to the 440V, as far as I can tell any way.

Not sure the comparison to O1...but I'd take O1 over VG-10.
On the hunt for...
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Best knife ever made! Best clip ever made! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

SpydieZ wrote:I will cry if they make it in japan!!
Knives currently produced in Golden: Military, Paramilitary, Native, UKPK, Manix 2 are models that form a stable long-term core that eat up most of the available production hours. Models likely to be one or two production batches and done are farmed out to subs (IMO the Leafstorm is an exception). Given that the Lil' Temp, despite being plagued by supplier problems, went through 4 production runs I think the potential is there. However, I don't think the redesign is seen as likely to be a long-term steady selling model, which makes it very unlikely to be made in Golden.
bh49

Lil T

Post by bh49 »

Bam-it wrote:I'm still LOVING the Spyderco Lil temperance. With all the fantastic knives Spyderco has put out, I have to say that this is my John Deere of knives. Thanks SAL for creating this jewel, Please don't over change the second version.
Of cause, what not to love? The knife is fantastic.
SpydieZ wrote:I will cry if they make it in japan!!
this will make two of us, and certainly will be more
Sequimite wrote:Knives currently produced in Golden: Military, Paramilitary, Native, UKPK, Manix 2 are models that form a stable long-term core that eat up most of the available production hours. Models likely to be one or two production batches and done are farmed out to subs (IMO the Leafstorm is an exception). Given that the Lil' Temp, despite being plagued by supplier problems, went through 4 production runs I think the potential is there. However, I don't think the redesign is seen as likely to be a long-term steady selling model, which makes it very unlikely to be made in Golden.
IIRC, Chinook is discontinued, so may be it will be easier to fit LT2 in production schedule. I love your idea about black-green micarta. Like Hossoms, right? :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

bh49 wrote:t black-green micarta. Like Hossoms, right? :)
Very like. The Hossums were the first knives I bought just because the handles were so cool. They used green/gray micarta.
DeathBySnooSnoo

I'd love to see more micarta on Spydies...
On the hunt for...
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

In my opinion there are not enough golden Made knives, of course taking into consideration they have a small staff and limited space. I do not like the idea of switching from the previous models origin, that includes almost all the spydies I can think of. Taking another golden made knife and outsourcing it completly turns me off. This is really upsetting news to hear that one of my favorite models will be drastically changed.. Sal this is not cool bro :(
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sequimite wrote:Very like. The Hossums were the first knives I bought just because the handles were so cool. They used green/gray micarta.
that is funny. I bought one of the Hossoms only because I love the handle also
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpydieZ wrote:In my opinion there are not enough golden Made knives,
I can only wish that all :spyder: would be made in Golden. Unfortunately, this is not realistic. Also rapid increase of production involve investments, risk and hassle (this is not easy to find qualified help or train people).

Bam-it

Post by Bam-it »

I Still have not found a better knife! Can anyone tell me what the real reason is that they discountinued this knife.
MCM

Post by MCM »

It must not have been selling too well.

I sold mine as it didnt fit my large hand, for me it was too blocky & didnt carry well. Just me I guess.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......