Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Post by Mr Blonde »

The meets seem to get better each year and this year was no exception and I got the pics to prove it ;) . I had a great time meeting the Spydercrew and fellow knifeknuts. There were so many concept models and prototypes; I actually had kind of a hard time keeping track of the various models. I did shoot pics of everyone, but for complete info I hope my fellow spyderknuts will chime in.

Today I’ll focus on two wharncliffe models of opposite ends of the spectrum. First up is the Des Horn Folder by …you guessed it, Des Horn; a South African custom knifemaker. This is a very slick little gent’s folder. The G10 handle is very lightweight and sports a very fine splinter-picker S30V wharncliffe blade. The tip down wireclip is a first for Spyderco.

I really liked how it handled. Even though the knife is aimed at right-handers, I had no trouble flicking it open with my left hand. This one is definitely ‘wish list’ material.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2011 Prototype – Yojimbo 2

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Yojimbo 2 is hefty and stout interpretation of the whanrcliffe folder. It’s light but felt very solid in the hand. I love the melted edges on the handle. I just thought that it’s almost a pity that I don’t have a real need for an MBC folder when Sal talked about how the Yojimbo 2 (as opposed to the Yojimbo 1) would also make a good EDC folder.

The G10 handle is shorter than the first Yojimbo, but still long enough for my hands. In the closed position I could still use the knife as an impact weapon. The opening action was fast and slick and my hand almost automatically slipped into Janich’s preferred grip with the thumb resting on the spine. I am curious why the divot hole was abandoned. The first Yojimbo had it and I liked that feature.

The blade seemed a bit thicker than on the Yojimbo 1, but this blade still seemed more than sharp enough to perform its task. Even though I kind of abandoned MBC knife for my personal EDC, I’m tempted to get this one.

Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Awesome stuff. Looking forward to more proto-pr0n. :D
What is the blade length on that amazingly sleek Des Horn? :cool:
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Oh man that polished G-10 on that Des Horn is super sexy! That's definitely going onto my wish list! Thanks for the pics Wouter!
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Creepo wrote:Awesome stuff. Looking forward to more proto-pr0n. :D
What is the blade length on that amazingly sleek Des Horn? :cool:
To me it seemed to be somewhere between 2,5 and 3 inches.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Did anyone snap a photo or two of the Squeak? :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Beauty and the Beast.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

ChrisR wrote:Did anyone snap a photo or two of the Squeak? :)
I have a feeling they'll be around sooner or later. :)
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

ChrisR wrote:Did anyone snap a photo or two of the Squeak? :)
give blonde time. he will keep us on our seats for days to come.... :rolleyes:
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

SmoothOne25 wrote:give blonde time. he will keep us on our seats for days to come.... :rolleyes:
I'm starting to get the shakes ... I dunno if I can hold on much longer :D There's been so few hints about the Squeak but it sounds like a really superb UK EDC so I am champing at the bit to see one or get my hands on one :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

ME TOO I LOVE SLIPITS (hence, every ukpk)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'll drool over the Horn, but I'll definitely buy the Yojimbo 2.

I drew up a design for a FB knife I was going to make with a friend who is a professional iron smith. It had a slightly elongated Lil' Temp handle and a Bewharned style blade.

I'm dying to get my hands on this knife. The only thing it needs to be perfect is dark green G-10.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

Thanks again for the pics, Mr Blonde. I always look forward to your Amsterdam Meet pics and impressions. The Yojimbo 2 looks like a must have.
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder:
TeddyBallGame

Post by TeddyBallGame »

That Yojimbo 2 felt great in my hands Loved the soft edges on each scale as it rolled over the sides. Weight and balance were surprisingly synergic. The blade is a great overall design and the size compliments combative movements and MBC. I cannot wait to have one in my collection.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That Des Horn looks like an absolute must have, thanks for the pictures. One minor correction, though. The MeerKat came with a tip down wire clip years ago, so this one isn't a first. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

SmoothOne25 wrote:give blonde time. he will keep us on our seats for days to come.... :rolleyes:
Indeed I will publish all models I can, it will take some time. Unfortunately, tomorrow I'll have to start my real job. But as soon as my shift is over, I'm going to get all pics and impressions online. Now it's time for me to get some sleep. :D
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Okay. That Yojimbo2 looks WAY better in picture compared to that other yt video. Its about time I found a gentleman's blade too! That Des Horn Folder is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

NOOOO, NO SLEEP 4 U :D thanks for posting these pics... Im really looking forward to the new Gayle Bradley pics, New Stretch pics and this mysterious polish titanium folder Im hearing about
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

Great......now the wait for the Yojimbo 2 is going to KILL me! Great pictures - Thanks!!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks Mr Blonde :)

Yojimbo kind of resembles a PPT blade shape with a different grind.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]