I Would Love to See a Spyderco Collaboration Like This!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

dj moonbat wrote:Yeah -- I was just thinking last night that :spyder: should make a new Ronin neck knife.
Another Ronin or ronin sprint would be great. While we're at it, how 'bout another Lum fixed blade or Ed Schempp Japanese style anything!

I like the Brodus knife.

I wish the logo was more discreet.

The reverse grip looks like a good way to lose a pinky.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

jag-engr wrote: Just because his style is different than yours doesn't mean he's not a knifemaker.
No, just because his skills are limited to milling.
Which in turn limits his designs to what he can make on his milling machine.
And that is not enough to make a decent knife.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Piet.S wrote:No, just because his skills are limited to milling.
Which in turn limits his designs to what he can make on his milling machine.
And that is not enough to make a decent knife.
What about the SPOT and Swick? They are milled or otherwise machined and are very good knives, at least in my opinion. There are many different ways to make knives. What matters is the end result.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

*shrug*. I'm trying to pinpoint the functional advantages of the design while weighing the disadvantages (which is the problem with many of his knives). It honestly looks more shady than it should sporting a 2" blade. That's about a third of an inch longer than a Ladybug's blade.

Is it for defense? Is it for chores? I'd rather see a 4"+/- model with 4 finger holes because it would be more useful for both jobs.

It would also probably be $300. :rolleyes: Still, points for style granted.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I don't know...I kinda like it...I was going to get one...then figure out the best way to use it...
Thanks for the link to the guys website...Now that I see more of what's going on...I think I'll pass...good try anyway.....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Slash

Post by Slash »

knives look good to me. haters gonna hate I guess.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hate is a pretty strong word....I don't hate...like Blerv said +1 FOR CREATIVITY...or as he put it "points for style" To quote Piet "his skills are limited" -5 for that one....Fact is those numbers still leave me in the pass, till the -5 becomes a +1, probably not gonna happen anytime soon....I'm sure the maker is selling plenty of his wares, I'm looking for quality, that's why I'm here....But I don't hate the mans work...just not buying it for reasons mentioned above....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

jag-engr wrote:What about the SPOT and Swick? They are milled or otherwise machined and are very good knives, at least in my opinion. There are many different ways to make knives. What matters is the end result.
Yes, I agree.
I don't have a problem with machining as a dominant factor in the production of knives.
Take Kevin Wilkins for example, he is a keen machinist and makes very fine cutlery.
But he grinds the bevels on the blades of his knives and that is why they are functional and good looking as well.

Jason Brous doesn't grind, he mills.
I think he would do himself a great favor if he aquired some more skills, useful for knifemaking, like grinding.
His designs would surely benefit from the endless possibilities that craftmanship can bring.

I hope this explains my view on Brousblades.

And mr or mrs Slash.
This is not called hating, it's called discussion.
It's what people do here.
Brous Blades

Post by Brous Blades »

Piet.S wrote:
Jason Brous doesn't grind, he mills.
I think he would do himself a great favor if he aquired some more skills, useful for knifemaking, like grinding.
His designs would surely benefit from the endless possibilities that craftmanship can bring.

I hope this explains my view on Brousblades.

And mr or mrs Slash.
This is not called hating, it's called discussion.
It's what people do here.
You sure seem to know a lot about me, to bad you've never seen or held one of my knives in person, you really have no clue what kind of quality or craftsmanship I have. By the way, I grind on a daily basis with my 2x72 KMG. You'll see some of my work coming out in a 4 page spread in July 2011 Tactical Knives Magazine
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Jason, first of all, welcome on the Spyderco forum.

So to get this clear, for my understanding, language barrier and all, this is what you say?

That since you started as Kut Throat Knives a little while ago, you have become a master grinder and that the only reason why almost all of your blades are straight edged is because you believe that those blades have the best performance and look better too.
That you can easily grind any shape you want because you are a great craftsman and that this preference is not because it is so much easier this way?

Really.

Jason, I'm a metal worker for over 30 years, mainly in the aircraft industry.
I make knives too and I have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to make great knives.

Do you really want to tell me I should be impressed by your work?

And can you please explain what is so innovative about your knives?

All the best,
Piet
addylo

Post by addylo »

Piet, he never asked you to be impressed with his knives. If you don't like them then don't buy them. Attacking the craftsman over his design only makes you look small.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Neither of you are starting to looks very mature here, just drop it guys or take it elsewhere.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Brous Blades wrote:You'll see some of my work coming out in a 4 page spread in July 2011 Tactical Knives Magazine
Congratulations, Jason!

I've looked through the knives on your Brous Blades website - impressive. The Silent Soldier is still my favorite design, though. Any chance that it could be made from a slightly thinner stock and/or with a full flat ground blade?
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

It's an interesting design, but I'm not sure what Spyderco could do here as far as a collaboration is concerned.

edit: I checked out Jason's webpage ( http://brousblades.com ) and I was very impressed - especially since he is only 23. I think he has a bright future in the knifemaking industry.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Very nice Jason! Please excuse piet, it seems he has became a tool from all those year's working with tools. Take care and thank's for sharing jag.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder: