Suggest the perfect Spydie for me?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lemisanthrope

Suggest the perfect Spydie for me?

Post by lemisanthrope »

Howdy y'all
I'm kinda a knife neophyte...I don't have a huge collection or anything. I just want one good, reliable EDC.
I carried a Delica 4 FRN for a while until I lost it. I currently carry a Meerkat. I like to carry clipped onto my waist band, underneath my belt, and sometimes clipped in my pocket. The Meerkat is a little too thick to be comfortable. The Delica was very comfortable, though that FRN grip could sometimes rub me wrong. I still liked the FRN, but I like the G-10 handles too.

What I want:

1. THIN (more important than weight)
2. Short blade (prefer under 2.5")
3. I kinda like combo edges, but don't think I'll find one in this length.
4. Price is an issue
5. Would prefer to be able to carry point up

Basically, I wish Spyderco would list the width of the knife, and not just the length and weight. I have loved my Spydercos, but I'm open to suggestions of other quality brands as well (is that ok to say on these forums?)

Right now I'm leaning toward a Dragonfly.

Thanks y'all.
catamount

Post by catamount »

I think you are on the right track with the Dragonfly 2. The serrated version has enough plain edge at the tip that it may work for you.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I agree with the Dragonfly. As mentioned you can get it with serrations and it has a small bit of PE. I personally think that on a knife that size, just half a blade length of serrations is kind of impractical..of course as they say, different strokes for different folks. The Dragonfly is nice and compact, not thick in the handle at all. I have the G-10 version, and I love it. It is very classy looking and solid feeling. Due to cost, the D'Fly 2 is probably a better option, and lighter as well.

PS-for a tiny knife with CE, the Baby Goddard is just that. I still see some around for about $60. Let me know if you want me to refer you to where I see them in stock. Burgundy micarta=niiice. Wish the Goddards came in PE, I'd be all over one.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The ambitious?
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

the humble dragonfly!
Tank

Post by Tank »

Another vote for the dragonfly 2
-John
araneae

Post by araneae »

Definitely a dragonfly. Its a great little knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TBob

Post by TBob »

You might hold out for the coming Chaparral. The blade looks a tad longer than 2.5", but it should meet your other criteria and be very comfortable to carry IWB.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
TeddyBallGame

Post by TeddyBallGame »

I vote for the Dragonfly as well! My wife and I both use and carry it on occasion. I use it as an occasional backup and I really enjoy the light weight and ergonomics. It is a very dependable knife that is easy to keep an edge on and clean up!

Keep an eye out for the Man bug if/when it comes out will definitely take the cake based upon what you are looking for--mark my words.
Never Break Team, Never Break Stride!
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

If you can go a bit bigger with the blade, the Centofante 3 is nice.

It sounds kind of like a Kershaw Leek or Al Mar Hawk would fit your criteria better, though.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Dragonfly would be the best bang for the buck with those requirements. :)
Other options would be the Cricket (very thin),
or maybe an Urban (slipjoint and a little more expensive).
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

The Dragonfly 2 fits all your requirements.
And you might all so want to check out the Spins...
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Here is a spin
Top two are Spin's and the bottom one is a Cricket
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

TBob wrote:You might hold out for the coming Chaparral.
With carbon fiber as the handle material, this one is likely to be too pricey as he stated that money IS an issue here. :D :D
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
lemisanthrope

Post by lemisanthrope »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I can find the Dragonfly2 for $45, I'll probably go with that as soon as I can scrape the dollars together, as it meets my daily needs pretty well. Then I'll start saving for a larger blade for the days when I want a little more boomstick.
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

Dragonfly 2 in FRN for the win.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

The Rookie is quite thin as well.
Come Join Us Click Here
lemisanthrope

Post by lemisanthrope »

bohica1998 wrote:With carbon fiber as the handle material, this one is likely to be too pricey as he stated that money IS an issue here. :D :D
On this note...what is the appeal of the carbon fiber handle? Strength/integrity? My buddy has a Spyderco with CF handle, and I don't care for it, mostly due to the lack of grip. Too slippery for my oafish, sweaty hands. I would much prefer a G-10 handle on a knife, though I admit the CF's are pretty.
TBob

Post by TBob »

lemisanthrope wrote:On this note...what is the appeal of the carbon fiber handle? Strength/integrity? My buddy has a Spyderco with CF handle, and I don't care for it, mostly due to the lack of grip. Too slippery for my oafish, sweaty hands. I would much prefer a G-10 handle on a knife, though I admit the CF's are pretty.
Depends on the CF finish. Peel-ply has great grip. CF is light, tough, attractive, and resists wear. I've also found it easy on my clothes. It's my favorite handle/scale material by far.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

lemisanthrope wrote:On this note...what is the appeal of the carbon fiber handle? Strength/integrity? My buddy has a Spyderco with CF handle, and I don't care for it, mostly due to the lack of grip. Too slippery for my oafish, sweaty hands. I would much prefer a G-10 handle on a knife, though I admit the CF's are pretty.
Honestly, for me, there is none. The only one I had, I resold fairly quickly. As far as I am concerned (although this could change) the only thing CF does is drive the price of a knife I like up to a price I don't wish to pay. Example:

I like the Harpy, but SS is too slippery for me to hold on to when it gets wet/slick from sweat, etc. (Arthritis in the hands)

I got one of the CF Harpys, pretty to look at, but pretty much the same deal in regards to grip.

I have several Merlins with the FRN handles, good grip, but a little too light.

Finally, at the suggestion of another member, I got a G-10 Harpy. Perfect from my point of view! Grippy with enough weight to back it up, so to speak!

I really don't know about the other variations of CF handles but there are some that have a better grip to them (I have been told). They may be better in that regard, I don't know.

I prefer knives that can be used, but I don't need one that is double or triple the price, just because of the material used (ie, CF handle, titanium, etc) to make it. i am not saying there is anything wrong with the ones that are made that way, just that they have no appeal to me. YMMV :D :) :D
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE