Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AJF

Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Spydie?

Post by AJF »

I recently came into possession of a very nice Spydie that has one problem---I suppose the previous owner was a smoker, because the knife, the box, etc., arrived with a very strong cigarette smoke odor.

So far, I've tried Lysol, soap and water scrubbings, lemon juice, and several hours in the fresh air. I've definitely improved things, but there is still some odor.

Has anyone ever successfully "de-smoked" a knife, and if so, how?

Thanks,

Andrew
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Wow! That's an interesting problem. I'm sorry I don't have a solution to offer you, but I wish you luck.

If the idea of a pocketknife retaining the disgusting smell of cigarette smoke is not enough to make someone quit ...
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Bounce sheets wrapped around the knife and then put in the box for a few days?
On the hunt for...
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

What's that stuff ... "activated charcoal"? Supposed to be THE odor remover. Could the knife be rubbed in the stuff, and then rinsed? Does it work like that?
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Is it stainless steel, frn, or g10? Generally the resins left by smoke can be removed safely with all of those materials with isopropyl or denatured alcohol.

If it's a stainless knife, you can get away with a lot more.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Wd-40?
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

It would be helpful to know what materials besides obviously, steel, that the knife is made of.

As for the box...not a whole lot you're going to be able to do about that unfortunately. You might be able to improve it a bit, but chances are it's good and absorbed into the paper fiber.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

just another reason not to smoke..if ciggarette smoke does that to a knife,imagine your lungs?? Put the knife in mouthwash Listerine and leave for 5min. Should do the trick..btw you're not a dentist??
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Picked up a used Millie (black G-10) and it STUNK! The stale cigarette smoke smell was pretty bad. I first cleaned / scrubbed it with Dawn dish soap using a soft brush. Then I went over it again with a little ajax and that did the trick. No more stale smoke stench.... Rinsed it well and put a little hopps oil on the pivot.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

If you really want to make it all gone forever..there is a product made by Winsol called Versitol...It is a Multi-Function cleaning concentrate for cleaning and decontamination of Turnout Gear, Fire Equipment and Vehicles. It is what the fire department uses and it takes the smoke smell out of anything, the product really works well. If you put a little on a damp cloth and wipe down the spyder, then wash it off in clean water, not only will all the smell go away but the cloth will pick up the smoke residue and blackened soot, turning the cloth black...leave the cloth in the solution for five minutes and it will clean itself...amazing stuff...but expensive...(not really for a gallon which is a concentrate it costs around $29-$32, but when you think of all it's uses, it's worth the price, it's a great product to keep around the house) ...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

lol i smoke (out doors) and sell Spydercos. People that smoke indoors PISS ME OFF, i dont care how cold it is GO OUTSIDE!!!!

lol all i can say is WOW i cant imagine a knife that is so imbedded with nicotine & tar that you cant get rid of it.

I almost want to smell that knife LMAO, crazy..?
v8r

Post by v8r »

I bought a c95 off eBay that was perfect except for the smell........it smelled like the bottom of a ashtray. I just washed it really well with dishwashing soap, and let it air out. The box will get better if you let it air out also.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Simple Green, MPro 7, or any other strong but safe cleaner will work. You'll need a toothbrush, q-tips and pipe cleaners or equivalent to get into all the nooks and crannies.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've heard lemon juice kills odors. If the handles are a porous material a small amount of lemon juice may be absorbed just like cigarette smoke. Then you may have a knife with a lemony fresh scent.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Stale beer or stale coffee. Worth a try anyway.

Only problem with that is beer doesn't get stale here. ;)
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:What's that stuff ... "activated charcoal"? Supposed to be THE odor remover. Could the knife be rubbed in the stuff, and then rinsed? Does it work like that?
This is your best bet. However, you don't rub it on the surface, you just leave it near the item. Activated charcoal is sometimes placed in fridges to deodorize them. I'd suggest getting some charcoal and sealing it and the knife in a plastic bag for a couple days, and see if that helps.

Washing the knife isn't going to neutralize the odor; trust me.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Lemon juice then baby wipes.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Rubbing alcohol always seems to work for me, even with older bone handle slippies. I tend to wipe them down as soon as I get them regardless, as you never know the history.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
unit

Post by unit »

It is amazing what some people will take for granted. A person that has a knife like that, must have many other possessions that are similar in smell...yet they probably have no awareness how others feel about it.

I have never had that problem with a knife. I bought a home stereo amplifier a long time ago and in spite of it being "new" the store that sold it apparently enjoyed smoke (this was 20 years ago). After about 4 years the smell became imperceptible...it wasn't like I was going to dunk the amp in alcohol, and at that time in my life it did not bother me nearly as much as it would today.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I'm skeptical about the charcoal idea because every time I've gotten something from someone who smoked it has had a thin layer of tar on it that trapped the odor. When that's true (and you can see it when you rub some cleaner onto the surface - the cloth will be brownish), you have to dissolve and remove the tar (or whatever it is) that's on the surface. Blech. Think what the lungs look like inside...