Stretch 2 workout

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marknett

Stretch 2 workout

Post by marknett »

The strecth got a pretty bad workout. Had to use it in a micro-dust (crushed shell and rock) related job that required a lot of cutting. this powder got all in the knife and bushings . This micro-dust is extremely abrasive and corrosive . How did the stretch hold up ? After extensive cleaning and relubing I'm happy to say the knife is even smoother opening and closing than it was . No visible damage at all and the zdp-189 even held its edge through all of it . Excellent knife !!!
A very tough test and it passed with honors .. Great job spyderco :D
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Congrats! :)
Any pitting of your ZDP blade?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Good to here. I've had nothing but good luck with ZDP.
marknett

Post by marknett »

no pitting that I can see and no chipping on the edge . I'm sharpened at a 30° conclusive
no mcro-bevel . and it held up fine ..What surprised me was that it was still sharp enough to shave arm hair after that workout ... very impressed . :)

Mark
unit

Post by unit »

Sounds like your dust and fines may have polished the moving parts?

I must echo your enthusiasm for that knife. The ZDP Stretch always brings a smile to my face. A couple days ago it brought a cut to my face though (I decided to try and shave with it...and it did quite well, but I got the tip/point up against my cheek near my ear). I did not notice the cut until I was done though :)

Great blade, and it holds up against corrosion better than some seem to think (though, I grew up with carbon steel).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I love the Stretch. And ZDP is great stuff...I think that the Stretch is the perfect knife in many ways.
On the hunt for...
marknett

Post by marknett »

unit wrote:Sounds like your dust and fines may have polished the moving parts?

I must echo your enthusiasm for that knife. The ZDP Stretch always brings a smile to my face. A couple days ago it brought a cut to my face though (I decided to try and shave with it...and it did quite well, but I got the tip/point up against my cheek near my ear). I did not notice the cut until I was done though :)

Great blade, and it holds up against corrosion better than some seem to think (though, I grew up with carbon steel).
Shaving with a pocket knife :eek: arr arr arr It's a man thing .. :D

Mark
unit

Post by unit »

marknett wrote:Shaving with a pocket knife :eek: arr arr arr It's a man thing .. :D
It is a special blade too ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

marknett

Post by marknett »

Yea I've seen pics of your stretch 2 blade completely polished .... awesome work

Mark
unit

Post by unit »

Thanks, now can we see some pictures of yours? They are all beautiful...especially the users!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

marknett

Post by marknett »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I love the Stretch. And ZDP is great stuff...I think that the Stretch is the perfect knife in many ways.
I would have to agree with you there ... I love this knife . The funny thing about it was it never just jumped out at me . I was wanting something in zdp-189 and thanks to someone one from this forum , they pointed out a clearance sale on the stretch and I bought one . After I held it in my hand , I was hooked . Now i think , how could I have not noticed this knife more before :confused:

Mark
marknett

Post by marknett »

My camera phone sucks but I'll try to post something :)
Attachments
hand shot stretch.jpg
hand shot stretch.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
strectch zdp189.jpg
strectch zdp189.jpg (97.95 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
my knifes.jpg
my knifes.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 1414 times

Mark
DeathBySnooSnoo

marknett wrote:I would have to agree with you there ... I love this knife . The funny thing about it was it never just jumped out at me . I was wanting something in zdp-189 and thanks to someone one from this forum , they pointed out a clearance sale on the stretch and I bought one . After I held it in my hand , I was hooked . Now i think , how could I have not noticed this knife more before :confused:
Same thing here. It doesn't seem to be a knife that attracts a lot of attention. I think that it's sort of stuck in a space between a Delica and Endura and because of that a lot of people will ignore it. But I think that it is better than both of those by a long shot. I love my ZDP and I think that I will get a VG-10 if I can find one at a really good price.

As much as I would like the CF version, it's a bit expensive for what it is. The cheapest I have seen those is about $150.

Now a proper done up nice CF one, that would be really great. The FRN for daily use and then the CF for carrying in jeans or dress clothes.
On the hunt for...
marknett

Post by marknett »

yea cf would be nice ...

Mark
DeathBySnooSnoo

See that Stretch just sits in the hand like it was made to...oh right, it was! I lent mine to a buddy that has massive hands and even he loved the way it fit. I have slightly above average hands...I wonder if small handed people find that it works for them too?
On the hunt for...
TBob

Post by TBob »

I never noticed the Stretch CF until I actually handled one at a show. It followed my home and hasn't left my pocket since that day, displacing my beloved Endura 4 FRN. The ZDP-189 cuts like crazy and seemingly forever. It's a very tough act to follow. I later picked up the FRN ZDP-189 model as an emergency backup.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
GTP2K1

Post by GTP2K1 »

I feel like the Stretch and the Police model's both get left in the shadow of the Endura, yet have better ergonomics for actual use. I want a CF-ZDP Police model now :)

Some kinda Stretch II is in my pocket just about any time I have a pocket to stick one in.
Endura I (First Spydie)
Tenacious (Work)
Para2, Strech II (EDCs)