My Chinook II Took a SWAN DIVE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

My Chinook II Took a SWAN DIVE

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just a couple of days ago I made a post in the off-topic section as to why I don't use a 'Hawthorn Rip' to access my knives for SD. A 'Hawthorn Rip' for those who might not know is when you wear an over garment closed with buttons or zipper to totally conceal a firearm or knives on the waist or in the pockets and you access those tools by quickly lifting up the garment with the off hand and grabbing said tools. I mentioned that I always keep my over garments open in the front and use the old gunslingers trick of having a small weight (in my case, speed-loaders) in the pockets of the over garment. In this way you need only to swing the garment backwards to clear the area in order that you may grab said tools. I find the method quicker, my off-hand is free to fend off an attacker and the hand that swings the garment backwards is already in motion backwards to pick up the SD tool, basically economy of movement. The main reason I don't use the 'Hawthorn Rip' method is I'm always afraid the bottom of my over garment will catch on the clips of my pocket carry and dump the knives on the floor. (Not a good place for your knife to be in a SD situation. Well enough about that....So last night I'm doing laundry...I bend over to empty the dryer and the bottom of my vest catches the clip of my Chinook II. I hear a loud clunk as I stand up, and first thought it was my cell phone, as I think what the heck was that!! I couldn't see cause my hands were full of laundry. So I put the laundry down and look on the floor and to my surprise I see my trusted Chinook II laying on the ceramic floor. It hit with so much force that the blade opened up and locked into place. I was kinda happy it wasn't my cell phone, that would have broke into pieces. it was the mighty Chinook that took a swan dive from 3 feet 8 inches above ground. Happy to report, not a nick...scratch...dink or dent....of course not.... I dropped a Tank. Last year I was cutting a plastic tie and used so much force that as the knife cut free the tip smashed into a concrete column ...I was sure it would have snapped the tip off....but no!....it took a large chip out of the concrete no damage whatsoever to the tip of the Chinook. Chinook I and II are real work horses, strong knife is an understatement. Thank you Spyderco for making a Tank of a knife....that seems like a cat to have nine lives, whenever I accidentally abuse it......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Nice. Long live the tanks.
I always jump clear these days when something unexpectedly jumps out of a pocket, as I like my toes and I'm nearly always bare foot around the home.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

If I were you I'd be worried about replacing the floor tiles. :D
v8r

Post by v8r »

Careful Doc they don't make those anymore!
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
ceya

Post by ceya »

And James Keating for designing such a tank!

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Whew! I was afraid to open this thread Doc. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You're lucky you didn't break the floor, Doc. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Agent Starling

floor tile abuse...

Post by Agent Starling »

great story Doc! glad they make those floor tiles nice and strong! ;) :eek:

As for the Chinook, what a great knife, one of my fave Spydies! :spyder:

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Wondering how one of the VG-10 protos would have held up in its stead?? When I think of the torture tests they'd been exposed to being test pieces, I'd imagine my 1/2 pound of 'tank' would've risen to the occasion.
Not that I'd wish it on her... just wondering / SB ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Blerv wrote:Whew! I was afraid to open this thread Doc. :)
LMAO...Just a drop from the pants pocket....not like it tried to commit suicide or anything :p ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*