Which Sage is Best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgulbra

Which Sage is Best?

Post by dgulbra »

I am in the market for a Sage and am wondering which one do you guys prefer for general edc and utility use,
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Best for what?

All good just different. ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I don't think there is a good answer for that question. I would say buy whichever one you like best.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

dgulbra wrote:I am in the market for a Sage and am wondering which one do you guys prefer.
The above posters are correct. All good, just different and it's more important which one you like the best. But since you asked which one we prefer I'd have to say, for carry I like the Sage 2. For looks the Sage 1. I only say that because I'm left handed and that means the "face" of the Sage 2 shows the lock. Otherwise it would be a tie since I really like the look of Ti scales.

I don't have a 3 yet. But I don't care for the color that much and it looks kind of plain to me.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I'm about to get a Sage 2...it will complete my Sage collection. After getting the Chokwe, I've fallen in love with the Ti Reeve integral Lock, so I expect to really dig the Sage 2. As already stated, they each have their own charm. The Sage 1 is a fantastic gentleman's knife or general EDC, and an amazing value. The Sage 3 is definitely more heavy duty, still great for EDC, but more "tactical" and built for pure functionality.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

If I had to pick one of the three it would have to be the Sage 1. While I like all three versions so far, the first one still "thrills" me more than the other two and has stolen more pocket time from all my other Spydies. This opinion is coming from someone who has been in the Spyderco game since 1995.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I haven't experienced the Sage III but out of 1 and 2 I strongly preferred the Sage 2.
jldc

Post by jldc »

I like the Sage 1 a little bit more than the 2 and tons more than the 3.

L
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Sage 3 is by far my favorite. But, they all work about the same for EDC.
:bug-red-white
xtal

Post by xtal »

I've only owned the Sage 1 and 2, and prefer the 1. I was very surprised, I expected that the 2 would win out. The CF scales really do it for me, and the 1 is much smoother in my hands than the 2.
ToXicFrOgXx

Post by ToXicFrOgXx »

All 3 of the Sage's have their own pros and cons. I had the choice to pick between a 1 and 3 and ended up going with the 1 becuase I will be using it in such a way that I need the likners on the inside and the strength of the carbon fiber scales. Figure out what you will be doing with the knife. Then make you decision on the materials that the version you are interested in is made of. :)
ToXicFrOg
My spderco's include: Full Spyder Edge Cricket (Stainless), Combo Edge Delica 4 (Bi-Directional Grip), Sage 1 (Carbon Fiber), Manix 2 (G-10). :)
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

The Sage 4 of course :D
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

In a more serious matter, Id have to agree that the Sage 1 is my personal favorite. I really like the carbonfiber and the feel and look of it over the other ones. Plus, it was my first Spyderco knife.
amar

Post by amar »

Sage 2 is the most "open design" folder of the three. I prefer it more for pocket carry, since it is easy to clean the lint that invariably gets in there, so maintenance is less. Sage 1 has beautiful CF scales. I personally did not like the scale colors on the 3.

Utility wise, I'd say all are same - so pick up whatever you like the most, and its a lovely knife to own and show-off too. :-)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All three are excellent, well built, knives. Each is attractive in its own right. Steel, blade grind, and handle shapes are identical, or close to it. None has a huge advantage over the others, even for left handed users, since the Sage I and II are about as lefty friendly as right handed locks can get.

Sage III is totally hand-neutral and the only one of the three with a closed back, Sage II the most open, Sage I the lightest. Although the handle design provides a solid grip regardless of materials, the Sage III's handle does offer the most traction while the Sage II's offers the least. Sage II is the most expensive, Sage I the least.

So it comes down to a question of what you find most appealing and/or which handle material you find most attractive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

The 3 is by far my favorite. I love g10, and being a lefty, the ambidextrous lock is very handy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Though similar, they really are three completely different knives when you lay out all the details. It's really an apples to oranges comparison so it's not really about which is best, it's more like which knife has the features you want the most.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
unit

Post by unit »

All reports indicate to me that all three are made to equally high standards and all three achieve remarkable fit, finish, and functionality.

Determining which is best for a particular individual is a function of that individual and not the knife.

Simply choose your top preference for lock type from the three designs offered thus far.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The first is the best!
Especially for your first Sage. It feels great in your hand, it's easy to open and close, and the carbon fiber is a real looker.

:D Of course I couldn't imagine myself without all three(**four I have two I's)

Good hunting.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Cnolan76

Post by Cnolan76 »

I don't have a Sage 2 or 3, but I absolutely love my Sage 1. My spider money is burning a hole in my pocket but I don't think I can get a knife as awesome as my Sage 1.