Can unused choils hamper self defense?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blue72

Can unused choils hamper self defense?

Post by Blue72 »

I was cutting some denim this morning for my daughters craft project using a pinch grip. Some material got caught in the blades choil area preventing me from moving any further.

I do not know if this is a real problem or not, I just thought I might bring this up to forum members who might be practicing such arts to be aware of this.
unit

Post by unit »

What is it?

Are you talking about a choil like the LeafStorm? I have a CRK that has a choil like that and I never carry the knife for that reason.

OTOH, if it is a choil like the Military, ParaMilitary, Stretch, etc....then I am affraid I am not following how it could be a problem (you should hit the plunge that extends beyond the cutting edge on these types of choils, and this prevents the media from slipping into the dull "finger choil").
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

I'm not sure I understand. What kind of knife were you using?

I have done cutting on what we call "Porkman" in Martial Blade Concepts and have watched demonstrations on porkman by Michael Janich many times. I have never seen or experienced any issues with the choil of a blade catching on the fabric. The ballistic nature of the kinds of cuts demonstrated and practiced coupled with a properly sharpened blade allow for an almost effortless cut through denim, butchers twine and pork.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I know exactly what you are talking about....but it should not hamper using the knife in a SD situation...if it gets caught up on clothing as it might, a slight lifting of the blade will free it up, on bare flesh it's not a problem.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

i find they can catch in thicker card board also
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I know exactly what you are talking about....but it should not hamper using the knife in a SD situation...if it gets caught up on clothing as it might, a slight lifting of the blade will free it up, on bare flesh it's not a problem.....Doc :D
I agree Doc and I thought I just make people aware so they can be aware of this and compensate for it
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

chuck buck wrote:i find they can catch in thicker card board also

actually I notice it more on thin cardboard like cereal boxes
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I find that the spydie hole catches in cardboard...
On the hunt for...
scout

Post by scout »

I rarely buy knives that have sharpening choils for that reason. It tends to catch on rope and nylon webbing and that makes it dangerous in marine environments.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

If the choil kept your fingers off the edge if you stabbed something hard you'd be happy to have it!!!