I Would Love to See a Spyderco Collaboration Like This!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jag-engr

I Would Love to See a Spyderco Collaboration Like This!

Post by jag-engr »

A lot of knife companies are making small, stubby 2- or 3-finger fixed blades that can be carried in the pocket. These seem to be pretty popular.

Spyderco's smallest fixed knife to date is the SPOT (unless I'm mistaken), which is still rather large for pocket carry.

I recently came across a unique neck knife design that, to me, looks like an ideal candidate for a Spyderco collaboration (assuming the maker is interested).

Jason Brous Silent Solider

It's a minimalist neck knife with a finger hole grip. It's really well thought-out to allow for a variety of grips. It's also very compact. In many ways, it's similar to the Vox Mini, but with a better handle setup.

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with this knife?

Edit to Add: This maker has several different designs. Here is his main website.
markg

Post by markg »

Good luck with that "concealed grip" they show in the video... Ouch!!!
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

markg wrote:Good luck with that "concealed grip" they show in the video... Ouch!!!
True enough. I'm also not too sure about the "Punch Grip", but the normal forward and reverse grips look pretty good.

What I find appealing is that it has just enough handle to get a really good grip on it.

I think that it could be made considerably lighter by using a slightly thinner stock and using a more pronounced swedge on the back of the blade.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

For what it cost its not a bad deal. I don't see the point of a spyderco collab just suck it up and buy the real thing the guy isn't asking much for an american chunk of steel. Not my cup of tea but what would you want spyderco to make it for other than to reduce the cost.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Love it!!!

But I am sure that would be declared a Knuckle knife where I live
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Meh, the Swick series is far superior to that knife.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that looks great...though a couple of those holds look like they would damage the user as much as the intended target. But I am sure that would never get across the border up here.

And really, even if Spyderco made one, if they used the same steel and included a sheath, I'm sure that the cost would be pretty close to what the current makers are asking.
On the hunt for...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That Solid Soldier model is not really my cup of tea, but I'd love to see more fixed pocket knives (without finger holes) in Spyderco's lineup. Like the knives that Tom Krein likes to make. The TK11 would IMO be a perfect match for a Spyderco collab. It's ergonomic and very practical.

It could also complement the slipit line. I've found that non-knife people (and off duty LEO's) don't seem to mind a small utilitarian fixed blade as much as they do a one-hand opening folder, in the right context. Germany for example, has laws against one-hand opening and locking folders, but a small fixed blade seems to be OK in many situations.

I do realize that mr. Krein does work for Boker now, but he has also done a design with CRKT.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I think it's not a knife.
It's a thing, meant to look cool and the result of the only skill this ''maker'' has under his belt.
He can work with a milling machine and thats it.
Oh yes, and he can work the forums.

I wish him all the luck to make a name and all, but until he learns a whole lot more, I do consider him a beginner instead of a knifemaker.

It would be the first non-functional Spyderco.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

VashHash wrote:For what it cost its not a bad deal. I don't see the point of a spyderco collab just suck it up and buy the real thing the guy isn't asking much for an american chunk of steel. Not my cup of tea but what would you want spyderco to make it for other than to reduce the cost.
I agree - it is a great price, especially for a custom knife. It's definitely on my list (though I have a long list :o ). I think Spyderco could lighten the knife and perhaps refine some of the design points, such as a FFG blade.
psychophipps wrote:Meh, the Swick series is far superior to that knife.
But larger. I have the Swick and I love it, but it's a tad large for pocket carry. If Spyderco were to refine this knife with the same fit and finish that they had on the Swick, it would be a super compact and highly functional knife.
Mr Blonde wrote:... I'd love to see more fixed pocket knives (without finger holes) in Spyderco's lineup...
It could also complement the slipit line.
I agree, though I think a finger hole allows the handle to be stubbier and more compact.
Piet.S wrote:I think it's not a knife.
It's a thing, meant to look cool and the result of the only skill this ''maker'' has under his belt.
He can work with a milling machine and thats it.

I wish him all the luck to make a name and all, but until he learns a whole lot more, I do consider him a beginner instead of a knifemaker.
Wow, Piet, do you have something against this guy? I don't much care for his marketing, but I think his design shows style and forethought. For instance, a lot of "knifemakers" would use a chisel grind on this blade, but he goes to the trouble of grinding both edges. Just because his style is different than yours doesn't mean he's not a knifemaker.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Looks like a good knife, design wise, nothing revolutionary IMO.
Just another item that is overly "tacticooled", thick stock, advertised with funky wanna-be SD grips. Make it with a 2mm stock and it'll make one **** of a utility knife and I'll take 2. :D

For a Spyderco collab, no thanks for the reasons stated above.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

jag-engr wrote:Wow, Piet, do you have something against this guy? I don't much care for his marketing, but I think his design shows style and forethought. For instance, a lot of "knifemakers" would use a chisel grind on this blade, but he goes to the trouble of grinding both edges. Just because his style is different than yours doesn't mean he's not a knifemaker.
Keep it clean, I don't think Piet meant to be as rude as it sounded.
He has a point which I agree with to a degree.
I mean the guy is still a rookie with one rather limited design out that just doesn't appeal to everyone, especially the cheesy advertising doesn't exactly scream experience.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Creepo wrote:Make it with a 2mm stock and it'll make one **** of a utility knife and I'll take 2. :D
I agree - it does need to be thinner. If made from a thinner stock, it would be a great bare bones utility knife.
Creepo wrote:I mean the guy is still a rookie with one rather limited design out that just doesn't appeal to everyone,...
True enough. This may be the only good knife design we see from the guy, but, even so, I think it shows a lot of sophistication for a first design, even if you don't like the style.

I do hope he continues to develop new knives, and perhaps his marketing style will mature, as well.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cool idea. I don't know if it's Spyderco's thing but I don't speak for them. I'd rather see a necker version of the Ronin.

Also, not to minimize the damage a blade can do but some of these blades are just tiny. 2" can do some damage if you sink it from tip to tang but otherwise you are talking superficial cuts.

Give me 3+ inches of blade anyday. Most soldier's prob see the Streat Beat on the smaller side of the spectrum and that's 3.5".

Note: Not always trying to lean towards defensive carry but neck knives seem to follow this philosophy.
Kambei

Post by Kambei »

Interesting knife. Thanks for sharing.
gb12549

Post by gb12549 »

Yup, that is an interesting knife. Have you looked at the Boker Plus Edit? It's minimalist & a small fixed blade, Chad Los Banos designed in the Subcom theme
angusW

Post by angusW »

Looks like a neat knife but too much of a tactical look for me. Plus I wouldn't want to have to explain to a LEO the purpose of it considering it almost looks like brass knuckles with a blade. I love my Swick and wish I could land another but a bit too big for a necker for some. I just picked up a Boker Gnome which is 100% light utility knife, zero tactical. Most of Spyderco's knife don't have that tactical look and this one just oozes it.

I agree that I hope Spyderco does do a small fixed blade.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

gb12549 wrote:Have you looked at the Boker Plus Edit? It's minimalist & a small fixed blade, Chad Los Banos designed in the Subcom theme
I like the overall design of the Boker Plus Edit better than any of the Boker - Los Banos designs, but I don't much care for the slotted cut-outs - I think holes would have looked much better.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

jag-engr wrote:Edit to Add: This maker has several different designs. Here is his main website.
Link to main website added.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Blerv wrote:Cool idea. I don't know if it's Spyderco's thing but I don't speak for them. I'd rather see a necker version of the Ronin.
Yeah -- I was just thinking last night that :spyder: should make a new Ronin neck knife.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis