Hiking with Spyderco (what it is all about!) Photo Heavy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

Hiking with Spyderco (what it is all about!) Photo Heavy

Post by unit »

OK, there is more to me than my day job, and polishing/sharpening knives.

My kids are a huge part of me, and when the weather is habitable enough, my oldest son and I LOVE to get out for a hike! Truth is, the hike is a meager excuse to go sit in the woods and play with our knives. Ask my son, he will tell you straight up...we never hike without our Spydercos, and the entire hike is a series of questions from him:
1. When are we going to pick out some sticks?
2. Where are we going to stop and carve?
3. Repeat #1 and #2

For this reason, I always plan the carvin' spot toward the end of the trail...so I can wear him out a little prior to whittling, and I use that time to teach him about the outdoors.

Enough talk...here are some photos of our fun, finds, and my edge testing....

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Great stuff! I love to see kids enjoying the outdoors AND quality knives. :)
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Great pics and a fine looking lad you have there, Unit. It does my heart good to see such father and son activity.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I always look forward to your hiking pics, Unit. Thanks for sharing. What are the curly things in your hand - tusks? I'm hoping to check out the river soon here. The weather is finally not -20 C... and I'm not exaggerating. Longest Winter ever.

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

Jazz, Thanks. It felt REALLY good to get back out there. I wanted to be the he-man and keep hiking through winter, but Ben made it clear that there was no way he was going to join me (I think I went once without him...and it just was not as much fun).

They are forecasting more snow this week (ARRRG!).

Thanks for asking about the white things. I DO NOT KNOW what they are. I posted on a wilderness forum asking what they are...still not sure.

They appear really similar to ivory. They are almost greasy feeling, like a healthy fingernail. They are hollow on one end (I assume this was the end with the root) and are abraded on the other end (like a well worn claw). Both are nearly identical, but are a mirror image of one another (as if one is the left side and the other is the right).

If you ripped the claws out of a city dog, they would appear similar, but would not be nearly this long, nor would they curve a full half circle like these....and they would not be white I suppose...but they seem more like a canine claw than anything else I can envision.

I found them about 20 inches apart and half buried in the mud (here in Central Missouri). If anyone has any confidence in what they are, I am all ears!

More photos after rinsing the mud off. Dollar bill for scale.

viewed from the ends with hollow portion (where the root was):

Same view except they are flipped over to show how they are flat on one side:
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Those must be badger or wolverine claws; something like that.

Your kid's parka is way cool. Where's it from?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Chupacabra fangs. :p

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to do the same with my son. Just a little longer until the weather breaks.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
unit

Post by unit »

dj, I imagine you are correct...perhaps Badger claws? I would love to know for sure what species they came from and how they came to be so near each other (and no other parts around).

The parka is a Mini Boden (a European clothing producer). My wife makes custom clothing and holds pretty high standards for what she will dress the boys in...Boden is one of the few production brands that make her cut (they generally wear custom creations). I am not so lucky...I can not get her to so much as sew a button back on my shirt LOL. I kid, my wife is fantastic...she just doesn't have any interest in making me look good...she is frowning at me at the moment as I read this to her :)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yay. :) :) :) Enjoy every day. One of my boys is a sophomore in college, and his older brother graduates this year. :eek: All ages are great, but different. Enjoy every one. :)
gac

Post by gac »

Mouse antlers.
unit

Post by unit »

The guys on the wilderness forum are certain that they are teeth of a small-medium mammal...perhaps a muskrat, beaver, or ottor. They seem a bit narrow for beaver, but searched images of beaver teeth look similar.

I try to enjoy my moments with the boys. I spend a lot of time with them...probably more than a lot of dads....but it never feels like enough. They already at times would rather be doing something other than hanging with dad (usually video games). It is pretty rare, but sometimes I join them playing video games...whatever it takes!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

unit

Post by unit »

gac wrote:Mouse antlers.
You cracked my wife up pretty good with that! Nicely done!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Boar tusks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Looks like a good time. The Salt looks like a good size for him.

It's really good that you're getting outside with them, I think sometimes people won't know the joys of going outside (without their cell phone) and doing something.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
unit

Post by unit »

Donut wrote:Looks like a good time. The Salt looks like a good size for him.
Yep! I told the story about how he got that knife last year (it was mine and I got him a smaller slipjoint by Case...he had trouble with the Case but loved how the Spyder hole made two handed opening much easier for his small hands).

This resonates with me every time I hear someone ask about a knife for their woman/girlfriend/sister...Small hands do not always appreciate a small knife. Something like an Endura or Stretch for a person with small hands might be like a Military for someone with larger hands.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

unit wrote:
I try to enjoy my moments with the boys. I spend a lot of time with them...probably more than a lot of dads....but it never feels like enough.
That's it in a nutshell. :)

Here's a bedtime idea? Get you son(s) to tell you a story about what those whatevers are, and where they have been and where they came from! :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think some small knives are more dangerous for youngsters than handing them a Military. I think a secure grip is more important than the size of the blade, and if a kid can't get a steady grip on a Dragonfly, he's gonna run the risk of cutting himself more than he would with a Military where he can get a nice full grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

A question which seem appropriate n this thread; What knife/ knives would you think are good for a 11-14 year old? I gave my son a Byrd Robin last year when he moved up to Boy Scouts. I'm thinking a Delica will be next on his B-day maybe.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

I always enjoy great photos. Thanks. :spyder:
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If I had found those teeth here in the Philippines, it would be safe to say they came from a wild pig. The flatness of one side indicates teeth to me.

Nice pics of some awesome bonding with your son Ken.