Any ideas for a "Flipper" knife from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

I looked up IKBS and this video shows the insides of the ball bearings. There is another brand that uses the IKBS but housed in a washer to keep from losing if/when taken apart...makes more since.

[video=youtube;bw0yjnmwUDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... w0yjnmwUDY[/video]
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i have a g&g hawk with the ikbs system-WOW-they are smooth
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

michaelm466 wrote:from bladeforums thread on this knife...

"Should be out towards the end of the year. Planned for CTS-204P.

sal"
If I had known earlier that this was going to have 204P, I would probably have held off on the KnifeWorks 204P Para 2 and put the money towards this instead! Oh well, maybe I'll just turn around and sell the Para 2 when it shows up and use the money for this instead. I've been longing for a Southard custom for quite some time, but this should be a much more economical way to get one of his knives, not to mention I don't have to wait for him to finish up his two year order backlog!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jossta

Post by jossta »

I have a $30 CRKT with IKBS. It's AWESOME.
Slash

Post by Slash »

jabba359 wrote:If I had known earlier that this was going to have 204P, I would probably have held off on the KnifeWorks 204P Para 2 and put the money towards this instead! Oh well, maybe I'll just turn around and sell the Para 2 when it shows up and use the money for this instead. I've been longing for a Southard custom for quite some time, but this should be a much more economical way to get one of his knives, not to mention I don't have to wait for him to finish up his two year order backlog!
don't worry, you still have all year to save up. this will probably cost in the high 200 though.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Sorry if I've missed it but does this Brad Southard design have an official name yet?

Or is it simply known as the Spydie flipper? :D
sal

Post by sal »

Right now it's the "Southard folder".

sal
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

My version of it (without the Spyderhole) Is called the AWT. Which I named after one of my favorite authors. A.W. Tozer.

I should also note. That photo floating around is one of my custom prototypes. Not a Spyderco prototype. I really should have never posted that photo, but alas, its far to late now.

Not everyone is gonna dig the flipper, not everyone is gonna dig the Spyderhole, to me the real benifit of both, is that sometimes I dont wanna flip a knife open quickly. Sometimes I wanna open it nice and slow, smooth and quiet. Doesnt scare the non knife folk nearly as much, and in a CQC enviroment it can help conceal the knife. But a flipper and a Spyderhole are my favorite opening methods so it was an obvious choice to join them. I always like more options!
Flipper tab also acts as a nice guard. When I first got into knives I really didnt care for flippers, but I got one anyways just to see if I could understand why so many folks like them. I fell in love!

Just my thoughts, and explaination of my design.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I'd definitely be in for a Southard collaboration (or other) with a fliphole. I'm quite certain we can depend upon Spyderco to deliver the good. :D
Slash

Post by Slash »

that does make sense about scaring the non knife people. your final prototype design I'm sure it will do well. you know I'll get at least one...for sure.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Brad S. wrote:My version of it (without the Spyderhole) Is called the AWT. Which I named after one of my favorite authors. A.W. Tozer.
Looking forward to some future knives:

the Dickens ("When he whipped out his knife, it scared the Dickens out of me!")
SLC (Samuel L Clemens, but also works as a Nitrobe 77 based knife safe for use in any great salt lakes or other wet and corrosive environments)
Vonnegut (hunting knife with a gut hook)
and the JKR (the Joker, aka J.K Rowling)!
:p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

NICE !!!
I would love to see this flipper with the IKBS - super smooth.
Felt similar bearing system on the Tilt and 777 - almost magic smooth :D

I would be in for atleast 1. Black or Blue - and stonewashed FFG blade - sweeet.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

If its anything close to the photo/prototype from the first page, and has 204P I'll definitely be getting one, a bearing system would be great too, but I'll get one either way.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Brad, I missed you this past January. Sal said that you moved away even further? How can I reach you and please, let Sal know where you are. Are you doing OK? I trust you are and i hope to see you at the Blade Show in Atlanta, if you are planning to go there...
Well, good to know you are still around. All the best and See you later...
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Thanks, Brad. Looking forward to this one.
Brad S. wrote:My version of it (without the Spyderhole) Is called the AWT. Which I named after one of my favorite authors. A.W. Tozer.

I should also note. That photo floating around is one of my custom prototypes. Not a Spyderco prototype. I really should have never posted that photo, but alas, its far to late now.

Not everyone is gonna dig the flipper, not everyone is gonna dig the Spyderhole, to me the real benifit of both, is that sometimes I dont wanna flip a knife open quickly. Sometimes I wanna open it nice and slow, smooth and quiet. Doesnt scare the non knife folk nearly as much, and in a CQC enviroment it can help conceal the knife. But a flipper and a Spyderhole are my favorite opening methods so it was an obvious choice to join them. I always like more options!
Flipper tab also acts as a nice guard. When I first got into knives I really didnt care for flippers, but I got one anyways just to see if I could understand why so many folks like them. I fell in love!

Just my thoughts, and explaination of my design.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

sal wrote:Right now it's the "Southard folder".

sal
Thanks Sal. You could call it any name under the sun and I'd still buy one. Love it.
BAL

Post by BAL »

No flipper for me.
Give me Spyderhole or give me death.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Minibear453 wrote:Actually, can't the military take a flipper?
Great idea and
Why we are at it, why don't we add a hat to Mona Lisa and for crying out loud
can't someone straighten that **** Tower of Pisa and we could kill two birds
with one stone and take all of the trash in the world and fill in that huge-***
hole in Northwestern Arizona
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

It might look something like these?:

Kinda looks like a Stretch blade (Nice)

All are lovely and like the extra finger guard by the flipper.
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

BAL wrote:No flipper for me.
Give me Spyderhole or give me death.
Amen
:spyder:74:spyder: