Bring back the Mini Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If it was offered again, would you buy a Mini Manix?

Yes
61%
No
29%
Maybe
11%

Total votes: 76

Ben_1323

Bring back the Mini Manix

Post by Ben_1323 »

For the longest time I was a Manix 2 fan. However, as my Spyderco experience grows, and having just received a Mini Manix (which I paid an arm and a leg for) I can say how wrong I was. I now believe it is a better knife than the M2 in every way, especially the lock. I would love to see it brought back as a sprint run or regular production in any steel or handle material.

I would be interested in seeing what the forum thinks about this. I know there are at least a few more Mini Manix fans out there.
grg

Post by grg »

I would definitely buy another,or two,or three.I haven't felt the same since I misplaced
my mini manix in a Gary Graley sheath over a year ago,luckily I have a couple of back ups,but that collector #29 is sorely missed.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I always wanted an original Manix and mini, but never had the funds when they were around. There are some good features to the new Manix 2, but the regular production model doesn't interest me.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The C95 manix is more my speed...
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I would get both a mini manix and a large one. I have one of each now and they are really nice.
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

zidfeldts wrote:i would get both a mini manix and a large one. I have one of each now and they are really nice.
+1
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I recently got a C95 and love the design, but the knife is just too big for regular carry for my tastes. The baby version would be lovely.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
prime77

Post by prime77 »

I so would buy another. I recently got a used one off of ebay that only had some pocket clip wear for a great price. I switched that clip out for the one on my older combo edge one them stripped the worn one. Now I have a really nice like new Mini Manix. One of my all time favorite Spydies.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have one already, never use it because it's too bulky and the blade is too thick for my taste. Stretch and Caly 3.5 give me a bit more blade length in more compact packages with thinner blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't have a Manix anything but am planning on getting a Manix 2 very soon. I like the features of the Manix 2 I'm planning on getting and hope I like the knife as much as I think I will. If I do I'm sure I'd also be interested in a mini-Manix. My first question is how long is the blade on a Mini-Manix? The Manix 2 blade is 3 3/8". I think a Mini-Manix blade should be 2 3/4" long or so. There should be enough of a difference in the two knives to make the decision on which one to buy as big of a choice as there is in buying any other two knives. I mentioned in another thread that I think it would be nice if Spyderco would come out with a "set" of knives that are similar. A Manix 2 and a Mini-Manix is just the kind of thing I was thinking of. Personally, I like carrying two knives. My favorite right now is a Michael Walker (2.5" blade or so) and a Stretch (3.5" blade). This is a nice variation in the tasks these two knives would be good at.

Plus, I would like either a mini or a maxi in a lot of knives. I would like to see a Mini-Stretch with a blade around 2 7/8" or so.

Why can't Spyderco do this. Come out with the mini-Manix again but change the names of both. The Mini-Manix could be called the Manix 3 and the current Manix 2 could be called the Maxi-Manix. Just kidding, that was an attempt at humour (sort of). :D

Jack
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ben_1323 wrote:For the longest time I was a Manix 2 fan. However, as my Spyderco experience grows, and having just received a Mini Manix (which I paid an arm and a leg for) I can say how wrong I was. I now believe it is a better knife than the M2 in every way, especially the lock.
You need to get C95, this is the Manix.
Any Manix is too big and bulky for my pocket to became my EDC. Caly3.5 and original Persian are satisfying all my daily needs, but in the case if I need heavy duty knife I would prefer C95 by large margin, fortunately I have one. So I voted "No"
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

I prefer the lock, steel and grind, but apparently there are many who didn't like the price.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Can anyone post a picture of a manix II next to a mini manix. I recently picked up an orange manix II and really like it. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

REcently snagged a c95 in beater condition( significant regrind/reprofile was done but looks ok). DH loves it, and wants a Mini to help expand his collection.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I like my Mini Manixes, but think they're too heavy and bulky, compared to the new Manix 2. I understand why one would prefer the Mini Manix to the regular production Manix 2, but a flat ground Manix 2 with skeletonized liners beats the Mini Manix IMHO.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
prime77

Post by prime77 »

BHDKnifer wrote:Can anyone post a picture of a manix II next to a mini manix. I recently picked up an orange manix II and really like it. Take care.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Mr Blonde wrote:I like my Mini Manixes, but think they're too heavy and bulky, compared to the new Manix 2. I understand why one would prefer the Mini Manix to the regular production Manix 2, but a flat ground Manix 2 with skeletonized liners beats the Mini Manix IMHO.
Mine feels quite light, especially for its size. Definitely lighter than my Manix 2 (regular production). I can see why the Manix 2 FFG sprints would be lighter though.

I'm definitely on the lookout for a C95, but they're even rarer than the 83mm.

To me, the defining characteristics of the Mini Manix are the 4 mm FFG blade (which is taller than the Manix 2 blade) and the thick back lock. I own at least one of every type of lock Spyderco makes and it's by far my favorite. With the Chinook discontinued, there isn't a Spyderco remaining with these features.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Mr Blonde wrote:I like my Mini Manixes, but think they're too heavy and bulky, compared to the new Manix 2. I understand why one would prefer the Mini Manix to the regular production Manix 2, but a flat ground Manix 2 with skeletonized liners beats the Mini Manix IMHO.
I'd agree that my CF/S90V Manix 2 is lighter, but to me there's no discernible difference in thickness. I'm not a huge fan of the Mini Manix, but I would still carry one before I'd carry a Manix 2. For me, the midlock beats the CBBL in terms of both ease of closing and blade retention when closed, closed frame construction wins over open, and the Manix 2's jimped liners and oversized lanyard hole are points against it in terms of esthetics. Not to mention that, on the off chance I wanted to opt for clipped carry, the Mini Manix supports LH/TD while the Manix 2 does not. That said, for the slight difference in closed length, the C95 has them both beat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Mini is a very nice knife. I also like the Manix 2 alot.

However, nothing obliterates plastic clamshell packaging on merchandise like the original Manix. Mine made my life a lot easier this past Christmas.

I just realized that this has little to do with the original thread.

I would vote for another run of the original Manix.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Deacon wrote: For me, the midlock beats the CBBL in terms of both ease of closing and blade retention when closed, closed frame construction wins over open, and the Manix 2's jimped liners and oversized lanyard hole are points against it in terms of esthetics. Not to mention that, on the off chance I wanted to opt for clipped carry, the Mini Manix supports LH/TD while the Manix 2 does not. That said, for the slight difference in closed length, the C95 has them both beat.
Funny, it's those exact features and differences that make me prefer the Manix 2; I prefer the caged ball lock, love the blade retention when closed and the smooth opening action, proud liners and sharp jimping, and LH/RH tip-up carry is all I want. :D
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram