help decide; cricket or Dfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Anton

help decide; cricket or Dfly?

Post by Anton »

Hello everyone!

I recently recieved my Manix2 CE and I love it! However, I can't EDC such a big knife here in sweden. The solution: a small sheeple-friendly knife is needed.

I've looked at the SS cricket and G10 Dragonfly, and just can't decide which one to get. My daily tasks is normal EDC, busting boxes, peeling vegetables etc. (and of course keeping the polar bears at a distance since we have lots of those ;) ). VG10 seems like the perfect steel for me and since I have the sharkmaker recurves are not a problem.

I would like it to be easily cleaned by rinsing in water and that I can close and open with one hand only (I find that the Manix2 easily accomplish all this).
Anton

Post by Anton »

Please help me decide and let me hear your arguments and opinions.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Welcome to the forum Anton...Dragonfly would be my choice, maybe it's me but I tend to think of the Cricket as a good money clip...I have both of those knives, in all their variants...I tend to lean towards the Dfly for everyday chores....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Dragonfly is on my list to get. To me it feels bigger is the hands.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

The Dragonfly is very versatile and can do all those mentioned tasks very well, ergos are also fantastic. Compared to the Cricket it's a bit thicker and heavier but if you're used to lugging around a Manix2 (which IMHO is a brick of a knife) it shouldn't be a problem. :p
The S-curve on the Cricket is great for straps, cord and that little beak just zips boxes like no tomorrow, BUT for food related tasks like peeling fruit, it won't do that so well. It just doesn't have a long enough even surface to peel fruit IMO. It is very light and thin so it really disappears in your pocket. ;)

Oh and seriously, WTF is up with those polar bears!? They just won't leave us alone! :mad:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Creepo wrote:The Dragonfly is very versatile and can do all those mentioned tasks very well, ergos are also fantastic. Compared to the Cricket it's a bit thicker and heavier but if you're used to lugging around a Manix2 (which IMHO is a brick of a knife) it shouldn't be a problem. :p
The S-curve on the Cricket is great for straps, cord and that little beak just zips boxes like no tomorrow, BUT for food related tasks like peeling fruit, it won't do that so well. It just doesn't have a long enough even surface to peel fruit IMO. It is very light and thin so it really disappears in your pocket. ;)

Oh and seriously, WTF is up with those polar bears!? They just won't leave us alone! :mad:

I hear it's global warnings....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

2cha

Post by 2cha »

Dragonfly.

To date, I've avoided the Cricket because it looks like a PITA to sharpen. I'm sure it's doable, for me, however, the assumption of extra labor doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off for the added benefit of the "beak"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

2cha wrote:Dragonfly.

To date, I've avoided the Cricket because it looks like a PITA to sharpen. I'm sure it's doable, for me, however, the assumption of extra labor doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade off for the added benefit of the "beak"
Why does everyone think the S curve is a PITA to sharpen...it's really a snap....but I still vote Dragonfly....Doc :D

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I vote Dragonfly if you want a VERY secure grip for a small package.

I vote Cricket if you want something a bit different for light tasks that's VERY thin.

They both have great purposes but a rounded contoured handle provides more hand "sink-in". The Cricket is super thin and like functional rugged jewelry.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely the Dragonfly, especially if you opt for the G10 version. That's a ton of knife in a tiny package.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jijoel

Dragonfly

Post by Jijoel »

I would also say g10 dragonfly.

dragonfly and big manix :cool: .
Beanie-Bean

Dragonfly

Post by Beanie-Bean »

You'll really like the Dragonfly.
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

Another vote for the G-10 Dragonfly. It definitely feels bigger than it looks in hand. The ffg blade cuts like a laser.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Another vote for the Dragonfly. More versatile. Great ergos. Get the G10 version. It's a knife you will keep forever.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
dwong

Post by dwong »

I got the ss d'fly, cricket, spin.
d'fly will do it it, spin dose most tasks, cricket doesn't seem to fit your usage.
(the cricket/spin is easier to clean with the open back)
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

The Cricket is a cutting powerhouse. I have done many jobs with my cricket that should have required a larger knife and the cricket blew through them. Even with the SS handle the shape gives you a great grip.

One the other hand the Dragonfly has one of the most universal blade shapes that can do almost anything. If this is going to be the only knife in your pocket, get the Dragonfly. I highly doubt there will be a task that will come up that the Dragonfly can't handle.

Get both, but the Dragonfly first.
DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Klingsteve

Post by Klingsteve »

Dragonfly Dragonfly Dragonfly, in G10, G10, G10.

There, I said it 3 times. The third time is the charm! :)

You won't be disappointed.

-- Owner of 2 G10 Dragonflys (one user, one backup in case something unthinkable happens to it!)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

+1 for the Dragonfly. Big fan. Quite possibly the "perfect" Spyderco knife - it fits in the hand like no other knife its size - and cuts like a blade twice its size.

It doesn't get much better than the Dragonfly...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Love 'em both, but I have to say Dragonfly if I was gonna buy one.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Don't have a cricket yet (want to get an etched one for a decent price), but I love my G-10 Dragonfly. It's very classy and refined, and is a joy to use.

The leaf-shaped blade works great for all my EDC tasks, and is very easy to sharpen and get a razor edge on. Definitely easier to sharpen than the reverse-S shaped blade.