very noticeable scratch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

very noticeable scratch

Post by Popsickle »

ok so i bought an s90v paramili2 on ebay, beautiful knife except the guy said NIB yet there is several very noticable scratches on the blade underneath the hole in the blade. should i be happy that i found one for 250 and just use it for EDC(because it is a GREAT KNIFE) or should i write the guy an email asking about it? keep in mind it came from a VERY reputable ebay seller who just happened to send business cards attached from a pretty reputable knife store.

insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The scratch doesn't look noticable IMO, plus knives are meant to be used.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

insaneinmate wrote:Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The scratch doesn't look noticable IMO, plus knives are meant to be used.
agreed

my original intent was to purchase it for collection and buy a g10 model para2 for use. but i just cant keep my hands off the carbon fiber
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would use it
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

I would not worry about it if the blade is centered and unsharpened and opens smoothly.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

VashHash wrote:I would use it
+1

I also doubt he has another one with which you can exchange it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I agree with that jay. Besides you need to use S90V to appreciate it all steels look the same. Why pay so much for something you wont fully appreciate
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

my first initial worry was sharpening and ruining the blade but i have my endura and delica for practice... sharp maker is on the way. as always you guys have helped me decide(im very indecisive). thank you:-D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Congratulations on a great knife! I'd use it and not worry about the scratches.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Technically, a knife can be new in the box and not be mint. Technically...and a knife could be mint in the box and not new.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

well you answered your own question basically,. you got the knife as a collectors piece and its not in new pristine condition, you likely wouldnt be able to resell it as new or without defect. if it were me id send it back for a refund. or ask for a discount as its a user not a collector.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

S90V from what I've read is a really special steel, if it were me I would get it really sharp, use and enjoy, but then I'm not a collector...
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
cckw

Post by cckw »

I think it is important to be objective and fair. if you bought it from a dealer you have the expectation to be able to return it for any reason within a reasonable time. There is no reasonable expectation that he would have known this so no reason to fault him. I wouldn't even contact him on it.

At $250 I would not return it you would be out shipping both ways. sell it on a forum with a for sale section, show the scratch and price it at what you paid plus postage then round up so you can say you made a profit.... Or keep it in your collection, until you fins a perfect one then sell this one at somewhere in between the two prices... or just use it and feel fortunate you got one at $250
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Sorry, missed the price in the original post. At $250, I'd forget about it and not even think about looking back.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

S90V is notoriously hard to machine as well. It might have been a machining error caused by grinding the melted areas from the laser cut for the SpyderHole during the last of the finishing for the blade.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

im always amazed at the number of apologists that come out of the woodwork on these issues. its obvious that this is a disturbing fault in what most people would consider to be a very very expensive knife. If thats not the case then why would the op of bothered posting? all i can say from past experience is that if it bothers you now it will always remain as something about this knife that bothers you. Add to the fact you bought it as a collector not a user and your out the difference between what a used one would cost you vs a premium new collectable. not even mentioning the difference in a standard s30v model which will cut just as well and less worry about scratching. if it was a standard model and came with minor scratches intended to be a user anyway , i could understand the recommendations to just forget it and use it. imo your getting bad advice from people who dont pay your bills.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

bada61265 wrote:im always amazed at the number of apologists that come out of the woodwork on these issues. its obvious that this is a disturbing fault in what most people would consider to be a very very expensive knife. If thats not the case then why would the op of bothered posting? all i can say from past experience is that if it bothers you now it will always remain as something about this knife that bothers you. Add to the fact you bought it as a collector not a user and your out the difference between what a used one would cost you vs a premium new collectable. not even mentioning the difference in a standard s30v model which will cut just as well and less worry about scratching. if it was a standard model and came with minor scratches intended to be a user anyway , i could understand the recommendations to just forget it and use it. imo your getting bad advice from people who dont pay your bills.
I don't think it's a matter of being apologists. That particular model is not easy to find, especially at the price the OP paid for it. If I bought that knife, it is to appreciate the steel that it is made with(steel guy here). If I buy one of those, it is because I want the performance of the steel.

So the fact that I would use it and not worry about the scratches is a personal opinion based on what I would do if I were in the OP's shoes.
Slash

Post by Slash »

3000 grit or higher sandpaper...it's up to you.

buffing wheel and compounds. black and then white.

now you have and nice and shiny blade that you can store and resell for another day?

OR just use the **** thing...IT'S A KNIFE not a Micheal Angelo painting.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would ask him about it, but let him know that you're happy with the knife.

S90V isn't easy to scratch, so I'm thinking the owner would know how it got scratched. You can tell him that you just want to know if there is something wrong that you should be concerned about or something you need to take action on for warranty.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

psychophipps wrote:S90V is notoriously hard to machine as well. It might have been a machining error caused by grinding the melted areas from the laser cut for the SpyderHole during the last of the finishing for the blade.
If this was a blemish caused during manufacturing, I don't think Spyderco's quality control would allow this one through to be sold. This one would likely end up at the factory seconds sale this November for $25.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>