8 Day old Delica 4, Peice of junk...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Maybe get a Manix 2. I dropped mine, closed, onto the tile floor in my living room from perhaps two feet up, and it didn't get a mark on it! Didn't loosen, either! :D
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Hmm, the SS model is rather vulnerable to this sort of thing I'm afraid. Combination of weight and inability to tighten up the pivot that does it. Hope you get it back soon. This accident has happened to all of my knives at least once before, never had a problem. (I had a Delica, Opinel and Millie experience some tip chipping but that's to be expected.)

The FRN Delica is the bomb.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This sounds like a fluke to me...i've never heard of a knife breaking internally from being dropped. I'd be interested in seeing the internals but i guess that'll never happen. I know you're upset but i wouldn't let this effect your feelings on the knife or Spyderco...things like this happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I have tried to avoid these types of posts but this one makes me laugh. Since when is damage done by the end-user a fault of the manufacturer. What level of indestructibleness (not really a word) was expected from a 64 dollar knife? I have dropped both my SS Delica 4 and SS Dragonfly onto concrete from higher with no ill effect (aside from some scratches). Maybe I am lucky. I do know from personal experience that if there is a defect in a knife Spyderco will make it right, no questions asked. That is about the best warrenty you could hope to find. I found that out on a recent purchase after carrying spyderco's for more than 10 years.

I am relatively new to posting here but among the things I have learned from following this forum is that calling spydies pieces of junk in the hopes of getting positive feedback is pretty futile. Even with that, you will still get the advice you need. You may not like the form it comes in but people here will still take the time to help you out.

Apologies if this comes off as being preachy, not my intention.
unit

Post by unit »

I say contact Spyderco W&R. Their answer is only one that matters.

I quit reading after the first few posts, so pardon any repetition here. Take all the emotion and what-not out of this. The knife was dropped, something is not right now. Yes, you dropped it, but the real question here is should the knife be able to handle what you allowed it to do....That is spyderco's call.

Now if you want my opinion? This sounds odd, I would have guessed that the knife would have handled such a drop without breakage (scratches and dings would be expected). Give the fine people at W&R a call...They have the important answers...mine is just BS guessing.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

unit wrote:Now if you want my opinion? This sounds odd, I would have guessed that the knife would have handled such a drop without breakage (scratches and dings would be expected). Give the fine people at W&R a call...They have the important answers...mine is just BS guessing.
All true, but the fact that there's a 90% chance something will not damage a knife does not mean the knife can be faulted if it's in the 10% that do not. Lots of things that would not be damaged by a three foot fall onto any other type of flooring will sustain damage if dropped that distance onto ceramic tile. No telling how the knife was oriented when it struck, and all stainless knives constructed blind pins are not designed to resist impacts at odd angles. If there's no pin obviously sticking up sunk below the handle slab, the lock spring may have shifted.

Worth giving W&R a call, sure.

Reasonable to expect it to be considered a warranty issue, no.

At least an outside chance it's something they can fix for a reasonable charge, yes.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TacticalEcto,

Sorry for your negative experience. I hope customer service can sort it out for you and I hope we can improve your thoughts about Spyderco.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm with Paul. Even the rare chance that something can happen doesnt mean it never will. People can fall two feet, hit their head and die. Not common but possible.

W&R should sort it out. I wouldn't let this change your bias towards the knife or brand. It's not indicative of the product.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

yablanowitz wrote:So let me see if I have this right. You dropped your knife onto a hard surface, and it is somehow Spyderco's fault? Your first action, rather than contacting them is to jump on the internet, throw a tantrum and call the knife a piece of junk? Very mature. Very reasonable.

The warranty information is printed on the bottom of the tray portion of the box. If Spyderco will not repair or replace the knife, I will refund your purchase price out of my own pocket, if you promise to go away and not buy another knife until you grow up.
He may sound a little inmature...but you sound like a real tool. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I had previous experiences with droping Spyderco's on tile and what i can say is
THAT WAS MY FAULT! I do not expect Spyderco to change my knives for free....just my 2 cents...I learned my lesson ....now i'm carefull... :)
bh49

8 Day old Delica 4, Peice of junk...

Post by bh49 »

yablanowitz wrote:So let me see if I have this right. You dropped your knife onto a hard surface, and it is somehow Spyderco's fault? Your first action, rather than contacting them is to jump on the internet, throw a tantrum and call the knife a piece of junk? Very mature. Very reasonable.

The warranty information is printed on the bottom of the tray portion of the box. If Spyderco will not repair or replace the knife, I will refund your purchase price out of my own pocket, if you promise to go away and not buy another knife until you grow up.
+1
Jack,
I am with you. " 8 Day old Delica 4, Peice of junk..." So if you buy a brand new car and hit a tree, this is car manufacturer fault? Lately these kind of posts make me a little aggravated. So 50% of cost is on me, but I want a copy of promissory note.
BHDKnifer wrote:He may sound a little inmature...but you sound like a real tool. Take care.
I am with yablanowitz on this, which I think making me "real tool" as well. The little problem I have here due to English being my second language, I am not sure what you mean. Can you, please clarify?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

bh49 wrote:The little problem I have here due to English being my second language, I am not sure what you mean. Can you, please clarify?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tool

Definition 5 and/or 6 are how he's using it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:+1
Jack,
I am with you. " 8 Day old Delica 4, Peice of junk..." So if you buy a brand new car and hit a tree, this is car manufacturer fault? Lately these kind of posts make me a little aggravated. So 50% of cost is on me, but I want a copy of promissory note.

I am with yablanowitz on this, which I think making me "real tool" as well. The little problem I have here due to English being my second language, I am not sure what you mean. Can you, please clarify?
+2 Roman, guess I'm a tool too. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I dropped my kris today on a hard tile floor at work from about 2 feet. I was pretty worried at first because I can't go buy a new one. Luckily its fine. I made sure to inspect it but it doesn't have a dent or anything
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I dropped my Manix2 today...luckily the floor is easily replaceable.. :D
On the hunt for...
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Can I just say it sounds like the spring which drives the lockback may have shifted? Frankly I am with the Deacon (among others) here in not expecting a knife to necessarily survive a fall onto tile unscathed. Its just such incredibly hard stuff...... take a moment and think about the impulse force involved.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hey people, take it easy on the guy. He came in a bit upset but I think he gets it now.
aedmband21

Post by aedmband21 »

TacticalEcto wrote: I know that its not "technically" their fault, it would have been cool to have a warning label on it explaining how, It will break no matter how well you take care of it...
This reminds me of Dunkin Donuts having to put CAUTION HOT on their coffee cups because some moron spilled coffee on themselves and blamed the store for it being too hot. Lame attempt at sarcasim or not, the fact that this even came into your head is exactly what's wrong with society today...
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I hope everything works out for you.
I have dropped just about every knife i have had and even have thrown a few and had nothing more than a scratch on them. It sounds like a fluke accident and/or just plain bad luck..
Ms89glide

weird

Post by Ms89glide »

I've dropped my spydercos in the closed position from that distance more than once and have never had a problem. Dragonfly and terz c-19. Something doesn't sound right.