How are those Sage III's?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

How are those Sage III's?

Post by gull wing »

Lock Loosening up any?
I put mine near my recliner and "work" it every night for a few minutes. This way, it doesn't kill my fingers. I think it just may be getting better :) .
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

Lock will actually disengage easier than the Manix lock. Just keep working it...that's what I've been doing with the new blades while on a conference call for work, watching TV, waiting for servers to reboot... :)

Do you oil your knives? I've found that itnworks with some designs, but nit others. Haven't oiled the Sage 3 yet.
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

I don't find mine that difficult to release. Wish the knob was a little larger, but it is certainly workable.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I can pretty easily release it with just my thumb, and have been able to since maybe a week or less after owning it. I didn't ever think it was really stiff, but it has loosened up a bit for me.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gull wing wrote:Lock Loosening up any?
I put mine near my recliner and "work" it every night for a few minutes. This way, it doesn't kill my fingers. I think it just may be getting better :) .
Initially pretty sticky; has loosened up a lot, to almost Manix 2 smoothness, with some use. I really like this little knife!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for the report.
syphen

Post by syphen »

my Sage 3 is smoother then my Manix 2's....
Too many Spydies to list!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

syphen wrote:my Sage 3 is smoother then my Manix 2's....
Mine is smoother after it is unlocked...not quite as smooth actually unlocking. I assume it's because the bolt has a little more friction than the ball. (I'm not trying to argue about your knife, just clarifying what might have been unclear about my post. ;) )
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can close mine much more easily, but I attribute that to my getting more familiar with the lock, rather than the lock "breaking in". Can't say it's gotten much pocket time, that darn Chaparral has put everything else on the shelf. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Deacon how did you get the Chaparral? Is it released?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Lucky you Deacon, on the chaparral. :)
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Mine is much better then the day I bought it, But it is still tighter then say a griptilian.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine was silky smooth right out of the box. No need to break-in or loosen up. It seems about as easy as an axis lock to me.
:bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've had my Sage 3 for a few weeks and, just because I like the feel of a knife in my hand (need I explain in this forum?!), have gone through binges of opening and closing it.

I'd say the bolt is now marginally stiffer, even after a drop of oil, just at the start of its release. Where I think the tang actually engages the bolt, I see a very tiny scratch. Perhaps this scratch is a channel that the bolt has dug onto the surface while being repeatedly sprung onto and dragged off this surface. The new friction I'm now feeling may be the bolt rubbing against the greater surface its action had created.

That said, the scratch and increased stiffness are barely noticeable. The knife is more than a keeper.

I EDC the Sage 3 (instead of my wonderful but menacing Para-Military 2), together with a Dragonfly 1, and will continue doing so at least until the Chaparral (http://bit.ly/i4pX3G) can prove it offers what I like most in my Sage and Dragonfly.