Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

:spyder: Thanks for the pics. Keep 'em comin
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

SmoothOne25 wrote:maybe its not cool to show them yet.
Spyderco's are like pieces of functional art, and you guys should well know an artist doesn't want to show un-finished pieces. ;)
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for posting these. The Native 5, Manix FRN, and the Chaparral all are going to be on my list. So much for 2011 not being an expensive year.
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

Thank you for the excellent report and pics!

I'll take one each...

The Dragonfly 2 H1 was really a nice surprise. Guess I'll have to have one of those, too :)
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Depending on price point, my guess is that the Chapparal is going to be the runaway success of the year. Better make a lot of them.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I have to agree about the Chapparal. I bet a lot of those will get sold. I'm liking that Manix 2 as well. Will be interesting to see how light it really is compared to the normal one.

I'm not into knives for sd but the Yojimbo 2 has an edc look to it that it would seem to get along just fine with normal cutting tasks.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Recap of the day at work today... daydreaming the whole day thinking about the yojimbo 2 and the awesome pictures from yesterday. Not to mention thinking about the new pictures to come. Totally refrained from looking at this thread on my phone today so I could save it for when I came home. Thanks so much for the pictures and for goodness sakes keep them coming.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Does anyone notice any similarities between the Native 5 and the Chaparral?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I hope that Natives are as good as your pictures. I need to start saving $$$$$$. I need both and Balance.
Navaja?????
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

WOW ! Really looking forward to the H1 Dragonfly. Also on my wish list is the Chaparal and G10 Native. Now the question is when will they be available ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Perry wrote:Does anyone notice any similarities between the Native 5 and the Chaparral?
Yes. Although the original description was a smaller Sage, the profile of the Chaparral is at least as reminiscent of the Native.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Chibbi

Post by Chibbi »

Some feedback on the ones allready revealed:

- Des Horn: very light weight, slim profile and will make for a good slicer, a bit too smooth to my liking, but it's a gentlemen's folder afterall,,, does look attractive, but not for me,,, not designed for hard-use,,,

- Yojimbo 2: very comfortable to hold, not an expert on Martial BladeCraft, but feels like it will perform excellent in that function, never held the original, so I can't compare, but this one seems sturdier to me for some reason,,, felt really solid anyway,,,

- Balance SS: this will make for the ultimate box opener imho, hopefully it will be around the pricepoint of the Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper,,, lots of people liked the original, but found it too expensive due to the high-end materials used,,, if priced low, this will sell like hot cakes !

- Native 5 G-10: a real surprise for me, the ergo's are phenomenal on this one, I never considered the original Native 'cause of the blade grind seemed too tactical for me and my sheeple surroundings,,, the full flat grind seems more akin to a regular EDC blade,,, the previous version with a full flat blade had too smooth CF handles imho, so I wasn't interested in that one either,,, this latest version is close to perfect !

- Native 5 Fluted Ti: Perfection ! WANT !!!

- Chaparral: for those wanting a smaller version of the Sage, voila,,, ergo's are very good aswell on this one and it's not at all intimidating, so sheeple-friendly,,, is it me or is the finish on all the Taiwan made knives very, very good ?!? I predict this will be a best-seller,,,

- DragonFly H1: other then the steel which will not rust and the hollow grind (a must when working with H1 steel according to Mr. Glesser), I don't think there's much difference in feel compared to the current light-weight DragonFly,,,

- Manix 2 Light-Weight: feels well balanced in spite of its light weight and it really doesn't weigh much at all compared to the original Manix 2, feels very sturdy and doesn't budge when squeezed hard,,, ergo's are excellent as on the original Manix 2,,,

I'd like to thank the Glesser family for their time and sharing of knowledge and the Dutch organizers for their superb efforts in making this meet a veritable succes,,, I enjoyed myself immensely !

Personal thanks to Mr. Glesser for signing my Kopa !
(I'm trying to find someone overhere who can make a scrimshaw of the signature, so it will keep)
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

Thanks so much for the thorough report and excellent pictures.
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

The Yojimbo 2 looks great. Not excited about the shiny pocket clip, though. I would prefer a wire clip or just a dark regular clip.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Awesome!!! This thread is an amazing daily treat to check! SS Balance looks great, I will definitely be getting one. H-1 D'Fly is impressive as well, I am pleasantly surprised by the super high grind! I wasn't excited by the thought of a hollow ground D'Fly, but it appears they executed it perfectly!

Can't wait to see more!!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Great thread ... still champing at the bit though to see that Squeak but I love the Manix FRN, the Chaparral, Native 5 & the H1 Dragonfly :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Wow... H1 dragonfly and the Yojimbo 2. What more could I ask for?
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Here are the professional photographers of the Minimeet ! :-D
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Some great stuff in this thread... great stuff
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Brad S. wrote:Some great stuff in this thread... great stuff
Can't wait to get a look at your new concept model! :) :)