I think what the Warrior needs is a coyote brown g10 handle and a kydex sheath :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tacticooledc

I think what the Warrior needs is a coyote brown g10 handle and a kydex sheath :)

Post by tacticooledc »

If it had those two things I'd be all for it. Although I'm salivating over the FRN black/satin Warrior with uncomfortable nylon sheath, I can't justify the >$200 price tag, even if I go active duty.

I do however have the temperance 2 and believe I can justify its $180 price tag I accepted several months ago =D Pretty sure it can fulfill its role as a military duty knife about as well as the warrior, as long as its not being used as a dive knife.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

You could always have a kydex sheath made for the Warrior. There are a number of people on places like BladeForums and even here that can hook you up.
markg

Post by markg »

Keep in mind, the Kydex sheath will have some trade offs. For one, H1 likes to scratch, Kydex likes to scratch blades... Put the two together... Now if you don't care, then you don't care. It will not be a functional issue.

Kydex can be less than quiet in certain situations. It can clank around, and makes noise when hit with things.

And lastly, Kydex is at its best when custom fit to a knife. I think one of the reasons most manufacturers have moved away from this material for production knives is this issue. The best Kydex sheath is custom made for that particular knife. Fit is very important, if not it will sound like you are carrying a baby's rattle on your belt.

The upside is that a custom made Kydex sheath is not too hard to get, or all that expensive to buy. Keep in mind, the price would have been added if you bought it from the manufacturer (or at least a bit). Mike Sastre (a member of this forum) can hook you up with whatever you like.

When it comes to fixed blades I look at sheaths the way I look at holsters for handguns. On a rare occasion you get one from the manufacturer, and they stink. I mean the last holster I want for my Glock is one of those silly plastic things they have. The infinite ways a customer might want to carry, body build, climate, etc... The best solution is to realize you are going to have to drop some coin to get a rig that suits your needs. I look at fixed blades the same way.

As for the G-10... You would have to see if the maker in Japan has access to it. It would also jack up the price on an already expensive knife. I am sure Spyderco is looking for anyway they can to LOWER the price of the knife. But again, adding said G-10 slabs would not be too much of a chore or expense for you or a friendly knife pimper.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I personally think the Temperance 2 is a better duty knife than the Warrior.

The Warrior is a purpose built knife for fighting/killing, and is quite a bit of weight and bulk to carry, especially when you'll need a utility knife as well (which I wouldn't use the Warrior for).

Temperance 2 is multi-purpose, and has a more suited blade-shape and grind to do a bit of everything!
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

I've made a few H1 Warrior sheaths in Coyote Brown, Olive Drab, and Carbon Fiber pattern, in addition to the standard Black. Think I still have one Coyote Brown sheath left in with the Gun & Knife show stuff.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mike Sastre wrote:I've made a few H1 Warrior sheaths in Coyote Brown, Olive Drab, and Carbon Fiber pattern, in addition to the standard Black. Think I still have one Coyote Brown sheath left in with the Gun & Knife show stuff.
There ya go OP!!!
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Mike Sastre wrote:I've made a few H1 Warrior sheaths in Coyote Brown, Olive Drab, and Carbon Fiber pattern, in addition to the standard Black. Think I still have one Coyote Brown sheath left in with the Gun & Knife show stuff.
Thumbs up for Mike's sheaths! I have one he made for my Warrior and LOVE IT, it really fits like a glove

- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

AWESOME!
What's the price tag on those puppies?
markg

Post by markg »

cougar337 wrote:Thumbs up for Mike's sheaths! I have one he made for my Warrior and LOVE IT, it really fits like a glove

I just got the black Warrior in the mail today. LOVE IT...

However those pictures really make me want the satin version also...
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

tacticooledc wrote:AWESOME!
What's the price tag on those puppies?
Just shoot Mike a PM so you can discuss things further.
I don't recommend discussing sales in threads ;)
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Creepo wrote:Just shoot Mike a PM so you can discuss things further.
I don't recommend discussing sales in threads ;)
Creepo is correct. It would be improper for me to discuss prices in these forums, so I don't do it. You can reach me at RiverCitySheaths@aol.com, or by PM for further information.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Guarantee you take that knife in the field you will get poked fun of.

How do I know? 1st field exercise I took an Al Mar Warrior to the field.

Granted the Spyderco version is not as long, but it is still different looking enough from a typical knife to garner the attention.

That said, before taking any knife with you on an exercise check your post/unit regulations.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich