delica4 saber grind vs.delica4 ffg.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MANIXWORLD

delica4 saber grind vs.delica4 ffg.

Post by MANIXWORLD »

i have both delica4s and its interesting to see how much these 2 blades differ from each other.
The saber grind D4 feels so much stouter and tough to my FFG D4,but i realy like that the same knife can feel so different
my FFG D4 feels perfect for delicate slicing superthin cuts,and my saber grind D4 is great for cutting up more abrasive,tough material like cardboard,clamshell packaging,rubber,plastic bottles..
Im a bit skeptic taking my FFG D4 to any hard cutting tasks,but isnt it great having the other options available in the D4 range.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I love my saber ground delica 4 SE Saber ground for work on the farm. I have held the FFG but it has not really wowed me (I am in the minority!) but I am sure the PE would be great in FFG but I love my saber ground SE.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MANIXWORLD wrote:i have both delica4s and its interesting to see how much these 2 blades differ from each other.
The saber grind D4 feels so much stouter and tough to my FFG D4,but i realy like that the same knife can feel so different
my FFG D4 feels perfect for delicate slicing superthin cuts,and my saber grind D4 is great for cutting up more abrasive,tough material like cardboard,clamshell packaging,rubber,plastic bottles..
Im a bit skeptic taking my FFG D4 to any hard cutting tasks,but isnt it great having the other options available in the D4 range.
I have a Delica 4 saber grind ZDP-189. I don't have a Delica FFG but would like to get one in time. VG-10 is available now and ZDP-189 in FFG will be available sometime this year. I do have the Stretch FFG and agree with Manixworld that they differ quite a bit in how they cut. The saber grind Delica (short and stout) is great for the tasks on tougher material and the Stretch FFG I like for slicing especially where a slightly longer blade is necessary like when cutting a thick hamburger in half. One item Manix mentioned that he liked the saber grind for was clamshell packages I like the FFG for. I think Manixworld listed individual items as examples, not specifics. The reason I mention it is that stiff, thin plastic (clambshell) doesn't want to spread apart as the saber grind blade cuts through it. This is only relevant if you are cutting the plastic by penetrating the material and then slicing. If the plastic or calmbshell is laying on a piece of wood and only the edge penetrates the material then the grind isn't an issue. So, when opening a clambshell package (especially when I want to keep the packaging for some reason) I prefer the FFG because a saber grind blade get thicker quickly and tries to seperate the material which may crack it. Again, this is only an issue if I want to keep the packaging.

I commented on this to agree with Manixworld that the difference in how these two grinds cut is bigger than I ever would have imagined 10 years ago. Back then I only carried one knife at a time and never even thought about the grind when making a purchase not to mention the steel the blade was made of. I was kind of aware of these differences but never cared enough to buy better quality knives than you would see at Wal Mart. Actually, the Wal Mart where I live is carrying some nicer knives than I used to expect. I also consider these attributes about a knife when buying a gift for someone even if they don't know about the finer details about knives and the differences they make (not that I'm an expert, I'm not). Right now I'm thinking about this because I'm going to get my son a knife for his birthday in May and I want to get him one that he will like a lot even if he doesn't know why.

Then comes the hollow grind which I like better than the saber grind. It gives a better "thin behind the edge" feature but also has a thicker spine for strentgh. I consider it a compromise between the saber and the FFGs.

Jack
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I think the saber grind has some really good applications...I hope that Spyderco will keep the D4 and E4 saber grinds in the catalog.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

jackknifeh wrote: . . . I'm going to get my son a knife for his birthday in May and I want to get him one that he will like a lot even if he doesn't know why.
Jack
That is an awesome statement Jack. I think it speaks not only about your son, but also about how Sal and company must feel about their knives. They put a lot of thought, research, and testing into making the best production knives available, , , , and yet the 'average' customer has no idea why their favorite knife is their favorite knife. When they look to find out why, , they like it even more.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SQSAR wrote:That is an awesome statement Jack. I think it speaks not only about your son, but also about how Sal and company must feel about their knives. They put a lot of thought, research, and testing into making the best production knives available, , , , and yet the 'average' customer has no idea why their favorite knife is their favorite knife. When they look to find out why, , they like it even more.
I'm not going to get my son a Spyderco. The gas station I stop at a lot has $3.00 pocket knives with race cars on the handle. I think he will like one of those. :D Just kidding of course. I know this is the Spyderco forum so when we talk about knives it is usually Spydercos we talk about. That becomes an assumption of course. I say this because you seem to assume I'll get my son a Spyderco. That is an accurate assumption on your part. It also made me realize that from the time I started thinking of what knife to get him I only thought about Spyderco models. That wasn't a process of elimination it seems to have bacome my "default" company to think of when I think of knives, especially when buying a gift. Either (1) I've unknowingly becom drawn into a "cult" or (2) they just produce quality products I have come to appreciate. :D I vote option (2). I usually put more thought into a gift than I do a purchase for myself.

Jack
marknett

Post by marknett »

When I bought my first Delica 4 vg-10 , around 6 months or so ago , I followed the advice of some of the people on this forum and went with a saber grind. For my use at work it was the right choice . Now I also take a stretch 2 zdp-189 ffg to work quite often and I have not had any problems with it chipping . I work my knives pretty hard when I use them and they have held up great .Both will take a killer edge and keep it . So back to the op's questions . FFG , I just love the look and feel of that style of blade . It cut smooth and clean with little effort ... SG is beefier but still cuts great without having to baby it as much . My preference would be FFG . Why? Because it just cool !!!
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Marknett, you like something just because it is cool?

Best answer I've ever heard. No further explanation necessary.

Well done. :D
Jack
marknett

Post by marknett »

jackknifeh wrote:Marknett, you like something just because it is cool?

Best answer I've ever heard. No further explanation necessary.

Well done. :D
Jack
What can I say ... :cool:
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

jackknifeh wrote:The saber grind Delica (short and stout) is great for the tasks on tougher material...
OK, Everybody sing along with Jack:

"I'm a little Spyderco,
Short and stout.
Here is my handle,
Here is my lock.
When I am opened up
See me cut!.
Rip me though that cardboard
Slice, slice slice!"

:rolleyes:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Imo, unless you are using your knife as a pry bar or screw driver which imo are things that knives should never be used for except in a true important emergency situation where there is no alternative, or for punching through metal (which is another thing that really shouldn't be done with a knife, imo) saber grind is unnecessary and simply does not cut as well as FFG for many many things. The Delica FFG is pretty thin but still plenty strong, imo. The blade is not going to bend or snap if used properly for cutting things a knife should be used for and not abused. (However, my preference would be for the Endura FFG which is a little thicker and therefore even stronger (not to mention longer), but still provides the advantages of FFG's superior cutting. And remember, more expensive knives like the Military and Para Military 2 as well as numerous other Spyderco models are FFG. Bears thinking about.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The FFG will do just fine cutting corrugated...just don't make a lot of twisting motions when cutting and you'll be fine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

the SG Delica4 should come in a black blade in all edge configurations..titanium nitride coated..this one says tacticle to me in so many ways. I know the combo edge comes in black blade,but the other edges will have new flavor added to it in this look..
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MANIXWORLD wrote:the SG Delica4 should come in a black blade in all edge configurations..titanium nitride coated..this one says tacticle to me in so many ways. I know the combo edge comes in black blade,but the other edges will have new flavor added to it in this look..
I think that would look good. From comments on this forum it seems more plain edges are sold than the combo or serrated so a black coating should sell in a black blade Delica PE. I know I like plain edges better. Who knows, I may even be tempted to buy one of those if they were available. I wonder if Sal and co. keep a database with all of the suggestions made on this forum for new or improved knives. :confused:

Can a black coating be put on a blade after I buy it or does it have to be done during the manufacturing process?

Jack
Slash

Post by Slash »

jackknifeh wrote: Can a black coating be put on a blade after I buy it or does it have to be done during the manufacturing process?

Jack
there are a few companies that could coat a blade for you or you could just do it yourself.

so long as there isn't oil and/or another coating that will interfere with the process it should be no problem.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jackknifeh wrote:I think that would look good. From comments on this forum it seems more plain edges are sold than the combo or serrated so a black coating should sell in a black blade Delica PE. I know I like plain edges better. Who knows, I may even be tempted to buy one of those if they were available. I wonder if Sal and co. keep a database with all of the suggestions made on this forum for new or improved knives. :confused:

Can a black coating be put on a blade after I buy it or does it have to be done during the manufacturing process?

Jack
There's one member here, jforbush, IIRC, who does awesome cerakoting jobs.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

MANIXWORLD wrote:i have both delica4s and its interesting to see how much these 2 blades differ from each other.
I agree 100%. I have had the Delica saber grind,ZDP-189 knife for several months. I mentioned in this thread I was going to get my son a knife. I decided to discuss it with him to get a better idea of what he would want. In our discussions about the difference in knives he picked up on the fact that I really wanted a Delica FFG/ZDP knife. Well, he beat me to the punch by getting me one for my birthday since mine is one month before his. I'll be getting him a Caly 3 next month. Now, like MANIXWORLD, I have two knifes that are identical except for the grind and can see the difference only one change can make. Looking at the spine the FFG is about half as thick as the saber grind. I did take the back bevel down to 12 degrees per side on the saber blade which increased it's slicing ability. It is not as much of a slicer as the FFG but definately better than it was out of the box. Now I ask which I like better and the answer is neither. I pick the one to use by the tasks I know I will be doing. If I am going out for a day when I have no plans to use a knife I take the FFG because it suits my needs more often than the saber grind, but each to his own. I wonder if there is a company that provides the variety of features that Spyderco does. I'm thinking most companies have model 1, 2, 3, etc. Spyderco has model 1 (with different options), model 2 (with different options), etc. in several of their models. Look at the Delica, Endura, Manix, Sage, etc., etc., etc.

Jack
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Regardless of "feel," my Delica FFG hasn't yet met a box it couldn't open, or dismantle quite easily without damage to the blade. The thin FFG blade is still very strong, except for things like prying, or using like a crow bar, which in my opinion constitutes abuse that no knife, (except perhaps a bayonet), should be subjected to. But if you intend to pry with your knife, then obviously a saber grind would be the better choice.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

&quot wrote:The reason I mention it is that stiff, thin plastic (clambshell) doesn't want to spread apart as the saber grind blade cuts through it. This is only relevant if you are cutting the plastic by penetrating the material and then slicing.
When you slice stuff like this, or cardboard, don't hold the knife at a 90-degree angle to what you are cutting. This forces the material to spread apart side-to-side, which it resists doing.

Instead, hold the knife at a 45-degree or less angle. This causes the material to spread front-to-back, and the knife will slice a lot more efficiently.

It's like tearing cardboard, or a magazine. Usually you tear front-to-back, not by pulling side-to-side.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I like full flat grind. A saber is good for added strength on a "thinner" blade. Saber is also good in weight saving.

For more strength, I just like a thicker blade in full flat grind.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white