How is your Para 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is the status of your Paramilitary 2?

I have no blade play, the blade opens easily, and the lock bar operates smoothly.
63%
I have blade play that I cannot get rid of.
7%
I had blade play out of the box, but I was able to adjust it away.
4%
The detent is too strong or too weak and I cannot fix it.
3%
The detent was too strong or too weak, but I was able to adjust it away.
No votes
My lock bar sticks.
13%
My lock bar used to stick, but I was able to adjust it away.
5%
I had to send mine in for warranty, but now it works fine.
No votes
I got rid of mine, it solved all of my problems.
1%
My Para 2 has issues, but I am still happy with it.
4%

Total votes: 120

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Both of mine have been silky smooth and easy to operate right out of the box.
:bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dune wrote:...not really that bad IMO

Yep, not bad at all but not "as close to perfect as a knife gets" ;)

The para is an excellent design executed well but by definition a folder with an off-center blade(no matter how little off) is not "as close to perfect as a knife gets". Knives do get more perfect than having an off center blade.
Dune

Post by Dune »

Please read....
Dune wrote:As a whole the knife is "as close to perfect" mine maybe not be but the design is perfect IMO

I guess I really need to be careful how I word things? That is what I meant the knife design is as close to perfect...NOT MINE
Knife list..... Paramilitary 2 , Sage 1 , Delica 4, Endura 4 FFG

Knife Wants....Manix 2, Caly 3, Tenacious, Dragonfly 2
Senate

Post by Senate »

the new design is perfect IMO (improved blade/handle ratio, slimer "butt", bigger better screws, lower riding 4 ways clip, blade tang flushed in the handle) but the lock is a little sticky i admit.
it doesn't affect the useability of the knife in any way.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

Evil D wrote:Of the people who say their lock sticks...how many of you have done or frequently do inertia openings? Be honest... ;)
I can't speak for others, but for me, never. Just a smooth Spydie hole deployment and it still sticks. Dry lock face too.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dune wrote:Please read....
I did read. And this is what I read. Maybe you should read your post again. ;)
Dune wrote:Mine is as close to perfect as a knife can get! It is a tad off center, but has the most solid lockup of any folding knife I've ever held...it's that stout. The back compression lock is supposed to be a little strong to disengage though right? Mine sticks a little but it's not that bad...I close mine with my "bird" finger. It gives me a better purchase on the knife since I can hold it tighter with my pointing finger being on top of the knife plus gives me more leverage for pushing in the comp lock bar. I can play with it forever without finger fatigue. I think this is the best well rounded knife I've owned so far...not to heavy, awesome ergos, awesome blade, super fast opening, and just downright sexy!! Will owning more than one make me even more happy? We might just have to see?!! :D

Dune wrote:I guess I really need to be careful how I word things? That is what I meant the knife design is as close to perfect...NOT MINE

We all gush about our spydies, more so me, but let's gush accurately. ;)

Elvis has left the building.
Dune

Post by Dune »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
We all gush about our spydies, more so me, but let's gush accurately. ;)

Elvis has left the building.

Good grief!! :rolleyes:
Knife list..... Paramilitary 2 , Sage 1 , Delica 4, Endura 4 FFG

Knife Wants....Manix 2, Caly 3, Tenacious, Dragonfly 2
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

I carried my Para 2 for months and I consider it to be a great knife. I loved everything about it except for the comp lock. The lock bar is sticky and operating the lock with my dominate hand (left hand) feels awkward even after months of practice. For me the lock is the only downfall of the knife. Eventually I reverted back to my pride and joy the LH millie. :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I only have the S90V version, and it is a bit stiff, and yes its a 2 handed closer for me being a lefty, but its pretty smooth. Not as smooth as my Manix though.
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

Can someone report to whether or not there is blade play on the S90V versions?

I'm not sure if people just aren't used to checking for this or they really don't have any.

Mine has a little side to side wobble, but zero up and down play. The lock feels reliable even with the blade wobble.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DeathBySnooSnoo

i have the tiniest little bit of side to side. But no up and down that I have noticed, I will double check at home tonight.
On the hunt for...
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Both Mine and my 4yr old's para 2 cf's are perfect! and i love them: lol he loves to hold his every now and then and put it back in its bag and box lol..
Donut

Post by Donut »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:i have the tiniest little bit of side to side. But no up and down that I have noticed, I will double check at home tonight.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Visual Articulation wrote:Both Mine and my 4yr old's para 2 cf's are perfect! and i love them: lol he loves to hold his every now and then and put it back in its bag and box lol..
That's pretty cool. I bet you in the next 8 years, there will be leaps in steel technology. There seems to have been quite a bit of evolution in just the past few years. :o
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Donut wrote:Can someone report to whether or not there is blade play on the S90V versions?

I'm not sure if people just aren't used to checking for this or they really don't have any.

Mine has a little side to side wobble, but zero up and down play. The lock feels reliable even with the blade wobble.
Three checked, no play, but some of the Manix 2s here do have minimal lateral play when open with the lock retracted fully, and the Manix 2 has the same bushing design, so I wouldn't be surprised if random P2s of any variety have the same. You obviously can't test for that with the lock engaged, unless there is a real problem with lockup. :eek: :D
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Donut wrote:Can someone report to whether or not there is blade play on the S90V versions?

The S90V Para 2 had slight blade play that was easily adjusted away. The 2nd S90V Para 2 was perfect out of the box. Smooth and no play. My S30V Para 2 has slight play that won't go away. But it's so little, I don't mind at all.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

Initially sticky lockbar, but it wore in and it operates smoothly now. Blade opening is smooth as glass. Just a little bit of side to side play, but I don't mind it. Blade it a little to the right, don't mind it either. July '10 run.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I have no problems with my Para 2. My Para 2 is one of the newer runs, so I don't know if that makes any difference. The blade is centered when closed, the lock up is solid with no play in any direction, the lock bar releases easily with what I consider the right amount of force, and the grind is even perfect. This is the first knife I have received were the edge is ground perfectly even on both sides.

I will admit the lock bar was a little hard to disengage when I first got it, but after a couple days of use it went away.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
jeffwatts@comcast.net

Para's

Post by jeffwatts@comcast.net »

I have 5 para 2's, all great no problems. I have 1 duplicate camo satin blade becauseI could not pass up the price, and I liked the camo pattern better. :rolleyes: My black G-10 black blade is definitely brownish and not as black as my camo black blade. Wish the hardware was black like the Manix2 black blades. :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

JNewell wrote:Three checked, no play, but some of the Manix 2s here do have minimal lateral play when open with the lock retracted fully, and the Manix 2 has the same bushing design, so I wouldn't be surprised if random P2s of any variety have the same. You obviously can't test for that with the lock engaged, unless there is a real problem with lockup. :eek: :D
I have a number of Manix 2's, and on every one that I use, tightening the pivot will get rid of all blade play. The detent on the Manix 2 is quite a bit different than the Para 2. When you tighten the pivot, the Manix 2 detent does not become a nuisance.

Right now, I think I am being over critical. I am going to watch some more replies. It seems like the reaction to this knife is 95% or more positive.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
DeathBySnooSnoo

So my S90V Para2...no up and down play at all, and that tiny bit of side to side, well, the smallest amount of tightening the pivot got rid of it. So slight an adjustment that you would have thought that I didn't even move it. So pretty much 100% play free. My lock is a bit tight...but that would be the only issue. And as I am a lefty and need to 2 hand close it, not an issue to have th lock a bit tight.
On the hunt for...