How are you liking the Blackie Collins Bolt Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

How are you liking the Blackie Collins Bolt Lock?

Post by catamount »

Those of you that have a Sage 3, what do you think of the lock? Would you like to see it on other models?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll take a midlock over it any day but I do find it somewhat easier to operate than the caged ball lock, and much easier to operate than the regular ball lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would take one in a heartbeat, but I would like to see the button changed over to a ramped type release like Blackie's earlier designs. It would be easier to operate for those with less nimble fingers than I.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

I didn't have any of the problems other users initially reported with it. I guess I like it ok and wouldn't mind if other knives are made with it. That said, there are a number of locks I prefer over it.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

araneae wrote:I would take one in a heartbeat, but I would like to see the button changed over to a ramped type release like Blackie's earlier designs. It would be easier to operate for those with less nimble fingers than I.
Absolutly, I agree.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I like it on this knife, so I love it on the Sage 3.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'm liking it a lot. It was initially a little sticky, but has loosened up very nicely. I doubt the bolt will ever retract quite as smoothly as the ball in the BBL/CBBL knives, but the bolt action works very nicely. The little "nubs" might be just a tad less pointy, but it's not a big deal. ;)

Apart from the lock, I continue to like the Sage series. It's a great knife design, very well executed by the maker from excellent materials. The series concept is a great concept and the linked donation is for a great cause. Nothing not to like...
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

Mine seems smoother than all but one of of my Manix 2s (I have 11 of them.)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My Sage 3 was silky smooth out of the box. A bit easier to operate than the caged ball lock. I like how quiet it is too. Just a quiet, little snick when it locks open.

I wouldn't mind seeing other models with this lock.
:bug-red-white
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

I like the lock. A lot. Light, strong, ambi, very smooth. Hard not to like that.
samtheman773

Post by samtheman773 »

I know everyone on here seems to love it, but Im not a huge fan. It is more difficult for me to get my fingers around and depress than the ball bearing lock. It might just be a break in period, but I like the manix 2 a bit better
SUBSCRIBE!!!
youtube.com/samtheman773
vicbastige

Post by vicbastige »

Love mine! One handed open and close is a breeze! I think the Sage III may be my favorite Spydie yet.
JacksonKnives

Bolt lock VS C/BBL VS Axis

Post by JacksonKnives »

Been playing around with the Bolt, BB, CBBL and (painful, but instructive) Axis locks the last couple of weeks.

The Axis is by far the easiest to manipulate with only my thumb. All the other locks require compression of a coil spring, while the axis uses a much larger arc, more like a leaf spring (one on each thumb stud so the action is even).

The Collins lock seems to involve by far the most lock travel of the bunch. (The Axis probably moves a bit further, but there's less mass to move.) Strangely enough, I think it's also the most "solid" feeling of all the locks; the bolt is supported by all kinds of steel posts and pins and springs and kitchen sinks and things that they've managed to cram in there. I've become convinced that the increased travel actually gives a big advantage in terms of feel--the lock has support through the entire range of operation, and the spring force doesn't need to be as high in order to keep the lock from accidentally disengaging.

The biggest advantage to the BBL/CBBL design, as I understand it, is that wear will have almost no effect on the lockup. The knife should feel just as solid in 100 years as it does when it leaves the factory. The CBBL in my Manix 2 uses a much stronger spring than the ones in my Dodo and D'Allara, though, and I've got to admit that it's my least favourite of all the locks. That said, now that I'm used to the feel of the spring and the ramps of the "cage" (and since any of these locks feels much, much better with thumb+forefinger manipulation) I'm just as confident with the CBBL as with any of the other locks. (It's also much easier to manipulate with gloves on, maybe even moreso than the Axis.)

I think the CBBL could use some refinement, but on the whole I'm glad that it's the lock in the Manix 2. That said, the bolt lock (and its designer, and Spyderco's R&D team, and the engineers from Taichung) has earned my respect, and I'm a bit sad that this is probably the only place Spyderco will use it.
—Daniel Jackson
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

I love it!! Love the color and the amount of texture on the g10. I know it hurts a bit to use one finger/thumb to fully disengage, but I have overcome that, by using the tip, below the nail+nail- ish [just think of that general area] and press the side of the button down and works like a charm. And the action is so smooth, just like the manix 2's. So I have absolutely no complaints!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I love the Sage3, and I don't mind the lock, The only thing I dont like about the bolt action lock is the actuation levers. they look nice, but they're not very comfortable to use.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Gunslinger wrote:The only thing I dont like about the bolt action lock is the actuation levers. they look nice, but they're not very comfortable to use.
I agree. I don't really like how they are conical and pointy shaped. But other than that, I like it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I agree. I don't really like how they are conical and pointy shaped. But other than that, I like it.
user feedback sal craves! i bet he's listening. i bet if there is a next time the area will be softer, like a piece of soft rubber there to push back and forth maybe :)

-doesn't bother me much. i don't constantly open/close it so my callous will etc etc etc ;)
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I like mine now(after several weeks).
Mirroring what was said earlier in this thread, there are several lock types I like better.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I really like mine--it has a good combination of smoothness and ease of operation while still feeling solid. I love the all-steel construction of the locking device. The little textured on the steel knob makes it easy to operate for me. I can consistently operate the lock one-fingered, unlike the caged ball lock, which I have never even been able to get open once without using 2 fingers (I still like that lock, but it's nice to have the ease of operation).

Personally, I like having a variety of different locking devices, and they all have pro's and con's. For a more heavy-duty, utilitarian lock, I really like the Bolt Lock, and for me it's right up there with the CBL and Comp. Lock as far as a easy-to use one handed heavy duty locking device. Each has it's own charm and it's own limitations, but I think it's a cool addition to the Spyderco lineup, and a perfect use of the Sage series' original intent, to demonstrate and pay tribute to classic knife innovations.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

One of my favorite knives. Easiest opening knife I own hands down. I use my thumb and index finger to unlock it and think the spring tension is spot on. Fits my hand like it was made to order. Gets a lot of pocket time.