Any ideas for a "Flipper" knife from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pharmagator

Any ideas for a "Flipper" knife from Spyderco?

Post by Pharmagator »

I know the spyder-hole makes the issue of a flipper-blade somewhat moot... but...

I recently purchased a Tim Galyean Custom Flipper (called the "Lahar") that has the ball-bearing washer system... added to the flip-type opening - you get a knife that is just about as fast as a auto!

I have an Endura with the Emerson-wave feature... and a Citadel Automatic knife... so I think that a flipper design might be something Spyderco would consider...

I will say that opening and closing my Military knife (or any other spyderco knife) with the spyder hole is MUCH more 'controlled' as compared to a flipper system... (that Lahar bit me HARD when I got a finger in the way when closing it...

anyway, just a thought... (say... a 'flipper' feature on the Stretch!)
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Pharmagator wrote:I know the spyder-hole makes the issue of a flipper-blade somewhat moot... but...

I recently purchased a Tim Galyean Custom Flipper (called the "Lahar") that has the ball-bearing washer system... added to the flip-type opening - you get a knife that is just about as fast as a auto!

I have an Endura with the Emerson-wave feature... and a Citadel Automatic knife... so I think that a flipper design might be something Spyderco would consider...

I will say that opening and closing my Military knife (or any other spyderco knife) with the spyder hole is MUCH more 'controlled' as compared to a flipper system... (that Lahar bit me HARD when I got a finger in the way when closing it...

anyway, just a thought... (say... a 'flipper' feature on the Stretch!)
A flipper wouldn't work on the stretch because of the ergonomics and 50/50 choil. That's one thing about a flipper is in an open position it becomes a large finger guard--something you usually see incorporated into the handle rather than the blade with spydies. Also I don't think a flipper is possible with a backlock..in fact I'm sure it isn't, at least I can't picture it. It would be interesting to see though. I wouldn't necessarily object to the idea, but it would have to be a completely design.
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

there was an interesting point brought up in the benchmade forums when someone had a similar suggestion for a flipper axis knife.

one big technical issue is the lock type - a flipper knife requires an 'open build' knife, which has generally meant liner lock. The locking bar of the lockbacks and axis bar on benchmades would get in the way of the flipper when the blade was closed. A compression lock would actually be a good Spyderco option.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

A flipper with a Spyderhole wouldn't be too strange, since flippers are usually paired with thumbstuds. I like flippers, but I've found with time that I've stopped using them on all my knives that have a thumb deployment option as well. Just seems to work better for me.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

There's a little rumor going around on the USN that a prototype of such a knife has been sent to Spyderco by Mr. Brad Southard. That's all I'm saying.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I'd definitely get one. :D
Just a crazy idea but... How about you take the hole, shrink it and place it in the flipper itself? :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

No flippers for me, please! They're in the way, pointless (Spyderco hole is #1 for a safe and sure opening), and great for bad knife exposure. Just my opinion, but I really can't stand them. I bought a Camillus Cuda with that and assisted opening (another useless feature) years ago - what a waste of $300.00. Now it just takes up space.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thread from 2009

sal wrote:Hi Harkamus,

Eric has designed a few knives with Carson flippers as well as assisted openers. In fact his designs incorporated a flipper that folded into the finger choil. He did these years ago.

We've been hesitant to make assisted openers or knives with flippers for the reasons mentioned above. The NKP's can't tell the difference and if they look like a switch-blade, they will be more than likely be thought of as a switch-blade. Assisted openers are in a battle right now with US Customs over legality.

We've been making one-handers for almost 30 years with no problems. One hand opening capability being the feature rather than quick opening.

When we did make an "auto" in the form of a Balisong (some imported parts), we got hammered by customs.

We have a large Laci Szabo folder design in R&D which has both a hole opener and a flipper. We're more than likely going to leave off the Carson flipper.

These are challenging times for knife-makers the world over (legal carry issues). Many of our customers like to carry knives without legal concerns. That's why we make such a large variety of smaller knives as well as non-lockers (Locking folders are being banned for legal carry in many countries already). We make up for the smaller sizes by using ergonomic grips which provide control and safety as well a superior steels.

sal
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post509182
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The flipper is my second favorite opening method after the Spydiehole. However, the guard would have to be integral to the design since the flipper offers little advantage other than fun.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The Mentaculous wrote:I don't think a flipper is possible with a backlock..in fact I'm sure it isn't, at least I can't picture it.
If you Google for the "SOG Twitch" you'll find a flipper AO with back-lock. It's a real triumph of design though because the back-bar is hollow and the flipper pokes through it when closed :)

As much as I love flippers, I can see that they might not be high on Sal's list of things to do for all the reasons he gave ... they do look way too much like a switchblade to a non-knife person :(
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
unit

Post by unit »

I probably would not be interested. I have grown an appreciation for deployments where my thumb pushes the blade all the way to the lock position.

I value control over speed.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

ok... pretty much what I had been thinking...

I do think that flippers are a lot of fun to play with... but I always seem to carry a Military - and one reason is that I am in charge of the opening and closing of the blade at all times...

I have cut my fingers more than once on my Galyean flipper... and I am sure that it would appear to NKPs to be a switchblade because of how fast it opens...

however, I did buy a spyderfly just for the novelty, even though I have never considered it as an EDC choice... I am sure I would buy a Spyderco flipper...(probably 3 or more!)
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I won't say I'm completely uninterested in the possibility of a :spydie: AO/flipper, especially now that AO's have been cleared by the President, but I also think they would mostly be a novelty as I can open just about any of mine with enough speed that a flipper would be pretty much redundant (i.e. the time to actually open the blade is pretty much indiscernible from the time to flip an auto switch without a high-end timer to tell differences in milliseconds). If you like flippers, there is always the Emerson opener aka Wave feature on Delicas, enduras and P'kal blades that I think you might enjoy. faster than any flipper as the blade is open as soon as it leaves your pocket.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
sal

Post by sal »

As with most new concepts, there will be some that like the idea and some that do not. Real world testing is still best. When we do such a concept, we try to serve the customer for that idea.

While we've been very busy with design and R&D, I will say that we've got a concept model of a flipper and a hole (from one of our forumites) that is quite nice and we're planning to bring it to our next shows.

sal
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

sal wrote:While we've been very busy with design and R&D, I will say that we've got a concept model of a flipper and a hole (from one of our forumites) that is quite nice and we're planning to bring it to our next shows.
Interesting news Sal ... I am salivating at the thought ... I wish I could get to one of your shows :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've never owned a flipper...not sure how i feel about the idea of an assisted opening Spydie....My main interest in a flipper is how they make for such a nice finger guard/choil.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Just because it is a flipper doesn't mean that it has to be assisted....
On the hunt for...
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

The only advantage that I see in a flipper, provided the knife is well built and fast (I'm talking about knives in general, not just Spydercos), is that the flipper can act as a handguard. Apart from that, thumbstuds/opening holes can be or are as fast as even assisted flippers.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Just because it is a flipper doesn't mean that it has to be assisted....
Yeah, i was referencing an earlier post that said an AO Spydie was in the works.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am cautiously interested. A flipper done right can be a nice knife. If it is one of Brad's I would probably like it even more. He does some very nice knives and I would own one or two if I could afford them.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal