Girl in need of help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
klmccanna

Girl in need of help

Post by klmccanna »

I am looking for a knife that I can have in my pocket for work. I need to open lots of boxs and bags of stuff. I would like one on the cheeper side so if it gets banged up it is no big deal. Dose anyone have any thoughts? I like locking. I am right handed. Under $75 is a good price. I would like a clip as well.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Jester is good. It has a ramp on the tip of the blade that has grip ridges.

This gives you postive traction when cutting a box or bag.

Small enough to keep in your pocket or unwanted attention at the job.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Do you need a locking blade? Maybe a SS kiwi?

Or you could go with a ladybug...
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Something like an FRN Byrd Robin might be good.
:bug-red-white
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

Agree with Byrd Robin. It's about the same size as the Dragonfly I carry and often use for the same things. For something a little larger, the Byrd Hawkbill might be handy for bags and boxes.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Full flat ground Delica 4 is perfect for what you describe and cost is around $50 online. Plus it comes in several nice colors.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

We can't really give you an accurate answer since we don't know much about your personal preferences and such. I have a couple questions to help us give you suggestions:

Price range?
Cheap to us might be expensive to you.

Blade length?
Since you are a girl, probably something smaller. 3 inches? 2 inches?

Are you righty or lefty?
Not every knife is completely ambidextrous.

How would you like to carry?
Clipped to the pocket or without a clip?

Here's a video that might be of help:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iMvaGRPdRfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Well your best bet would be going to a surplus or any gun store near by and handling some knives I think something from the tenacious family should suit you, there cheap and have rep for being great beater's .
And welcome to the forum! :)
thewannabesurvivalist
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I worked a second job as a Barista for a few years. My knife of choice were a serrated Ladybug and a serrated Dragonfly. Many boxes died to those knives :)

I you do cardboard very infrequently I'd go plain edge.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Try a Dragonfly Tattoo.
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

The Delica was already mentioned, and I support the suggestion. Light and practical, completely in line with what you want.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I also recommend a FFG delica. I got the purple model and as a guy I really like it!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I would also say Delica - one of the best knives for the price, and most versitile. Large enough to get a full handled grip if needed, but small enough not to attract too much attention. About the right size for indoor work in my opinion.
EDCTAC

Post by EDCTAC »

Another vote for the delica ffg.
:spyder:My mind is the sharpest weapon I have, my spyderco is the second!;)
unit

Post by unit »

klmccanna wrote:I am looking for a knife that I can have in my pocket for work. I need to open lots of boxs and bags of stuff. I would like one on the cheeper side so if it gets banged up it is no big deal. Dose anyone have any thoughts? I like locking. I am right handed. Under $75 is a good price. I would like a clip as well.
I think I would have a hard look at the Endura/Delica/Dragonfly in FRN. They all fit your price range, will work great for what you describe, and as I see it, the primary difference between the three is size (pick the one you like best).

If you have the ability/desire to sharpen, VG-10 is fairly easy to sharpen (use the left over cash to start saving for a Sharpmaker).

If you do not see yourself sharpening and want an edge that will last a very long time with little to no maintenance, check out the Spyderedge Salt 1, or Spyderedge Pacific Salt (essentially the same thing as the Delica and Endura except a different steel that holds an AMAZING edge when serrated). They will open boxes with very little effort.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

+1 to Unit's post:

If you can or are willing to learn how to sharpen:
Dragonfly2, Delica4, Stretch, Endura4 in plain edge, just pick the size you want. :)

If you can't sharpen and don't want to learn:
Salt1 or Pacific Salt in serrated edge, these will hold a good edge longer.
You can also get the Dragonfly2, Delica4, Stretch, Endura4 in a serrated form if you want. ;)
alerin

Post by alerin »

Welcome, I think the Ambitious, Dragonfly 2 SE, and Delica would all serve you well.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Stainless steel dragonfly (my wife carries one)

Delica 4 FFG in a fun color.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'd say Delica or Dragonfly should do the trick...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

The Delica FFG is light, versatile, and sharp. But if you're only going to be opening boxes and bags, I'd recommend a serrated Tasman Salt or Spyderhawk. The hawkbill blade is especially suited to this task, and the serrations will make the edge last a long time before you have to sharpen. Oh, and it's completely rust proof for low maintenance. Titanium clip, too.