PM2 Digi Black blade vs Black blade PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmbspyder

PM2 Digi Black blade vs Black blade PM2

Post by pmbspyder »

Confusing title, my apologies. I just noticed that the black dlc coating on my pm2 digi black is much darker and flatter than on my blacked out pm2. As other threads have stated, the coating on that one was almost a coppery, reflective color. Not sure if it was a mistake, but I've also noticed all of the other pm2s in stock at the dealers but the all black one.

This leads me to believe that the first batch of all black pm2s were sent out with a defective dlc coating. Could this be true? if it is, would Spyderco offer a replacement/free coating if returned to the warranty dept?

I thought everyone was just making a big deal over nothing, but when i compared the 2 black blades, there is a WORLD of difference. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Attachments
PM2 beauties.jpg
PM2 beauties.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I'm pretty curious about this as well. I've been holding off on buyinh the all black model until I hear something, but getting anxious :)
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

does anyone have any info on this?

shot in the dark...Sal or TazKristi?

Thanks -
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Sorry guys, going to bump this to the top one more time to see if I can get any replies. Seeing as it's the beginning of the week I hope it gets more hits than on Sunday. Any info/comments would be great. I promise I'll let it die if it gets passed over again!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Maybe it's just the light reflecting off those bright shiny screws.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

SteelDragon wrote:Maybe it's just the light reflecting off those bright shiny screws.
hahaha agreed. very interesting decision to not black out the hardware...
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

As you use the knives more, the DLC will become more flat. They will wear at their own pace.

Ive had a few DLC coated knives that the colouration was slightly different.

Once you scratch the crap out of the blades, it won't matter too much.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

my black para2 didn't come with that lighter color coating. That said I buy knives to use them, not to keep in a safe or complain about them being pretty, so I want the DLC to protect the blade from corrosion mostly. While it is lighter, its not exactly super bright now is it? As long as the hardness, adhesion, thickness, and surface friction of the DLC have not been negatively affected I'd say its not worth worrying about..... unless of course your knives are safe queens.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

hunterseeker5 wrote:my black para2 didn't come with that lighter color coating. That said I buy knives to use them, not to keep in a safe or complain about them being pretty, so I want the DLC to protect the blade from corrosion mostly. While it is lighter, its not exactly super bright now is it? As long as the hardness, adhesion, thickness, and surface friction of the DLC have not been negatively affected I'd say its not worth worrying about..... unless of course your knives are safe queens.
Unfortunately the DLC coating with not protect the blade from corrosion at all.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Unfortunately the DLC coating with not protect the blade from corrosion at all.
Really? Thats news to me. The literature I've seen suggests otherwise. Just as one example:
http://www.archivesmse.org/vol28_5/2856.pdf
If someone has something more conclusive please by all means offer it up, but my understanding always was that DLC existed to increase the corrosion resistance and abrasion resistance of the blade surface.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

hunterseeker5 wrote:my black para2 didn't come with that lighter color coating. That said I buy knives to use them, not to keep in a safe or complain about them being pretty, so I want the DLC to protect the blade from corrosion mostly. While it is lighter, its not exactly super bright now is it? As long as the hardness, adhesion, thickness, and surface friction of the DLC have not been negatively affected I'd say its not worth worrying about..... unless of course your knives are safe queens.
haha, almost sounds like some sort of accusation! no, no safe queens for me. I just have certain expectations when i wait for a very long time and spend a decent amount of money to buy a product. will i beat them up eventually? Yes. do I expect them to come out of the box in factory form? Yes.

That being said, the reason i brought it up was because i heard many rumblings around the forum about the blade, and when i got my second dlc i really noticed it.

btw, as many other forumites can attest to, there's nothing wrong with safe queens...

you sound pretty agitated? rough day?
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

hunterseeker5 wrote:Really? Thats news to me. The literature I've seen suggests otherwise. Just as one example:
http://www.archivesmse.org/vol28_5/2856.pdf
If someone has something more conclusive please by all means offer it up, but my understanding always was that DLC existed to increase the corrosion resistance and abrasion resistance of the blade surface.
The primary role is light discipline, not corrosion resistance.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

you sound pretty agitated? rough day?
No I suffer from a chronic condition officially diagnosed as "being an *******." Your complaints just struck me as a bit superficial, thats all. Its my understanding that DLC can be applied in a variety of colors, and is probably a pretty sensitive process. All that said my biggest complaint with DLC is how high its friction coefficient is; my fix is to coat the blade in paste wax. Do be aware though that DLC is so hard it can pick up metal from something you may be cutting giving the appearance of wearing through, but in fact not. *shrug* I don't suppose you've been cutting copper metals with that knife have you? ;)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

SteelDragon wrote:The primary role is light discipline, not corrosion resistance.
This was always my understanding as well. Don't wanna get picked off by a sniper while I am opening my mail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>