More info on the upcoming Techno pls.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The more I look at it, the more I really dislike that spacer...it cheapens the look of the whole knife. It sort of says...look at this really tough rugged little knife, oops, maybe not so tough and well built with this cheap looking plastic bit stuffed in it. If they want some colour...maybe some differently coloured Ti or somthing, but plastic looks just cheap in that knife.
On the hunt for...
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

blue is rough bad color choice. gray or black would be way better. even the translucent g10 of the leafstorm might blend better. besides that awesome!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This knife doesn't really appeal to me that much, but I do like the worn look of the prototype. I don't like the blue spacer at all, the proto spacer looks much better, and more interesting, IMO.

mattman, there are other designs with the lock cutout on the outside of the scale. The Leaf Storm is one, also the Chris Reeve Mnandi.
:bug-red-white
mattman

Post by mattman »

thanks, gbellah, I knew it didn't look TOTALLY new to me...

Any clue on the reason for the "outside" cut for the lock relief?
DeathBySnooSnoo

I'm also not digging the wire clip...I know that a lot of people like them, but I really don't think that it looks at all good on the Techno. It needs something more like the prototype clip.

I think that more knives need clips made especially for the knife rather than the same old hourglass or wire clip. Look at the Valloton, and the Techno...both amazing looking knives that are brought down by the clips.

I am still really excited by the Techno, but I hope that for production it goes back to the prototype, I even like the pivot screw on the prototype better.
On the hunt for...
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Brass backspacer...
sal

Post by sal »

The backspacer on our original prototype made by the maker had a blue backspacer just like the one we made. The sample that Piter is showing here is not the same as the one he brought to us last year.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Hey Sal any word on the steel?

And sort of a overall comment rather than on any one feature, the newest pics make it look "soft" too clean and fresh looking, I think that a lot of us liked that rough and tough look that the Amsterdam proto had.
On the hunt for...
kiwispyder

Post by kiwispyder »

Was really looking forward to this knife until I saw the wire clip.
The other 2 screw clip suits the knife so well.
Oh well can't win 'em all huh. :(
The look of it has also changed as said above 'to clean'
KNew it was to good to be true.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Blue spacer have a strange look i don't like it. Wire clip is not so bad.
Senate

Post by Senate »

instant favorite!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Senate wrote:instant favorite!
Yup, for me as well!
It's pretty easy to get that "well-worn" look,...carry it and it will take care of itself.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

I'll take 3 of 'em.
Charlie
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

mattman wrote:I am surely following the evolution of this knife... but I must say, the beautifully subtle finish on the proto shown in the Amsterdam thread was the first things that drew me in. The clip change I'm good with, because while the other one was visually more appealing, the ambi wire one will likely be more useful...
+1

I also really liked the old used darker look of the A'dam custom proto.
Hope spyderco will also make the production techno with that same used look.

The original clip did not work.
It was to strong so i think the wire clip is a good update.
I like blue g10 but would also like orange for the spacer. :rolleyes:
I think it will be easy for some "pimpers" to make a new spacer from all sorts of material. So for the people that don't like blue there will be some aftermarket/custom spacers available from some of the well known knife pimpers :) .

And even if spyderco doesn't use the dark used finish i will just sand/scotchbrite it myself to give it the used look.

I want one.
JT

Post by JT »

I dig it, although the lock is not the most lefty friendly I suppose..and I still don't like wire clips. But THANKS Sal for making it with ambi clip! (When I saw the proto-pics earlier, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't .)

just imho;
Looks, the "rougher" surface of the proto looks better to me too.
backspacer, change it. Anything more subtle and not so cheap-looking, as said before. Why not just ti like the frame.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Despite the backspacer... I still really like this knife. I am hoping to see some in-hand pics of it, and for the people who don't like the backspacer too much, you could probably get a custom knifemaker to make you a nice, new one out of various materials. Is there an ETA on this?
kawr

Post by kawr »

I think the Techno looks stunning. Wire clip suits the ti scales perfectly and it is easily one of my favorite clips. The blue backspacer looks fine to me and gives it a nice contrast from the rest of knife which is all one color. Kinda like how the sebenza has blue barrel spacers and thumbstuds to give it some contrasting color. Overall a beautiful knife imo and I'm much more curious to know what this is going to cost me so I can stop alcohol consumption and save that money up :D .
DeathBySnooSnoo

I was looking more closely at the pics of the Techno, and even the jimping on the new one is smoothed out. I really am beginning to think that they are going the wrong direction on this one.

In my opinion everything (except the blue spacer which should just be Ti) on the prototype was better than the new version.
On the hunt for...
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

This is a very nice looking piece! However, if the production is not already set, I'd also suggest swapping the Smurf spacer to something else. If blue's the word, then a very dark one would be preferable, but the Micarta proto on Bladeforums would get a much higher score in my books. Also, as JT, the rougher pattern stone wash would please my eye better - maybe it's a Finn thing?
phaust

Post by phaust »

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the blue backspacer. Titanium framelocks are always a bit boring to look at, but the bright blue adds a little flare to the knife. Going with a metal backspacer would just be boring.
mattman wrote:I am surely following the evolution of this knife... but I must say, the beautifully subtle finish on the proto shown in the Amsterdam thread was the first things that drew me in. The clip change I'm good with, because while the other one was visually more appealing, the ambi wire one will likely be more useful... I would also like to hear some theory on the lock cut-out being on the outside of the scale... I haven't noticed that anywhere before, but maybe I'm not that observant. Is that a common practice? I haven't decided on the spacer yet, as I love that color of blue, but it seems to conflict with the inherent subtlety of the finish on the Amsterdam prototype that was so deceptively eye-catching.

In the end, I'm sure I'll be getting one of these, but I may have to contact Mr. Slysz, and arrange to purchase my first custom, as well.
Lots of knives have the cutout on the outside--Hinderers, Striders, Kershaws, Benchmade. I would not say it is uncommon.