Your pick for the most versatile Spyder folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

Of the knives I own, the Caly 3.5 immediately came to mind. The other recurring theme in this thread seems to be the Para 2. There was a recent thread discussing a comparison of the two here: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47876
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I will keep it simple and cheap.
"Delica"
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Bradley
Tom
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Stretch, it's never let me down yet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

SE Tasman works best for me at work.
alerin

Post by alerin »

Agreed, Para 2 rocks!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Para 2 or Manix 2
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Sage I:
Not too small that you can't do heavy jobs, not too large that you won't risk carring it. A point for piercing. Wide blade for strength. Handle built for comfort. Lock easy to unlock or open. Premium steel blade. Looks good :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

I'm going to go with the Gayle Bradley. It's very gentlemanly, but also tough when it has to be. The edge geometry makes it a champion slicer, but the steel makes it strong at the same time. It's one of those knives that you'd pick if you could only have one knife.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Dyad. PE, SE, belly, super pointy tip, blunt tip, it's got it all. :)

Out of current production models, the Stretch gets my vote.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
TBob

Post by TBob »

I EDC my Stretch CF and it does a great job at pretty much any task, but I'd have to say the top position for versatility goes to the Endura 4 CE. The spydie edge section is great for twine, rope, para cord, vines, weeds, small branches, and plastic ties, while the plain edge slices BBQ ribs, cake, veggies, cardboard, etc.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Caly 3.5, from a dirty machine shop to a fancy nice out it handles every cutting job I require.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

And that is my 100th post on the forum :D !

I vote for the Paramilitary 2.
The Full flat gring, the finger choil, fast deployment, blade shape and belly make this knife for me the most versatile knife for cutting shores!
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

With what I own now versatility = Stretch (blue). I have a Manix 2 on order and have high hopes for it.

I noticed that lots of people like the para-military for versatility. This model may move up a rung or two on my to-get ladder. I have faith in the opinions of people here when it comes to the use for knives.

Jack
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Endura or Delica.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
R.S.R

Post by R.S.R »

DMgangl wrote:Caly 3.5, from a dirty machine shop to a fancy nice out it handles every cutting job I require.

DM
I agree,every day I use it it has become the perfect EDC from work to the weekend for anything "outdoors".
unit

Post by unit »

Well, if you do not mind abusing and potentially destroying the knife, I would say that my Adventura is the most versatile. I carried and used that thing before I developed a proper respect for knives.

the swedge on the top of the blade makes a very good flat screw driver, but this use will bend the tip (and did).

The slots in the blade make for great wire breakers.

The recurve blade allows for some pretty hard cutting, and the VG-10 held up to some horrendous cuts (wire, aluminum sheeting, you name it).

The SS handles made for a reasonable make-shift hammer for driving small brads for assembling frames.

The interesting and slim design also made for a reasonable dress/office knife. I received many positive comments regarding this knife.

Yeah, that knife served me quite well, and I still have it. It performed a LOT of tasks and while the tip is bent, I never really damaged the knife otherwise.

I think many knives can be quite versatile if you are creative and willing to risk everything to get the job done...not that I think it is a good idea, just saying that they are all pretty versatile if you are ignorant and creative enough ;)

I have retired it now. I will hopefully always have it...some day perhaps I will buy another Adventura that someone choose not to abuse.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
KBR

Post by KBR »

IMHO, the most versatile Spydie is the Military PE....period.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
JD Spydo

C-44 big Dyad owns my heart

Post by JD Spydo »

On this one I'll have to go with the original big C-44 Dyad model. With 2 full sized blades ( one SE and one PE) you simply have the best of all possible scenerios which Spyderco offers. I'm truly surprised that there hasn't been a huge outcry to bring back the original C-44 Dyad in one of the newer/super steels.

Now just for a small to mid sized EDC I can't find any fault with my old Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr. which I've carried off and on ever since it's inception in 2005.

I think it would be more fair to say which Spyderco model would not be ideal as a great all around EDC blade. In that case it just boils down to what a guy or gal feels best with. I've also had great luck with the Zowada and the JD Smith models as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

JD Spydo wrote:On this one I'll have to go with the original big C-44 Dyad model. With 2 full sized blades ( one SE and one PE) you simply have the best of all possible scenerios which Spyderco offers. I'm truly surprised that there hasn't been a huge outcry to bring back the original C-44 Dyad in one of the newer/super steels.

Now just for a small to mid sized EDC I can't find any fault with my old Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr. which I've carried off and on ever since it's inception in 2005.

I think it would be more fair to say which Spyderco model would not be ideal as a great all around EDC blade. In that case it just boils down to what a guy or gal feels best with. I've also had great luck with the Zowada and the JD Smith models as well.
I've wondered the same thing about the Dyad knives. Here is what I think (I'm sure everyone cares :rolleyes :) . People either love or hate serrated edges for whatever reason. So when they spend money for a knife with both it's like half the money is going for something they don't care for anyway. Or maybe it's the plain edge that someone either loves or hates. This is kind of a far fetched theory but as far as versatility in knives go both type blades would cover lots of bases. The combo edge is meant to do this but IMHO a combo edge takes away from the features of an edge type more than what it gives in relation to an edge type. The SE portion of a CE takes away good PE space and the PE portion takes away good SE space. I like a blade that is either one or the other and the Dyad knives satisfy this desire. I do have the Byrd Wings and love it but it is too big for an EDC knife. Also, I'm not a fan of SEs for EDC but the Wings is on my tool belt and there is no telling what you are going to come across when wearing a tool belt. Tool belts open up opportunities. Try wearing a tool belt to a club one night. You'll get lots of reactions from the ladies. :D You probably will go home alone though. :(

Jack