Sal: MoonGlow Material Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Simsmac

Sal: MoonGlow Material Info

Post by Simsmac »

Hi Sal,

A bunch of people, including myself, over on EDCForums.com are interested in finding out more about the MoonGlow scale material that was used in the EDCF Manix 2 (see this thread). I was wondering if you would share anything about the material, and the testing you did with it. Specifically, how durable it is compared to other scale materials, how easy it was to machine, and any technical specifications you are able to share. I was only able to find one source online that sold the material, and they didn't have specs posted for it. Another forumite called that particular dealer, but didn't get much info.

Thanks to Eric, yourself, and the Spydercrew for making such a cool knife! Everyone is abuzz with praise on EDCF. I'm very happy with mine. :)

-Simsmac

PS: If any users have knowledge about or experience working with this material, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say too.
Donut

Post by Donut »

In my opinion, it doesn't look machined. It seems like it came in a flat sheet, was cut into the scales and that's it.

I could be wrong, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Donut wrote:It seems like it came in a flat sheet, was cut into the scales and that's it.
I agree. By machined, I meant working on the material in general (cutting, chamfering, polishing etc.).
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I looked into using it on a fixed blade and was advised by a large knifemaking materials supplier that it was quite brittle and subject to chipping. Since it has nothing like fiberglass or carbon fiber as a matrix (AFAIK), that made sense. It's also pretty expensive.
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Or this.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I bet if you wanted to make your own micarta (I know some folks do this), you can buy Glow Inc's powder and mix it into the resin. That might work well.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

If you do that most of the glow would be blocked by linen though, that's why this thing has no fiber support.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It is made from unobtanium. It's infused with radiation. That's why it glows. Sal will take the secret to his grave.

;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
potterma

Post by potterma »

OK, back to reality....

Having worked with Moonglow quite a bit, I can offer some observations.

My best guess is it is a polyester base, based on smell and how it works. Think polypearl, if you've ever worked with that stuff.

If you drop it it may break, or it may just deform, depending on how hard it hits and what it hits.

It works very easily with hand tools. Turning and milling are a breeze, but don't run it to fast or too aggressively. It will start to melt if the tool gets hot or chip out with too much feed.

You can do a certain amount of heat forming with the stuff, though it doesn't seem to like to take a lot of bend before it decides to break.

I've seen people use it as a backspacer. That's fine as long as its supported with standoffs in the middle. The stuff is just too soft and fragile to be used as a mechanical member.
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

JNewell wrote:Or this.
This was the one (and only) manufacturer that I could find. They don't seem to have any information on the material though.
Monkeywrangler wrote:I bet if you wanted to make your own micarta (I know some folks do this), you can buy Glow Inc's powder and mix it into the resin. That might work well.
That has been done before, but the end product doesn't glow very well. Also, I'm more interested in this material specifically than other GITD materials.
potterma wrote:My best guess is it is a polyester base, based on smell and how it works.
Your nose is quite keen. :) The letter that the knife came with identifies MoonGlow as "a long-wearing polyester-based laminate infused with luminescence that soaks in natural and manmade light."
potterma wrote:If you drop it it may break, or it may just deform, depending on how hard it hits and what it hits.
Would you rank it as less durable than G-10?
potterma wrote:You can do a certain amount of heat forming with the stuff, though it doesn't seem to like to take a lot of bend before it decides to break.
The dealer the EDCF user contacted said that it was "stiff but bendable," not as bendable as Kydex but "probably more bendable with a little heat," which I thought to be a bit miraculous. Was that an overstatement?

Thanks for the responses all.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

What I was/am kicking around is doing a three-layer laminate for Mule scales, with orange on the inside, blue in the middle and moonglow on the outside. I'm thinking it would be the ultimate outdoor all-viz combo if the scales are contoured enough to expose a noticeable amount of orange and blue. :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Would you rank it as less durable than G-10?
I'd guess yes, much less durable than G10. Remember that G10 is epoxy with glass fiber matrix. This is simply acrylic resin. There's going to be a big difference in durability and strength. That may not be critical where the acrylic is backed by a steel liner, as with the Manix, though. Just don't drop it or use the knife as a hammer. ;)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Do the glow properties of this stuff diminish with time or use?
:bug-red-white
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

I have no idea. The V10 powder from GlowInc "will loose 5% of the glow over 10 years" according to their website, so I would assume similar lasting power for MoonGlow, depending on what was used to make the material glow.
potterma

Post by potterma »

Simsmac wrote: Would you rank it as less durable than G-10?
MUCH less durable than G-10.
Simsmac wrote: The dealer the EDCF user contacted said that it was "stiff but bendable," not as bendable as Kydex but "probably more bendable with a little heat," which I thought to be a bit miraculous. Was that an overstatement?
I've managed to get it to bend through about 90 degrees before it broke. I wouldn't say it is anywhere near the bending ability/toughness of kydex, I gave up on it pretty quickly, though,so perhaps with more patience and more heat one could have better success.
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Looking at the size of the sheet they're selling (5x12), you could probably get at least four pairs of scales for a Mule out of one sheet, which brings the cost down a little (~ $12.50 per pair before shipping).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Simsmac,

Most of the comments made should give you a good idea. It's difficult to machine and also must be surface ground. It's not a tough as G-10. It isa quite unique and as I understand, there are other models also planned to use this material from the EDC forum.

sal
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

sal wrote:Hi Simsmac,

Most of the comments made should give you a good idea. It's difficult to machine and also must be surface ground. It's not a tough as G-10. It isa quite unique and as I understand, there are other models also planned to use this material from the EDC forum.

sal
Thanks Sal! I appreciate you taking the time to confirm the info from everyone. Jon has shared with us that there will be another MoonGlow knife, but he's keeping the details secret so we'll be surprised. He's such a tease! :p