manix 2 with Carpenters steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

manix 2 with Carpenters steel

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Is this only available through Blade HQ?
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

No, it's a normal sprint run. It has been available for pre-order via bentoboxshop for a couple months now.

From what I've read, the steel is supposed to be similar to BG-42.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

anyone know the dif for this one and the older carpenter steel manix? sorry if this has been discussed prior
DeathBySnooSnoo

Oh yeah right...just looked at the product code....Duh moment there. That the same steel as that upcoming Para2 run?
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Para 2 Carpenter is CTS-20CP, which is supposed to be similar to CPM-S90V. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Just to clarify, I believe the exclusive run from Bento Box Shop is CPM M4 steel. The sprint run should be available to all dealers, it's steel is CTS B75P, which is similar to BG-42 in composition, but is made from the powder metallurgy process.
DeathBySnooSnoo

So the B75P...is similar to BG-42...which is similar but slightly improved over ATS-34 right?
On the hunt for...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Is this only available through Blade HQ?
Were you referring to the CTS-XHP sprint, or one of the others mentioned above?
moonberrys

Post by moonberrys »

You know there are too many sprint run manix's when theres this much confusion lol.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Well I knew about the CTS B75P from BentoBoxShop...but on Blade HQ they referred to it as Carpenters Steel, so I thought that it was something different, but it is not.

Annoyingly both places only ship to the US...
On the hunt for...
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Well I knew about the CTS B75P from BentoBoxShop...but on Blade HQ they referred to it as Carpenters Steel, so I thought that it was something different, but it is not.

Annoyingly both places only ship to the US...
BentoBoxShop exclusive Manix 2 is with CPM-M4.

The CTS-B75P Manix 2 is a Spyderco Sprint that will be sold through the normal distribution network. So you'll be able to find them in a bunch of different places.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
DeathBySnooSnoo

dsmegst wrote:BentoBoxShop exclusive Manix 2 is with CPM-M4.

The CTS-B75P Manix 2 is a Spyderco Sprint that will be sold through the normal distribution network. So you'll be able to find them in a bunch of different places.
Yeah just that so far I have only seen pre-order for the B75P at Howes, Blade HQ and BentoBox.
On the hunt for...
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

moonberrys wrote:You know there are too many sprint run manix's when theres this much confusion lol.
Blasphemy!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

FWIW, CTS-B75 has better corrosion resistance but worse edge retention than CTS-XHP and similar corrosion resistance and better edge retention than CTS-BD1. For reference, CTS-20CP is a little less corrosion resistant than CTS-XHP but similar in edge retention. This is according to Carpenter's Selectaloy diagram on their CTS steels. That said, XHP, 20CP and 204P are all in the top hierarchy for edge retention (in order of best to least corrosion resistance, the order is 204P, XHP and 20CP in that edgeholding class) so there could easily be a notable advantage in 20CP for edgeholding that would create another column on the chart, rather than just having a "best out of 4" type category to help choose an alloy. YMMV, but Carpenter has some seriously good info on their products so I would look at this as at least a good ballpark on the raw steel itself. I'd like to get every supersteel Manix to compare, and will if I can get paid enough soon enough to get them before ridiculous aftermarket prices sink in.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It will be interesting to see how the various Carpenter steels perform in the real world. The Manix platform is almost a Mule project in itself.