Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaggedwebs

Post by jaggedwebs »

A few Squeak's. A Techno and a Yojimbo 2. Looks like this will be a good year.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Yojimbo 2's gonna be awesome. Looks more comfortable and durable than ever before with a 4-way clip :) .

With Mike at Spyderco it's gonna be an easy knife to promote. /thumbsup
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks guys for these videos!! Awesome, as usual. I have one question for Mr Blonde, you said you were not allowed to film the upcoming Lil temp2, but are you allowed to talk about it? to describe it, and compare it to the original in your own words?
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the lightweight manix 2 looks especially great. well done, eric! can't wait to get one!

these manix 2's are a real blast... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Wow! With all due respect to Sal and the rest of the Spyderco team, I think this year's line-up is the best that I have ever seen. Usually, I want a couple of the knives that I see. This year I want the majority of the knives. This a really impressive line-up.

I had pretty much settled on the knives that I "needed" for EDC, but this thread has presented a lot of new options.

Definitely Want List
  • Squeak - I'm most excited about this knife. It's a great featherweight knife. I could definitely see this becoming my EDC. I wonder if it includes the new forked backspring.
  • Chapparal - beautiful knife - a wonderful progression of the Calypso legacy. It has a wider "neck" at the choil more reminiscent of the Caly Jr, but it still sufficiently deep. I also really like the fact that it is S30V. I am only slightly more excited about the Squeak, but it's close to a tie.
  • Byrd Tern - this is the best-looking Byrd I've seen to date and the first one I've really considered buying.
  • Dragonfly 2 H1: this makes me glad I didn't pull the trigger on an H1 Jester. I love the wire clip, too.
  • Junior: this is a fascinating knife. I can't wait to handle one.
  • Stainless Steel Balance: I'm not a fan of SS handles, but I think they actually look better on this knife. I'm not sure why.
Maybe List
  • Yojimbo 2 - I have no use for it, but I want it anyway.
  • Vallotton Folder - Too big and I have no use for it, but I want it anyway.
  • Szabo Folder - Way too big and I have no use for it, but I want it anyway.
  • Manbug - I'd be interested, but not with smurf blue handles.
  • Phil Wilson South Fork - Awesome knife, but I don't know that it would get enough use from me.
  • Puukko - Awesome knife, but I don't know that it would get enough use from me.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Manbug is supposed to come out in gray.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Any size specs on the Squeak yet? What's the handle measure?
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

Do we have the weight on the squeak
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I dunno but I don't really get the notion about grown men making a deal of whether a knife is 2 or 3 ounces. Would you be able to tell the difference when the knife is in the pocket?
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I dunno but I don't really get the notion about grown men making a deal of whether a knife is 2 or 3 ounces. Would you be able to tell the difference when the knife is in the pocket?
Not me because I believe in heavy folders. Some people however calculate their survival loadouts down to the gram. They may not notice it off the bat but perhaps after walking up hill for 2 days with a full kit that extra gram might nag on some minds.

I am happy with folders right up to 5 - 6 Oz. Give the market what it wants eh?
angusW

Post by angusW »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I dunno but I don't really get the notion about grown men making a deal of whether a knife is 2 or 3 ounces. Would you be able to tell the difference when the knife is in the pocket?
I carry a Manix 2 without even noticing it's there but when backpacking every ounce counts. May not seem like a lot but when you start adding up all those stray ounces they add up.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Armalite Native wrote:Not me because I believe in heavy folders. Some people however calculate their survival loadouts down to the gram. They may not notice it off the bat but perhaps after walking up hill for 2 days with a full kit that extra gram might nag on some minds.

I am happy with folders right up to 5 - 6 Oz. Give the market what it wants eh?

Well, I guess it makes good business sense to give people what they want. However, I kinda think that the people wanting a squeak are not the people who calculate survival loadouts for long hikes.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I prefer folders that are 5-6 oz. I like to feel the heft...although sure if I were carrying a pack full of gear for days on end I might want to give up some weight. But I can't see me doing that much.

On the other hand, I recently acquired a Native 4 and am really loving it a lot. Maybe still semi heavy for some, but compared to the M2, GB, C95...it's pretty light.
On the hunt for...
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

Suit pants are not made to hold heavy knife... so every once counts. I like the ladybug @.6 onces but the blade shape on the squeak is too cool.
mart

Post by mart »

Any word about a amsterdam meet in 2012
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Pekka's Puukko looks interesting...

I also like the spyderco pygmy warrior.