H1 catcherman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shenmue728

H1 catcherman

Post by Shenmue728 »

Did I miss it? Still usn exclusive?
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Didn't miss it :) . Last time I checked it was being proto'ed for USN.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I miss it :( . I would love to have one...
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ClusterFlux wrote:I miss it :( . I would love to have one...
Register to USN and keep an eye out :)
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

when is it coming out?
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Will these be put into regular production this year?

The USN edition looks nice, but the black coated blade is the only drawback (personal preference).
Slash

Post by Slash »

MachSchnell wrote:Will these be put into regular production this year?

The USN edition looks nice, but the black coated blade is the only drawback (personal preference).
No regular production for h1 catcherman that I'm aware of.
The black coating is easy enough to remove if you don't like it.
JD Spydo

Still a few at SFO

Post by JD Spydo »

I just talked to one of the guys at the Spyderco Factory Outlet about a week ago and they still have a few of them in stock>> at least they did when I spoke to him. I'm kind of wanting a back up unit myself but with funds pending I might just have to be content with one :o

But I bet if you get ahold of SFO you can probably snag one. If you know of any of the guys at USN maybe they could be of help to you.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Yeah, I just bought a backup for my backup along with my last Mule Team order :D . Got to make sure I always have one! There was a limit of two when I ordered the first ones, but since they still had them in stock after so many months I don't think there was any issue with ordering another one. Wouldn't want Spyderco to get stuck with unsold stock! :)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
cckw

Post by cckw »

they are available on e-bay and various knife forums on a regular basis. Both the old version and new. I know many guys get mad because the sellers are making a profit. But here is how I see it, Spyderco made a profit on it, ebay& paypal combine takes 12% so why can't the guy who has what I want make something too?

I have bought and sold at the higher aftermarket prices and the only ones that haunt me are the ones I didn't buy because they were a little higher then I wanted to pay that day. I judge the price vs value to me and buy or don't.

Now go buy a knife and be happy!
jossta

Post by jossta »

Nice! Yeah, I believe they removed the cap, so you're good to go :D . I had two, but didn't use mine. Sold one on USN, gave the other to my stepdad since he's getting into fishing...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MachSchnell wrote:Will these be put into regular production this year?

Given how slowly the USN sprint has been selling, I'd be amazed to see another version going into any kind of production.
JD Spydo

They just don't realize how awesome of an outdoor knife the H-1 Catcherman is

Post by JD Spydo »

JNewell wrote:Given how slowly the USN sprint has been selling, I'd be amazed to see another version going into any kind of production.
Yeah and that really surprises me too :confused: >> because for the jacked up prices that I see some of the Catcherman's going for on ebay and other market places I just can't for the life of me understand why this extremely unique collector's piece sold so slowly. I was even shocked when one of the guys at SFO told me that they still had some of the units left :confused:

I'm trying like the dickens to get me another one to use because I definitely wanted one for the collection being it's going to be a slam dunk 2 to 3 years down the road because of the super collector value I'm sure it will incur.

But the H-1 Catcherman could possibly be the very best folding fillet knife on the entire production market and I personally can't wait till spring fishing season so I can put mine through some first hand tests.

This sort of reminds me of the "Stainless Rescue" models :confused: In my opinion those Stainless Rescue models. i.e. C-14 & C-45 may indeed be the most ridgid and solid built Spyder models ever. But for some extremely strange reason they sure got passed up. But down the road that could be the recipe for a nice collector value.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

There are still 46 available.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah and that really surprises me too :confused: >> because for the jacked up prices that I see some of the Catcherman's going for on ebay and other market places I just can't for the life of me understand why this extremely unique collector's piece sold so slowly..........

Thats the problem.....the knife is sold and priced as a collectors piece.

This style of a knife needs to be sold outside of spyderco.com to attract the people who would actually use them.

If they were available at your favorite outdoors website. I think you would have a much better chance of success, even if it was released in limited numbers.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

That's the thing, I have plenty of funds in purgatory on my Paypal account, and Spyderco doesn't accept Paypal as far as I know.

Paypal will also charge fees to move funds from the Paypal account and that sucks.
JD Spydo

The Catcherman is meant to be used and used a lot

Post by JD Spydo »

dd61999 wrote:Thats the problem.....the knife is sold and priced as a collectors piece.

This style of a knife needs to be sold outside of spyderco.com to attract the people who would actually use them.

If they were available at your favorite outdoors website. I think you would have a much better chance of success, even if it was released in limited numbers.
DD you do indeed make a good point. Because I have used every Catcherman I've owned up till now and I'll probably end up using this one unless I can get me an extra one without forcing myself to a hot dog and Ramen soup diet for the next month :eek: :rolleyes:

It is a really neat piece to look at with the nuclear green handle and the black blade but I agree the Catcherman is a knife that should be used not only outdoors but it's a dream in the kitchen as well. I use my older AUS-8 SE version in the kitchen at least twice a week or so.

One of the original Catcherman models from the early 90s was made with a nuclear yellow handle which I think was right to begin with. It makes it much easier to find if you're fishing, hunting or backpacking ( black would get lost much easier). Again the fully serrated Catcherman is just about my favorite kitchen knife period.
bchan

Post by bchan »

JD Spydo wrote:
One of the original Catcherman models from the early 90s was made with a nuclear yellow handle which I think was right to begin with. It makes it much easier to find if you're fishing, hunting or backpacking ( black would get lost much easier). Again the fully serrated Catcherman is just about my favorite kitchen knife period.
Are you referring to the one with yellow handle and made in VG10? I recently snatched such a fully serrated model off Ebay.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

JD Spydo wrote: One of the original Catcherman models from the early 90s was made with a nuclear yellow handle which I think was right to begin with. It makes it much easier to find if you're fishing, hunting or backpacking
That is my main concern, on a boat the green would be very easy to spot; but on the bank of a pond, lake/reservoir with greenery about, the green handle and black non-reflective blade could easily blend into the surroundings and become lost (almost lost my black on black ParaMilitary 2 that way, granted it was getting dark out). A yellow or an orange handle would be optimal for the application of what the Catcherman was intended for.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MachSchnell wrote:That is my main concern, on a boat the green would be very easy to spot; but on the bank of a pond, lake/reservoir with greenery about, the green handle and black non-reflective blade could easily blend into the surroundings and become lost (almost lost my black on black ParaMilitary 2 that way, granted it was getting dark out). A yellow or an orange handle would be optimal for the application of what the Catcherman was intended for.
Not sure about losing that green :) It's a very bright, more or less day-glow, green.