Spyderco meet Amsterdam 2011

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Spyderco meet Amsterdam 2011

Post by toomzz »

Just home, turned on the computer just to let you know I had great Amsterdam meet. I met the Glesser-family, very nice people indeed and would like thank them for this opportunity to meet and greet them. I had a great time talking with Sal's wife :rolleyes: The presentation of the new blades was for some blades a suprise. I was impressed by the Polish Techno-blade in 154cm and titanium. Kudos!

More reactions likely to come, thanks again for this great day.

Tomas
Tom
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Polish Techno-blade in 154cm and titanium
Now that's a professional level teaser.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DrSpeed

Post by DrSpeed »

Second that.
I liked the small Gayle Bradley a lot AND the Southfork (do I remember correctly?) fixed blade.
Endura VG-10 Delica ZDP-189 Paramilitary all black Military CPM S30V camo Perrin Street Bowie Tenacious Kiwi 3 Ladybug serrated Byrd Cara Cara G10 Byrd Cara Cara Rescue Byrd Meadowlark Caly 3.5 UKPK Pacific Salt UKPK Rescue
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

zee dodo?! :confused:
R@y

Post by R@y »

Best sunday ever! Much thanks to the Glesser-family for stopping by, also a big thanks to Jurphaas & co for organizing the minimeet.
I'm sure Mr. Blonde wil post some great pics of the knives to come, just wait and see!
Butaangas

Post by Butaangas »

It was like a dream for me. When I first saw Sal Glesser, I coudln't belive my own eyes. It was amazing!!!!!! If you read this sal, I was the guy in the green jacket and I let you sign my leafstorm. I also got a picture of you and me. I want to thank all of you for this great event! hope this will happen next year too. Like toomzz and many others, I was impressed by the Polish Techno-blade in 154cm and titanium. Also there was a hinderer flipper style spyderco with earth brown G10. Awesome knifes. Those where the two that stand out the most.. Oh and not forget the H1 dragonfly 2!!!
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Oh man i really can't wait to see some of the pics!!!
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Jijoel

Post by Jijoel »

Another Dutch guy who want to say thanks to the spyderco crew for the well organized spyder meet.

I also was very impressed by the Polish MS techo knife.
The other 1 was the Brad Southard flipper knife.
Both titanium knives with a very nice stonewash finish.
These were also my big favorites.

So a big thank you and again a great goody bag with a very nice kiwi bone slipjoint.

Thanks Spyderco.
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

It was a very interesting, well organised event with ample opportunitiy for discussion.

My faves:

- Gayle Bradley gentlemen folder
- 2 variant Centofante tribute folders
- Chaparral (practical & compact),
- "fluted Ti" Military
- the last knife was a splendid, well balanced fixed blade. It looked a bit like a elongated Moran. I forgot the designer's name.
- the chic Valboton (spelling?) folder, likely too big and thick for EDC but so nice.
- a French custom design
- Techno, a sturdy compact Ti framelock folder
- a slender and pointy folder with wharncliffe blade and remarkably, a wire clip attached to the pivot screw
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

...uh yes...'Polish Techno' needs a little explanation I guess. As already explained further it was a design I hadn't seen yet.
2.5 inch 154cm blade, Ti-handle, RIL-lock, larger spyderhole, droppoint. Despite its smallness easy to open with my large hand. Made by a Polish knifemaker which name I forgot.....

We also saw both new Bradley's, Eric was not sure yet if the final choice would be M4. I found the Air a little small, no lanyard hole, no clip; I think I will pass that one. The other Bradley (Bradmax ;) ) met my desire :D Slightly larger, sleeker and above all IMHO a more elegant design. One thing I did not like was that the liners are in 'normal thickness' again. I really like the fat polished liners on the first Bradley.

Southfork (bij Phil......?), as mentioned, 5 inch fixed blade in S90V, Up-sweep droppoint, awesome simple but elegant functional knife!
And some more suprises: a larger Manix, it was AFAIK half of an inch larger than the original M2, the new blue manix, a Ti-fluted Native5 with S35VN blade, a Philip de Leeuw Spydie, french Spydie by Nemo (am I correct?) and much more in prototypes and productionmodels.
Jurphaas showed me a collection of great mules, to him and his (?) brother much thanx and a special shoutout as well!

Last but not least Jijoel and I found out we are both real Dutchmen :D

Cheers (from Germany Jijoel),
Tomas
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Dagon wrote:- a slender and pointy folder with wharncliffe blade and remarkably, a wire clip attached to the pivot screw
Des Horn? The one with the 'Sturm und Drang'-style design: 3 grooves both in the blade and the handle? Awesome design, THAT was a sweet little gentleman-knife!
Tom
R@y

What was in the bag?

Post by R@y »

I took some pics of the items...

And some personal gifts, signatures on a CF Cricket box (Sal) as well as a mini Manix (Eric). Increased value material :D

toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Forgot another: new Lil' Temp

hush....mule 11 will be M390 Bohler
Tom
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

toomzz wrote:Forgot another: new Lil' Temp
Oooooooh snap...this and the Large Manix 2 has got me pumped!! Amazing upcoming knife overload!!
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I can't wait to see wouter's photo post of this event.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Butaangas

Post by Butaangas »

Here's my leafstorm :D

The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Mr.Sparkitle wrote:I can't wait to see wouter's photo post of this event.
Agreed! I really hope it includes the prototypes mentioned, especially the Large Manix 2 and Li'l Temp 2...I'm dying to see how they look compared to the originals!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I guess you won't use that Leafstorm any more :D
I have a few edge-U-cation forms signed by Sal.
Tom
4077th

Post by 4077th »

What about a Dodo sprint? Any mention of such?
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

nope, IIRC
Tom