Best Sub-3" Outdoor Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Best Sub-3" Outdoor Spydie?

Post by Knifewing »

I've been carrying a Para 1 SE for a while as my preferred outdoor knife. But I've been doing more and more hiking in the S. CA region where 3" is the limit on folders, especially around the LA area. So I've been looking at my options (although I truly love the Para and don't necessarily mind a little cheating on the extra 3/32"). The Wegner Jr. (C-49) has some appeal, although I've heard that the larger version (C-48) is more ergonomically refined. And then there's the updated Oceleot, which is too big.

Which smaller Spyderco folder (below 3") do you think offers the most all-around outdoor versatility?
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

The basic delica, it is lightweight for hiking.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Rookie is pretty cool too. Smaller but 3" blade with a nice point.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

The Sage 3 is a very robust folder. At 3", it has a nice thick tip that won't break, a super strong (yet simple) lock, and nice grippy, high visibility blue G-10.

I agree the Delica is a good option as well, and the Native is one to consider too. Also, the Salt 1 could be good, and if you're mostly just trimming branches and stuff, the Tasman Salt or Saver salt/Rescue JR in SE would be great.

Also, the Persistence could be a good outdoor folder, as it's so affordable you definitely won't be afraid to use it hard.

PS-Snap-it and Remote release are worth considering if you want to clip it to a backpack, vest, etc
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

Hard to bet against the Delica. It is lightweight as mentioned, relatively inexpensive, and available in lots of options. I think of it as sort of the "Standard Reference Spyderco".

Sage lacks a lanyard hole if you care about that. Native III is listed in the catalog as 3 1/16", but the upcoming Native V is listed as 3".

Terzuola looks nice but no lock. I would love that knife plus lock and minus swedge.

If you'd consider Byrd, then the Meadowlark 2 is a pretty nice knife, and you won't cry if you lose it.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Good suggestions above; I particularly agree with the Sage. The new Native 5 and the new Chaparral look great as well. UKPK?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i think the upcoming H1 dragonfly will become a favorite.

when i go hiking lately, i tend to bring along an aqua salt, and an H1 spyderhawk and/or pacific. when i go ultra lightweight, i bring along an H1 SE ladybug. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Another option, if you like the PM1 but need something under 3", would be to simply get another one an have someone trim the blade by 1/8" to make it 2 31/32".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

In 3'' or under I would take a Salt 1 or a Tasman Salt. If over 3 I would take a Mariner
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'd go with the S30V Lil' Temp as the best because when you only have 3" it's nice to have a full 3" edge. And for outdoor use the big ergonomic handle is a plus. Don't get the 440V LT as it is 3 1/8".

I almost always carry the LT when in 3" territory.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and responses. These are all great suggestions.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The C49 Wegner Jr. in my own hands feels just like a scaled down C48, though I know :spyder: doesn't simply shrink designs.

The Rookie is very nice too. Another suggestion would be a Caly 3.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Knifewing wrote:I've been carrying a Para 1 SE for a while as my preferred outdoor knife. But I've been doing more and more hiking in the S. CA region where 3" is the limit on folders, especially around the LA area. So I've been looking at my options (although I truly love the Para and don't necessarily mind a little cheating on the extra 3/32"). The Wegner Jr. (C-49) has some appeal, although I've heard that the larger version (C-48) is more ergonomically refined. And then there's the updated Oceleot, which is too big.

Which smaller Spyderco folder (below 3") do you think offers the most all-around outdoor versatility?
Does the 3" rule include hiking/camping type knives? That sounds kind of strict which isn't too surprising these days.

The Deacon wrote:Another option, if you like the PM1 but need something under 3", would be to simply get another one an have someone trim the blade by 1/8" to make it 2 31/32".
I like the Deacon's solution. It takes a while but I've actually sharpened blades so much that they are now 1/8" to 3/16" shorter than when I first got them. The extensive sharpening occurred in the past 3 years when I was asking questions, experimenting and learning tons about sharpening. My Michael Walker is 1/8" shorter because it took me so long to be able to get a good edge on ZDP-189. Now I have no problem and my blades are happier. :)
If you were willing to take the time and have coarse stones that would keep you from sending your knife to someone. The PM1 really looks like a great knife.

Jack
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

You might check your local laws... a lot of jurisdictions have exceptions to normal blade length restrictions for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, etc. etc. You might have more options than you think. If that is not the case, I'd throw another vote towards the Rookie if you can get your hands on one... still quite a few out there... or the Delica. Spyderco certainly has quite a few options in the sub 3 in. category... you are really only limited by how much you can pay (which, in my mind equates directly to how bad I'll feel if I leave the knife next to a stream out in the boonies).
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

If you don't feel like going with Deacon's great idea, may I suggest the frn native or one of the salt series...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I love my delica but I want more handle for hunting/camping/outdoor knives. I would check out the sage line because I can get a full grip because of the choil.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

.357 mag wrote:I love my delica but I want more handle for hunting/camping/outdoor knives. I would check out the sage line because I can get a full grip because of the choil.
I have the "need more handle" feeling even for office type EDC knives sometimes. Has anyone ever made a knife like a 3" (or even 2.5") blade on a Stretch handle? It might be goofy looking but isnt' that one of Spyderco's trademarks (goofy looking knives)? :) Well Spyderfolks, here's another chance to live up to your reputation. :D Also, it would be legal almost everywhere and still have that full sized handle feel for those tasks that require a firmer grip.

Jack
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

.357 mag wrote:I love my delica but I want more handle for hunting/camping/outdoor knives. I would check out the sage line because I can get a full grip because of the choil.
I like choils, but they are not that comfortable for me when working with wood in the outdoors, another reason why I like the delica when outdoors