Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Butaangas

Post by Butaangas »

The chaparral is awesome. I like the ergo's and looks. The only thing I didn't like was the diffrent type of cutout on the mid-lock. Other than that, awesome knife!
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2011 Prototype – Dragonfly H1

Post by Mr Blonde »

A familiar face with a twist; the Dragonfly 2 in H1 Steel. I think it’s been about 20 years before the Dragonfly got an upgrade. Now we can look forward to a new variation with yellow scales and an H1 steel blade. Since H1 steel can´t be manufactured in a full flat grind, the D2 got a hollow ground blade. I must say I really dig the lines, beautiful. I like my H1 with teeth, so if an SE version comes out I´ll pick one up for sure.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Really loving the lines on the H1 Dfly2!
+1 to SE on this. Considering pretty much every Salt comes in SE, this should as well. :)

BTW, is the wire clip titanium or maybe H1?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The grind lines on the D-fly are gorgeous! So's the yellow handle.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2011 Prototype – Native 5 G10 and Fluted Titatium

Post by Mr Blonde »

Spyderco has been working on a new Native for quite some time. You could also say they never stopped working on the Native design. However, the Native 4 was a nice upgrade, including CF scales, but this fifth version seems beefier and more soldid in the hand. One design goal in this knife was to get the best possible back-lock with the closest and reliable tolerances.

I liked the G10 version, but I love the fluted titanium version! The pattern is stunning and grippy but not overly so. The pattern didn’t seem too sharp to me, but that was only after 5 minutes handling the knife. The scales are just as thick as on the G10 variation and the knife’s weight seemed the same as the G10 version. I’d be curious to see if thinner titanium handle scales would lower the weight a bit more. This one is going on the wishlist though, no questions asked. I’m a sucker for a cool handle pattern like this.

Peruna

Post by Peruna »

Oh holy crap, an H1 Dragonfly 2?!?!?!?!?!?

I will definitely be getting one of those. I love my D-fly 2. I carry it every day. I would love to have one in H1, just because.

I mean, I want a Yo2. I want a Chaparral. But an H1 D-fly2?!?!?!?

Awesome.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I don't own any of the native series -- the fluted ti model will be #1!

Post by 224477 »

The H1 D`fly is a pleasant surprise to me, thanks Wouter, keep them coming :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow that Ti Native is amazing looking. They have a real show stopper with that fluted Ti.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Is the fluted ti Native going to be a regular production model? It's really beautiful. G10 version is pretty sweet also. Is S35VN a superior steel to S30V?
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2011 Prototype – Manix 2 FRN

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Manix 2 FRN was shown last year with both a blue and a clear FRN handle. While the previous prototype would ‘ creak’ a bit when squeezed hard, this proto seemed perfectly solid to me. It’s a very light but still solid feeling knife. I love the blue color, but I do hope to also see a production version with the clear FRN that was shown last year. This proto even had that nice opening action of the regular production Manix. It looks finished to me, I’ll take two; one PE and one CE/SE.

Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Manix 2 FRN was shown last year with both a blue and a clear FRN handle. While the previous prototype would ‘ creak’ a bit when squeezed hard, this proto seemed perfectly solid to me. It’s a very light but still solid feeling knife. I love the blue color, but I do hope to also see a production version with the clear FRN that was shown last year. This proto even had that nice opening action of the regular production Manix. It looks finished to me, I’ll take two; one PE and one CE/SE.
Uuuuuhhh, I'll have to correct you on this, it's not FRN, its FRCP= Fiberglass Reinfoced Co-Polymer. :)
As mentioned in the 2011 catalog.

Though I have a feeling no one will ever learn the difference and it shall always be dubbed as the FRN Manix2... Poor knife, misunderstood from the very birth. :o
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Creepo wrote:Uuuuuhhh, I'll have to correct you on this, it's not FRN, its FRCP= Fiberglass Reinfoced Co-Polymer. :)
As mentioned in the 2011 catalog.

Though I have a feeling no one will ever learn the difference and it shall always be dubbed as the FRN Manix2... Poor knife, misunderstood from the very birth. :o
I know you're right, but I'm going by the tag that accompanied the prototype at the meet. Just to keep things consistent with the showing of this particular prototype. Do feel free to use the correct name for the material.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Some really pretty models this time. I wasn't thinking I wanted a H-1 Dragonfly, but it looks so pretty!

Thanks for the pictures and work, well done Wouter, I look forward to the rest.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Moaaaar!!
Lungbarrow

Post by Lungbarrow »

Aw, man... my wallet is whining. :D
Michael
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

That H1 Dragonfly looks like the perfect little companion for when I go on my annual visit to Florida.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Very neat, thanks for the pictures!
Lungbarrow

Post by Lungbarrow »

Mr Blonde wrote:I'm sorry, but the Manix 2 XL and Li'l Temp 2 were still concept models, so I won't post pics of those. They need more time in development before I can share those pictures. I do feel your pain though, especially about the Li'l Temp 2.
Wouter, can you give us any ideas how the LT2 compares to the original? :o
Michael
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

maybe its not cool to show them yet. or maybe spy said "hey wouter que paso" keep em waiting....