How has Spyderco changed your life?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hiredgun

How has Spyderco changed your life?

Post by hiredgun »

To expound on the title, how has owning Spyderco knives or other Spyderco products, such as the Sharpmaker changed your life, lifestyle, manner, habits, etc?

To get things started, I'll just prime the conversation with a few things, although certainly not all-inclusive for me.

1. I am much more careful how I sit down in chairs and sofas. Early on in my Spyderco career, I used to snag clips on the arms of chairs and bend the crap out of my clips, strip screws are even tear my pants. :eek: I've come a long way and no one's likely gonna pull a chair out from under me. :p

2. I am known nearby and abroad with my family, relatives, friends and aquaintances as the man who always has at least 2 knives on him at all times. To quote my wife, "If he's wearing pants, he's got a knife on him!" So naturally, I'm always cutting, slicing or opening something for someone almost daily.

3. I have something to look forward to everyday--reading this forum and the Spyderco subforum on Bladeforums and what knives I'm going to carry for the day. I really enjoy learning something new each day and I've made some friends along the way.

Thanks Sal for your vision. Look where you (and we) are today. :D
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
dwong

Post by dwong »

1. Wallet got cut thinner
2. Same as below, so give some spydercos out as gift...doesn't help with #1. :D
hiredgun wrote:
2. I am known nearby and abroad with my family, relatives, friends and aquaintances as the man who always has at least 2 knives on him at all times. To quote my wife, "If he's wearing pants, he's got a knife on him!" So naturally, I'm always cutting, slicing or opening something for someone almost daily.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Im in the "LOT less money" and JUST been buying Spyders camp !!!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Well my wallet sure has shrunk... :D But on a more serious note, that disposable income would have gone somewhere anyway.

Along with knives I got sucked into the whole EDC scene, nowadays I've at least doubled the essential items I carry with me everyday. I've saved days every now and then thanks to multitools, knives, flashlights etc. I feel that it has made my life a bit more "exciting" in a way. :D

I have really started to live according to "you get what you pay for". I pay more attention to the stuff I buy: quality vs. price, I'm now willing to dish out a bit more to get something that works better and longer on a lot more things than before.

And finally a factor that will most likely affect my life quite a bit: my choice of career.
Due to knives I became immensely fascinated by all the different steels and handle materials and as a result I am now studying Materials Science and Engineering at a university.
Without knives, I literally don't know what I'd be doing and where. :p
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

its like you say bro.. Spyderco and ofcourse Spydie forums have made an impact on my life definitely.
Most of my knives are Spyderco,although i adore many other brands too.
I guess what it boils down to,is originality. If a knifecompany comes up with something totally original and unique,my mindset and wallet opens up to that.
Spyderco definetely in a league of its own,without getting too 'hooha' about it,and just making a customer happy.
Ive been satisfied with basically all my Spyderco's ive purchased,even the honeybee's ive bought,and everyone seems to know the knife with the roundhole to be synonymis,with quality and asking me 'where can i get one of those?
markg

Post by markg »

I run faster and jump higher...

Wait, no that is because of my new shoes.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

1) Like everyone else, my finances have taken a hit (better on quality tools than booze on a sat night though)
2) My appreciation for the mailman has increased. Hen I'm waiting for a new spydie my heart skips a beat when I see a mailtruck or a postal worker
3) The quality and care put into Sal's final product has given me such an approach to everything I do and come in contact with during the day - I've become a bit of a perfectionist with most work related things (sounds cheesy but it's true)
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I've never been a collector of anything.... except for spydies. For example, I have a small number of guns, all of which I shoot - I've never been interested in amassing a large collection of them. I have a few other knives from other brands but spydies are my central interest.

I really look forward to trying out new releases and have come to appreciate the subtle and critical design decisions that make a good knife great. I also enjoy following a model from the first glimpse pictures, to prototype pics, to ordering, to enjoying it riding around in my pocket.

I am now also the guy that always has a sharp knife -- I do a lot of cutting for other folks :) I've also sucked a few friends into the spyderco clan as well.

Last, I really enjoy this forum and the spyderco area over at BF. My post count on each is not indicative of my enjoyment :) I guess I tend to read a lot more than I write. Both forums are populated by a lot of nice people who share a really fun, common interest.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Spyderco,has put a new edge of sharpness on the knives in my life..
2cha

Post by 2cha »

A) Less money.

B) Too much time spent on forums.

C) Despite A and B above, I'm a happier person.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

It was Spyderco that taught me to appreciate great blade steels and high quality well designed knives and how much better and fun it is to cut with them. And then I realized that since most of the cutting I do is actually in the kitchen, that I ought to have kitchen knives that are made from outstanding blade steels and superbly designed just like my Spydercos are wrt folders. And a search for that naturally led me into the world of amazing Japanese kitchen knives (and then Japanese waterstones to keep them sharp). And I soon realized that the expensive German kitchen knives I had been using for about 30 or so years and had previously thought were very good, were in fact, actually quite poor performers. So now I do my cooking with some great and very well maintained J. kitchen knives that have made the prep part of cooking really exciting and fun. And all that began several years ago with a Walmart Spyderco Native.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

hiredgun wrote:2. I am known nearby and abroad with my family, relatives, friends and acquaintances as the man who always has at least 2 knives on him at all times. To quote my wife, "If he's wearing pants, he's got a knife on him!" So naturally, I'm always cutting, slicing or opening something for someone almost daily.
This. Definitely this. ;)
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

How Spyderco has changed my life:

1. Pants are heavier.
2. Coats are heavier.
3. Keychain is heavier.
4. Briefcase is heavier.
5. Wallet is proverbially lighter.
6. A Sharpmaker is often employed on the kitchen counter.
7. Useful drawer space is filled with empty Spyderco boxes.
8. Family now asks me to cut things without hesitation.
9. I buy first aid supplies more frequently.
10. I regularly visit the Spyderco Forum, USN Forum, CS, KC, KW, GPK, NGK and spydercovt websites.
11. I rarely visit firearms websites now.

Did I miss anything?

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Creepo wrote: And finally a factor that will most likely affect my life quite a bit: my choice of career.
Due to knives I became immensely fascinated by all the different steels and handle materials and as a result I am now studying Materials Science and Engineering at a university.
This is terrific!

Good luck!
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
TheMelonPopper

Post by TheMelonPopper »

Before spyderco I was a loser, but now thanks to the new spyderco para 2 Im a lady's man. They used to say, "Oh my god! look at his little.....benchmite" but now they say "Oh wow, look at that...... SPYDERCO!!!" Thanks hydroxy...I mean Thanks sypderco!!!
Two is one, one is none.
Hissatsu5

Post by Hissatsu5 »

The Spyderco salt knives are a must have if you spend a lot of time at the beach or saltwater no one makes a better dive or saltwater fishing knife
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

• Inspiration as cultivated by Sal Glesser, a man I have come to respect, not only as a businessman, but as an ethical individual in his own right.
  • Enjoyment of collecting the best production knives made anywhere.
  • Appreciation of the kindred spirit found in Spyderco owners, who support and help each other.
Regardless of the other knives I collect, I keep coming back to Spyderco. I have never had 'buyers remorse' with a Spyderco product and whether it is a Byrd or a flagship model, each demonstrate great ergonomics and intelligent design.

Thanks, Spyderco!
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well besides the thin wallet issue....i must say i didn't really know much about steel quality and the finer details of sharpening until i bought my first (and more so my second) Spydie and joined the forum and started edge-u-cating myself.

Unfortunately, the down side is i've become a bit of a brand/steel snob. Generally, if the type of steel isn't laser etched into the blade, i'm not even interested lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

hiredgun wrote:
Even if I'm not wearing pants I still have a knife on me, and it's a Spyderco. This necklace I don't take off.

EDCTAC

Post by EDCTAC »

I smile a lot more, and look forward to buying stuff in otherwise impossible to open plastic packages. And like a crackhead I sit around trying to find enough money for my next fix.
:spyder:My mind is the sharpest weapon I have, my spyderco is the second!;)